New developer

Fao, Sean

I am a Java/C#/Flash developer with experience witth WebSphere, WebSphere
Portal, DB2, J2SE, J2EE, IIS6 and several other technologies. I want to
pick up C or C++ to add another tool to the belt. I am concerned on which to
begin with, C or C++. I am familiar with the OO concepts from my Java
experience, and I came from a VB6 background as well so I have done
procedural development also.

Where should I start? Do I need to learn C or C++ since I already know C#
and Java. Seems to me that there are no real benfits for me to learn a C
language because I already have C# on the Win platform and Java for all
platofrms.

Personally, I would recommend you start with C (actually, I recommend
everybody start with Assembly but that's another story). If you're a
C#/Java programmer, you haven't worked with pointers yet. You can't
learn pointers overnight, either. Start from the ground and work your
way up. Besides, C is a great language and still very heavily used. In
addition, contrary to many peoples belief, C++ is not a "new and
improved" C. You will find learning C easy in some aspects because you
already know the other two languages.

Good luck,

Sean

Jeff Schwab

John said:
Hello,

I am a Java/C#/Flash developer with experience witth WebSphere, WebSphere
Portal, DB2, J2SE, J2EE, IIS6 and several other technologies. I want to
pick up C or C++ to add another tool to the belt. I am concerned on which to
begin with, C or C++. I am familiar with the OO concepts from my Java
experience, and I came from a VB6 background as well so I have done
procedural development also.

Where should I start? Do I need to learn C or C++ since I already know C#
and Java. Seems to me that there are no real benfits for me to learn a C
language because I already have C# on the Win platform and Java for all
platofrms.

You don't need to learn C first. Read _Accelerated C++_ by Koenig &
Moo. Good luck, and welcome!

John

Hello,

I am a Java/C#/Flash developer with experience witth WebSphere, WebSphere
Portal, DB2, J2SE, J2EE, IIS6 and several other technologies. I want to
pick up C or C++ to add another tool to the belt. I am concerned on which to
begin with, C or C++. I am familiar with the OO concepts from my Java
experience, and I came from a VB6 background as well so I have done
procedural development also.

Where should I start? Do I need to learn C or C++ since I already know C#
and Java. Seems to me that there are no real benfits for me to learn a C
language because I already have C# on the Win platform and Java for all
platofrms.

Help!!

TIA

-john

John Harrison

John said:
Hello,

I am a Java/C#/Flash developer with experience witth WebSphere, WebSphere
Portal, DB2, J2SE, J2EE, IIS6 and several other technologies. I want to
pick up C or C++ to add another tool to the belt. I am concerned on which to
begin with, C or C++. I am familiar with the OO concepts from my Java
experience, and I came from a VB6 background as well so I have done
procedural development also.

Where should I start? Do I need to learn C or C++ since I already know C#
and Java. Seems to me that there are no real benfits for me to learn a C
language because I already have C# on the Win platform and Java for all
platofrms.

Help!!

Well there you have it, two completely contradictory opinions. Neither is
definitive of course, but given your background I'd strongly recommend
Jeff's suggestion, read Accelerated C++.

But either way you are going to have to get your head round some unfamiliar
concepts, C++ and Java are very, very different, even though both claim to
be object oriented.

john

Dave Moore

Fao said:
Personally, I would recommend you start with C (actually, I recommend
everybody start with Assembly but that's another story). If you're a
C#/Java programmer, you haven't worked with pointers yet. You can't
learn pointers overnight, either. Start from the ground and work your
way up. Besides, C is a great language and still very heavily used. In
addition, contrary to many peoples belief, C++ is not a "new and
improved" C. You will find learning C easy in some aspects because you
already know the other two languages.

Considering the above was posted *only* to a C++ specific newsgroup, I
supposed it is what is refered to as a troll, but I'll bite anyway.

C++ is not better or worse than C per se, but I think it is a *much*
easier language to learn. The high-level facilities and type-safety
(relative to C anyway) generally make designing and writing workable
code much easier than the same in C. C is much lower level which
typically means you must keep your eye on the small details even when
writing code that is conceptually more abstract. That said, I expect
there are applications for which C is a better choice .. just none
that I am familiar with personally.

HTH, Dave Moore

JKop

John posted:
Hello,

I am a Java/C#/Flash developer with experience witth WebSphere,
WebSphere Portal, DB2, J2SE, J2EE, IIS6 and several other
technologies. I want to pick up C or C++ to add another tool to the
belt. I am concerned on which to begin with, C or C++. I am familiar
with the OO concepts from my Java experience, and I came from a VB6
background as well so I have done procedural development also.

Where should I start? Do I need to learn C or C++ since I already know
C# and Java. Seems to me that there are no real benfits for me to learn
a C language because I already have C# on the Win platform and Java for
all platofrms.

Help!!

TIA

-john

I myself treat C++ as an independant language. I have no concern for C, it
is an extinct language in my opinion that has been supersceeded by C++.

People say that C is more "low-level". C++ is the C programming language
with extra stuff added. It keeps the syntax, it keeps the keywords, adds
more keywords, adds more functionality. For example, everything that can be
done in C++ can be done in C, but it's allot more tedious. Similarly, in
languages without polymorphism, you _can_ still use polymorphism, as
follows:

class Hjk
int (*Hello)(char*);

C++ just deals with the tedious pointers in the background so that you can
move on and produce some real code.

I challenge someone to produce a C program with better performance than a
C++ program. They should perform exactly the same. C is definitely not more
"low-level" than C++.

In my own opinion, learning C right now before learning C++ would be like
learning to drive a 1950s car before you hop into your new benz. What's the
point?!

-JKop

Default User

JKop said:
I myself treat C++ as an independant language. I have no concern for C, it
is an extinct language in my opinion that has been supersceeded by C++.

Considering your lack of skill with C++, your opinion counts for little.

Brian Rodenborn

JKop

Default User posted:
Considering your lack of skill with C++, your opinion counts for
little.

Brian Rodenborn

My lack of skill with C++?

Would you like to fabricate a few more stories there?