    Just starting to do some windows Client / Server programming. Which
    would you recommend? I need to create a server to fire events and
    communicate with clients over a lan. Thanks

    Dan, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Dan

    Guest

    IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    recommend it.

    , Mar 24, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    > recommend it.

    But it's so cool.

    Butternut squash, Mar 24, 2006
  4. Butternut squash <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    >> recommend it.

    >But it's so cool.

    It's cool to have bugs?

    That really BUGS ME!
    --
    Regards,
    Casey

    Casey Hawthorne, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Dan

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    Casey Hawthorne <> writes:

    > Butternut squash <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    >>> recommend it.

    >>But it's so cool.

    > It's cool to have bugs?
    >
    > That really BUGS ME!

    You're cool! :)

    --
    Jorge Godoy <>

    - Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
    - Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

    Jorge Godoy, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    >> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    >> recommend it.

    I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
    win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
    Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
    primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
    me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

    Dan, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Hi Dan

    Pythonwin just adds support for specifically MS Windows features, most
    prominently COM; writing Excel scripts in python is so cool. The
    standard python distribution for windows runs perfectly on windows.
    I'm not sure whether this was clear to you or not. Also, Thomas
    ctypes and comtypes (by Thomas(?) Heller) also allow COM integration,
    though I don't think it is as complete as the pythonwin support.

    Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
    Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
    sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
    although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

    rgds
    Caleb

    Caleb Hattingh, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Dan a écrit :
    >>>IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    >>>recommend it.

    > I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
    > win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
    > Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
    > primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
    > me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

    Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
    software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
    someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
    wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

    Just my cents...

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Mar 24, 2006
  9. Dan

    Guest

    Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

    > Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
    > software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
    > someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
    > wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

    I find this comment curious, as IronPython *is* an open source
    software.
    Even if Microsoft is to stop its development today, anyone can pick up
    the
    source and continue.

    Seo Sanghyeon

    , Mar 25, 2006
  10. Dan

    Guest

    Caleb Hattingh wrote:
    > Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
    > Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
    > sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
    > although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

    This is not completely true. IronPython is developed by the IronPython
    team in Microsoft, not only by Jim Hugunin. From the IronPython mailing
    list, at least following Microsoft employees are working on IronPython:
    Jim Hugunin, Dino Viehland, Martin Maly, Haibo Luo.

    Seo Sanghyeon

    , Mar 25, 2006
  11. a écrit :
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
    >>win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
    >>Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
    >>primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
    >>me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

    > Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
    >
    >>Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
    >>software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
    >>someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
    >>wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

    > I find this comment curious, as IronPython *is* an open source
    > software.

    based on a proprietary runtime (yes, I know, Mono... but there again,
    there are legal issues to consider). And what will happen when MS
    discontinue dotnet ???

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Mar 26, 2006
  12. Dan

    Fuzzyman Guest

    wrote:
    > IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
    > recommend it.

    I know at least one firm developing production quality software using
    IronPython, so your statement 'nowhere near' is a bit off.

    They're pretty close to a full Python 2.4 implementation , and the list
    of bugs shrinks daily.

    It's not a project that's about to disappear either.

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Mar 26, 2006
  13. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks to all, my main concern about anything Microsoft picks up and
    runs with is that they vear off just slightly from the "standard" and
    freeze everyone else out like they have done with their browser,
    javascript etc.. etc... etc... So for now I will try to use Python /
    PythonWin with the COM support. Dan

    Dan, Mar 27, 2006
  14. Dan

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Thanks to all, my main concern about anything Microsoft picks up and
    > runs with is that they vear off just slightly from the "standard" and
    > freeze everyone else out like they have done with their browser,
    > javascript etc.. etc... etc... So for now I will try to use Python /
    > PythonWin with the COM support. Dan

    I shouldn't think that Jim Hugunin will divert from the standard. In
    fact he's even been asking on Python-Dev whether they should replicate
    the bugs in Python 2.4 or stick with the documented behaviour !

    Jim is in charge of the project and was the lead developer behind
    Jython - so he literally knows Python inside out.

    Anyway - PythoNWin and COM may well be the right approach for your
    problem anyway. :)

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Mar 27, 2006
  15. Dan

    Magnus Lycka Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Just starting to do some windows Client / Server programming. Which
    > would you recommend? I need to create a server to fire events and
    > communicate with clients over a lan. Thanks

    There are plenty of Python solutions for this, most of them
    work with Windows, but aren't locked to it.

    You might want to look at one of these:
    http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
    http://dabodev.com/

    See also