new game

Discussion in 'Java' started by e4_java, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. e4_java

    e4_java Guest

    i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

    if you can:
    draw (better than stick people)
    work with 3d
    whould like to design missions once the program is complete
    be a beta test
    provide a computer with a static ip to run the server for
    multi-computers and players mode
    or work with other java programing

    your help would be appreciated.

    the program will be placed under the GNU GPL (generally free) but you
    can sell the service of putting the game on a cd to people you know if
    you wanna make some money off of it. the finished game will be able
    to run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, or any os the java runtime has been
    ported to.

    if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
    please email
    e4_java, Oct 11, 2004

  2. On 10 Oct 2004 17:42:06 -0700, e4_java wrote:

    > i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

    It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
    artist and programmer the description of the game you have
    a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.

    > if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
    > please email

    If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Andrew Thompson <> scribbled the following:
    > On 10 Oct 2004 17:42:06 -0700, e4_java wrote:
    >> i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

    > It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
    > artist and programmer the description of the game you have
    > a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.

    >> if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
    >> please email

    > If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

    My little brother (14 years) used to frequent a Sonic the Hedgehog fan
    game discussion forum. It was full of messages that asked for help in
    implementing a new fan game. Most of the messages basically amounted to
    "I have this new idea, code it for me, and I'll take all the credit".
    The rules explicitly forbade this sort of messages but newbies wrote
    them nevertheless.

    "Hasta la Vista, Abie!"
    - Bart Simpson
    Joona I Palaste, Oct 11, 2004
  4. On 11 Oct 2004 09:47:19 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:

    > ...The rules explicitly forbade this sort of messages but newbies wrote
    > them nevertheless.

    ...well, what are the chances of posters like that actually
    *lurking* for a while before bursting out with their giddy,
    excited question? ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 11, 2004
  5. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    e4_java wrote:
    > i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

    Oh god, not you again.
    comp.lang.java.programmer is *not* a newsgroup where you should post
    messages that saying "please work on my project with me".
    If you post here, generally you should be asking specific java-related
    questions, and non-newbie ones, at that. (The beginner style questions
    should be asked in comp.lang.java.help.)

    > if you can:
    > draw (better than stick people)

    Stick people can't draw. They're too thin.

    > work with 3d

    I can navigate three dimensions and walk down the street without hitting
    stuff. Does that count?

    > whould like to design missions once the program is complete

    Spell. Checker. Also, try capital letters, they're great.

    > be a beta test

    whooo I wanna be a beta test. How does one become a beta test?

    > provide a computer with a static ip to run the server for
    > multi-computers and players mode
    > or work with other java programing
    >
    > your help would be appreciated.

    So, yet again, you seem to be looking for someone else to do all the
    work, from the sounds of it. Why don't you (gasp!) learn to program and DIY?
    Best of luck with find anyone, because you won't be finding anyone. Not
    with a post like that. And not by posting to an inappropriate newsgroup.

    I've told you before - you will have no luck with a badly written post
    like that, and to the wrong newsgroup - and obviously the message went
    in one ear and out the other. Why? Engage your brain please.

    > the program will be placed under the GNU GPL (generally free) but you
    > can sell the service of putting the game on a cd to people you know if
    > you wanna make some money off of it. the finished game will be able
    > to run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, or any os the java runtime has been
    > ported to.
    >

    > if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
    > please email

    Go away. Stop infesting the java newsgroups with off-topic crap.
    This style of post is not welcome here. You are not going to find any
    success posting here. Stop. Desist. Cease. Continue not. Abandon
    posting. Quit. Leave it off. Scrub your nads. Kill your newsreader.
    Refrain. Halt. Pack it in. End. Conclude your activity here.
    Discontinue. Abdicate your throne of cluelessness. Embrace cessation.
    Relinquish your whip of usenet pollution. Surrender your computer.
    Suppress yourself. Extinguish your mission. Terminate your packets of
    gloom. Look elsewhere. Squelch it. Vacate these premises. Abstain from
    posting. Withhold your requests. Abnegate your desire to rubbish this
    place. Yield to reason. Stop.

    alex
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 11, 2004
  6. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 10 Oct 2004 17:42:06 -0700, e4_java wrote:
    >

    >>i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

    > It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
    > artist and programmer the description of the game you have
    > a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.

    Yup. I think the guy is about 14 years old from the sound of it. Fair
    enough to have ambition, but pissing up a newsgroup isn't nice. And our
    feedback seems to be making no difference.

    >>if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
    >>please email

    > If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

    I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
    understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 11, 2004
  7. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 11 Oct 2004 09:47:19 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >

    >>...The rules explicitly forbade this sort of messages but newbies wrote
    >>them nevertheless.

