new game

e4_java

i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

if you can:
draw (better than stick people)
work with 3d
whould like to design missions once the program is complete
be a beta test
provide a computer with a static ip to run the server for
multi-computers and players mode
or work with other java programing

your help would be appreciated.

the program will be placed under the GNU GPL (generally free) but you
can sell the service of putting the game on a cd to people you know if
you wanna make some money off of it. the finished game will be able
to run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, or any os the java runtime has been
ported to.

if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
please email (e-mail address removed)

Andrew Thompson

i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
artist and programmer the description of the game you have
a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.
if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
please email (e-mail address removed)

If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

--
Andrew Thompson

Joona I Palaste

It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
artist and programmer the description of the game you have
a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.
If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

My little brother (14 years) used to frequent a Sonic the Hedgehog fan
game discussion forum. It was full of messages that asked for help in
implementing a new fan game. Most of the messages basically amounted to
"I have this new idea, code it for me, and I'll take all the credit".
The rules explicitly forbade this sort of messages but newbies wrote
them nevertheless.

Andrew Thompson

Alex Hunsley

e4_java said:
i am writing a ship/space game and am interested in help

Oh god, not you again.
comp.lang.java.programmer is *not* a newsgroup where you should post
messages that saying "please work on my project with me".
If you post here, generally you should be asking specific java-related
questions, and non-newbie ones, at that. (The beginner style questions
should be asked in comp.lang.java.help.)
if you can:
draw (better than stick people)

Stick people can't draw. They're too thin.
work with 3d

I can navigate three dimensions and walk down the street without hitting
stuff. Does that count?
whould like to design missions once the program is complete

Spell. Checker. Also, try capital letters, they're great.
be a beta test

whooo I wanna be a beta test. How does one become a beta test?
provide a computer with a static ip to run the server for
multi-computers and players mode
or work with other java programing

your help would be appreciated.

So, yet again, you seem to be looking for someone else to do all the
work, from the sounds of it. Why don't you (gasp!) learn to program and DIY?
Best of luck with find anyone, because you won't be finding anyone. Not
with a post like that. And not by posting to an inappropriate newsgroup.

I've told you before - you will have no luck with a badly written post
like that, and to the wrong newsgroup - and obviously the message went
in one ear and out the other. Why? Engage your brain please.

the program will be placed under the GNU GPL (generally free) but you
can sell the service of putting the game on a cd to people you know if
you wanna make some money off of it. the finished game will be able
to run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, or any os the java runtime has been
ported to.

if you are interesting in knowing more about or would like to help,
please email (e-mail address removed)

Go away. Stop infesting the java newsgroups with off-topic crap.
This style of post is not welcome here. You are not going to find any
success posting here. Stop. Desist. Cease. Continue not. Abandon
posting. Quit. Leave it off. Scrub your nads. Kill your newsreader.
Refrain. Halt. Pack it in. End. Conclude your activity here.
Discontinue. Abdicate your throne of cluelessness. Embrace cessation.
Relinquish your whip of usenet pollution. Surrender your computer.
Suppress yourself. Extinguish your mission. Terminate your packets of
gloom. Look elsewhere. Squelch it. Vacate these premises. Abstain from
posting. Withhold your requests. Abnegate your desire to rubbish this
place. Yield to reason. Stop.

alex

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
It sounds like you are more interested in telling a graphic
artist and programmer the description of the game you have
a 'great idea' for, and getting them to code it.

Yup. I think the guy is about 14 years old from the sound of it. Fair
enough to have ambition, but pissing up a newsgroup isn't nice. And our
feedback seems to be making no difference.
If you are interested in further derision, please keep posting.

I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
..well, what are the chances of posters like that actually
*lurking* for a while before bursting out with their giddy,
excited question? ;-)

Can't someone retrofit eliza to talk about writing a great new game?
Then we could send all the wannabe zero-effort-game-writers to talk to
it, and leave fora and usenet alone!

Andrew Thompson

I've had an exchange with the OP over email. He accused me of not
understanding "GNU philosophies", and called me "gates". :))

(shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)

Chris Uppal

Alex said:
Can't someone retrofit eliza to talk about writing a great new game?
Then we could send all the wannabe zero-effort-game-writers to talk to
it, and leave fora and usenet alone!

BTW, has anyone done Eliza as an applet, or in some other webbrowser-accessible
form ?

I find it hard to believe that there isn't an Eliza server somewhere out there
on the Web.

(But feel too lazy too look ;-)

-- chris

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
(shakes head sadly) There is no use closing the gate after
the horse has fled, ..let alone the second or third gate. ;)

You can lead a newbie to facts, but you can't make him think.
This is my conclusion re: my continuing email conversation with the guy.
It's like a car-crash. :()
I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email conversation? :/

Andrew Thompson

I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email conversation? :/

Sign all your emails with 'All submissions to this address
are subject to reprinting at my discretion, at any future date,
edited or shortened as per my requirement.'

...don't like your chances of getting responses though. ;-)

Usually I do not resort to email unless it is implicitly private.
Though, I'd also consider going to email if I'm offered obscene
amounts of money to do so.

--
Andrew Thompson

Tris Orendorff

You can lead a newbie to facts, but you can't make him think.
This is my conclusion re: my continuing email conversation with the
guy. It's like a car-crash. :()
I wonder if I can get his permission to publish the email
conversation? :/

Who cares about permission? He called you "gates," remember; that's an insult in my book. Just post it
somewhere, other than this group, and leave a liink here.

--
Sincerely,

Tris Orendorff

Alex Hunsley

Tris said:
Who cares about permission? He called you "gates," remember; that's an insult in my book. Just post it
somewhere, other than this group, and leave a liink here.

Ok, you made me be bad :0
Being called 'gates' is an true insult, you're right about that.

I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server but then you end
up with annoyingly huge long lines. Anyone know of a tool that will
format text to (e.g.) 80 chars but preserve attribution markers like '>'?

alex

Andrew Thompson

I was going to put it up as a text file on a web server ..

I recommend you don't. Was there any explicit mention during
these conversations that they would be up for public scrutiny?

Stupid things that people do in public are their own responsibility,
but I would hope that one-to-one conversations* that implicitly are
between two individuals remain out of the general public domain.

* And don't forget, Alex, you were effectively a willing participant
in those one-to-one conversations, it's not as if he could have
'spammed' them at you in the way people can blurt things out in
the public news groups.

--
Andrew Thompson

Gordon Beaton

Anyone know of a tool that will format text to (e.g.) 80 chars but
preserve attribution markers like '>'?

Emacs can do that. When posting to Usenet, I routinely reformat quoted
text (like the paragraph above) with a single keystroke (M-q) without
having to fix the line prefix already included by my newsreader.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Adaptive-Fill.html

There are also third party packages that enhance the basic behaviour.
Here's one, there may be others:

http://www.wonderworks.com/download/filladapt.el

/gordon

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
I recommend you don't. Was there any explicit mention during
these conversations that they would be up for public scrutiny?

I wasn't planning on doing so without permission, but Tris exerted mind
forces on me and I was weak.
Stupid things that people do in public are their own responsibility,
but I would hope that one-to-one conversations* that implicitly are
between two individuals remain out of the general public domain.

Yeah, I won't do it.

alex

Andrew Thompson

Alan Little

Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Alex
Hunsley of comp.lang.java.programmer make plain:
whooo I wanna be a beta test. How does one become a beta test?

Go around and get people to try you out and see if you have any bugs?