New development windows, IronPython or PythonWin

Dan

Just starting to do some windows Client / Server programming. Which
would you recommend? I need to create a server to fire events and
communicate with clients over a lan. Thanks

Jorge Godoy

Casey Hawthorne said:
It's cool to have bugs?

That really BUGS ME!

You're cool! :)

--
Jorge Godoy <[email protected]>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

Dan

IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

Caleb Hattingh

Hi Dan

Pythonwin just adds support for specifically MS Windows features, most
prominently COM; writing Excel scripts in python is so cool. The
standard python distribution for windows runs perfectly on windows.
I'm not sure whether this was clear to you or not. Also, Thomas
ctypes and comtypes (by Thomas(?) Heller) also allow COM integration,
though I don't think it is as complete as the pythonwin support.

Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

rgds
Caleb

Bruno Desthuilliers

Dan a écrit :
I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

Just my cents...

sanxiyn

Bruno said:
Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

I find this comment curious, as IronPython *is* an open source
software.
Even if Microsoft is to stop its development today, anyone can pick up
the
source and continue.

Seo Sanghyeon

sanxiyn

Caleb said:
Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

This is not completely true. IronPython is developed by the IronPython
team in Microsoft, not only by Jim Hugunin. From the IronPython mailing
list, at least following Microsoft employees are working on IronPython:
Jim Hugunin, Dino Viehland, Martin Maly, Haibo Luo.

Seo Sanghyeon

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
I find this comment curious, as IronPython *is* an open source
software.

based on a proprietary runtime (yes, I know, Mono... but there again,
there are legal issues to consider). And what will happen when MS
discontinue dotnet ???

Fuzzyman

IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
recommend it.

I know at least one firm developing production quality software using
IronPython, so your statement 'nowhere near' is a bit off.

They're pretty close to a full Python 2.4 implementation , and the list
of bugs shrinks daily.

It's not a project that's about to disappear either.

Fuzzyman

Dan

Thanks to all, my main concern about anything Microsoft picks up and
runs with is that they vear off just slightly from the "standard" and
freeze everyone else out like they have done with their browser,
javascript etc.. etc... etc... So for now I will try to use Python /
PythonWin with the COM support. Dan

Fuzzyman

Dan said:
Thanks to all, my main concern about anything Microsoft picks up and
runs with is that they vear off just slightly from the "standard" and
freeze everyone else out like they have done with their browser,
javascript etc.. etc... etc... So for now I will try to use Python /
PythonWin with the COM support. Dan

I shouldn't think that Jim Hugunin will divert from the standard. In
fact he's even been asking on Python-Dev whether they should replicate
the bugs in Python 2.4 or stick with the documented behaviour !

Jim is in charge of the project and was the lead developer behind
Jython - so he literally knows Python inside out.

Anyway - PythoNWin and COM may well be the right approach for your
problem anyway. :)

Fuzzyman

Magnus Lycka

Dan said:
Just starting to do some windows Client / Server programming. Which
would you recommend? I need to create a server to fire events and
communicate with clients over a lan. Thanks

There are plenty of Python solutions for this, most of them
work with Windows, but aren't locked to it.

You might want to look at one of these:
http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
http://dabodev.com/

See also