    > ..well, what are the chances of posters like that actually
    > *lurking* for a while before bursting out with their giddy,
    > excited question? ;-)

    Can't someone retrofit eliza to talk about writing a great new game?
    Then we could send all the wannabe zero-effort-game-writers to talk to
    it, and leave fora and usenet alone!
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 11, 2004
  8. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:17:44 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:

    >> If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

    > I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
    > understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))

    (shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
    the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 11, 2004
  9. e4_java

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > Can't someone retrofit eliza to talk about writing a great new game?
    > Then we could send all the wannabe zero-effort-game-writers to talk to
    > it, and leave fora and usenet alone!

    BTW, has anyone done Eliza as an applet, or in some other webbrowser-accessible
    form ?

    I find it hard to believe that there isn't an Eliza server somewhere out there
    on the Web.

    (But feel too lazy too look ;-)

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Oct 11, 2004
  10. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:17:44 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >

    >>>If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

    >>I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
    >>understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))

    > (shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
    > the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)

    You can lead a newbie to facts, but you can't make him think.
    This is my conclusion re: my continuing email conversation with the guy.
    It's like a car-crash. :()
    I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email conversation? :/
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 13, 2004
  11. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:25:04 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email conversation? :/

    Sign all your emails with 'All submissions to this address
    are subject to reprinting at my discretion, at any future date,
    edited or shortened as per my requirement.'

    ...don't like your chances of getting responses though. ;-)

    Usually I do not resort to email unless it is implicitly private.
    Though, I'd also consider going to email if I'm offered obscene
    amounts of money to do so.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 13, 2004
  12. Alex Hunsley <> wrote in

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>>I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
    >>>understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))

    >> (shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
    >> the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)

    > You can lead a newbie to facts, but you can't make him think.
    > This is my conclusion re: my continuing email conversation with the
    > guy. It's like a car-crash. :()
    > I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email
    > conversation? :/

    Who cares about permission? He called you "gates," remember; that's an insult in my book. Just post it
    somewhere, other than this group, and leave a liink here.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Tris Orendorff

    Tris Orendorff, Oct 14, 2004
  13. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Tris Orendorff wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley <> wrote in
    >

    >>Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>>(shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
    >>>the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)

    >>You can lead a newbie to facts, but you can't make him think.
    >>This is my conclusion re: my continuing email conversation with the
    >>guy. It's like a car-crash. :()
    >>I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email
    >>conversation? :/

    > Who cares about permission? He called you "gates," remember; that's an insult in my book. Just post it
    > somewhere, other than this group, and leave a liink here.

    Ok, you made me be bad :0
    Being called 'gates' is an true insult, you're right about that.

    I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server but then you end
    up with annoyingly huge long lines. Anyone know of a tool that will
    format text to (e.g.) 80 chars but preserve attribution markers like '>'?

    alex
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 15, 2004
  14. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:01:28 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server ..

    I recommend you don't. Was there any explicit mention during
    these conversations that they would be up for public scrutiny?

    Stupid things that people do in public are their own responsibility,
    but I would hope that one-to-one conversations* that implicitly are
    between two individuals remain out of the general public domain.

    * And don't forget, Alex, you were effectively a willing participant
    in those one-to-one conversations, it's not as if he could have
    'spammed' them at you in the way people can blurt things out in
    the public news groups.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 15, 2004
  15. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:01:28 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Anyone know of a tool that will format text to (e.g.) 80 chars but
    > preserve attribution markers like '>'?

    Emacs can do that. When posting to Usenet, I routinely reformat quoted
    text (like the paragraph above) with a single keystroke (M-q) without
    having to fix the line prefix already included by my newsreader.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Adaptive-Fill.html

    There are also third party packages that enhance the basic behaviour.
    Here's one, there may be others:

    http://www.wonderworks.com/download/filladapt.el

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Oct 15, 2004
  16. e4_java

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:01:28 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >

    >>I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server ..

    > I recommend you don't. Was there any explicit mention during
    > these conversations that they would be up for public scrutiny?

    I wasn't planning on doing so without permission, but Tris exerted mind
    forces on me and I was weak.

    > Stupid things that people do in public are their own responsibility,
    > but I would hope that one-to-one conversations* that implicitly are
    > between two individuals remain out of the general public domain.

    Yeah, I won't do it.

    alex
    Alex Hunsley, Oct 15, 2004
  17. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:22:45 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:01:28 +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server ..

    >> I recommend you don't.

    > I wasn't planning on doing so without permission, but Tris exerted mind
    > forces on me and I was weak.

    I am familiar with the power of something that
    'seems like a great idea at the time' ..I just wish
    I had 'failed to act on them' more often. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 15, 2004
  18. e4_java

    Alan Little Guest

    Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Alex
    Hunsley of comp.lang.java.programmer make plain:

    > e4_java wrote:
    >>
    >> i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help
    >>
    >> if you can:
    >>
    >> be a beta test

    > whooo I wanna be a beta test. How does one become a beta test?

    Go around and get people to try you out and see if you have any bugs?

    --
    Alan Little
    Phorm PHP Form Processor
    Alan Little, Oct 20, 2004