New host needed

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Laphan, Nov 24, 2007.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi All

    We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
    been relatively happy until now.

    Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
    that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
    b*$£*"s if it don't work with your apps.

    In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
    are looking for a new host.

    Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
    can anybody suggest a better host?

    Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
    don't want to go down that route anymore.

    Thanks

    Laphan

    Laphan, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Laphan

    Brynn Guest

    On Nov 24, 8:34 am, "Laphan" <> wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
    > been relatively happy until now.
    >
    > Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
    > that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
    > b*$£*"s if it don't work with your apps.
    >
    > In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
    > are looking for a new host.
    >
    > Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
    > can anybody suggest a better host?
    >
    > Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
    > don't want to go down that route anymore.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laphan

    How many domains?
    Do you resell to others or only need room for your multiple domains?
    Do you only need IIS, ASP and MySql technologies?
    Do you need a certain amount of emails for each domain?

    I have done quite a bit of research on this topic ... please post what
    things specifically you need ... I will watch this post and reply.
    Granted I am to multiple dedicated servers now, but I still have a
    pretty good idea of who fits who's needs and stay up to date because I
    have plenty of friends that I am the go to guy when asking these sorts
    of questions (( and I don't want anyone but my projects on my
    servers )).

    Brynn

    Brynn, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi Brynn

    Thanks for getting back to me.

    The list is as follows:

    Ability to use name servers with our domains (we are members of Nominet, but
    don't have our own servers so our name servers are FHosts' name servers)
    Unlimited domains - we resell web sites / mailboxes to end users
    Unlimited sub-domains
    Unlimited bandwidth
    Unlimited web space
    Unlimited standard POP3 mailboxes
    Unlimited mail forwarders
    Ability to add advanced mailboxes (ie anti-virus/anti-spam) - we currently
    pay £10 per mailnox pa
    Web stats - currently pay £15 per site pa
    Classic ASP
    PHP - but not essential
    ASP.net - not essential as we haven't used this tech yet
    JMail
    ASPupload
    FTP configurable access, ie we configure certain sites to only get to
    certain areas of a site
    SSL space (ASP, JMail, ASPupload, etc savvy) - currently pay £50 per 50MB pa
    MySQL DB - currently pay £25 per 150MB pa (I think might be 300 MB now)
    ASP to MySQL DB connectivity (although this is the reason we are moving
    because of a change in policy)
    Unlimited Access DBs
    Would be keen to use SQL Server DBs, but they are too expensive of FHosts
    DSN-less connections
    Control Panel setup rather than sending requests to ISP tech
    24/7 support

    Wish list, but not essential
    ZIP functionality server side
    PDF creation server side
    greater ASP timeouts

    Apart from the additional service bits we pay £500 pa for this reseller
    account.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Laphan, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Laphan

    p byers Guest

    one and one - works for me - they are the bes I ever found
    Pete (Northolt UK)

    p byers, Nov 25, 2007
  5. Laphan

    Brynn Guest

    On Nov 24, 8:34 am, "Laphan" <> wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
    > been relatively happy until now.
    >
    > Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
    > that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
    > b*$£*"s if it don't work with your apps.
    >
    > In which case, we do not wish to pander to the FHosts machine anymore and
    > are looking for a new host.
    >
    > Bearing in mind what the Windows based FHosts reseller account can provide,
    > can anybody suggest a better host?
    >
    > Please note we were stung badly by 2 'from the attic' ISPs before so we
    > don't want to go down that route anymore.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Laphan

    It is going to be very very difficult to find anyone legitimate that
    is unlimited anything. I guarantee anyone that is unlimited anything,
    that when you get close to a limit they are uncomfortable with, they
    are going to come up with some reason that you are misusing their
    service or using too much of their something err other.

    I would humbly suggest starting to analyze what your customer base is
    utilizing and start a more structured hosting plan ... and just make
    it big vs unlimited ... then you can go with someone that will provide
    you with great service, and not have to worry about the attics. When I
    first started, I got stuck with an in the attic company and was
    totally unaware ... I DIED inside when I found out the hard way ...
    when their servers shutdown over night and I never heard from them
    again.

    THANKFULLY I had my domains sitting somewhere safe. I now use
    1and1.com and am going to start using serverbeach.com for a major
    project soon.

    Brynn, Nov 28, 2007
  6. "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
    > been relatively happy until now.
    >
    > Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
    > that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
    > b*$£*"s if it don't work with your apps.

    I've been using these guys for several years; never a problem, and always
    prompt to resolve any issues without being prodded & poked;

    http://www.reseller-center.com/

    Your choice of Windows or Linux hosts, and all accounts provide both SQL
    Server and MySQL facilities.

    - Bob.

    Bob Milutinovic, Dec 5, 2007
  7. Laphan

    Guest

    I have been using them for a long time also. However, these last few
    months I have been having a few issues and slow response time. Right
    now, I am going on a about 36 hours for a ticket to be resolved and I
    am unable to do the config change myself, so I need them to do the
    configuration, but I have not heard from them at all in reference to
    teh tickets. I have a very unhappy customer and I guess that I need
    another ASP provider due to the response times when the servers fail
    and they have to rebuild.

    Tom

    On Dec 4, 7:13 pm, "Bob Milutinovic" <> wrote:
    > "Laphan" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi All

    > > We've had a Fasthosts reseller account for quite a few years now and have
    > > been relatively happy until now.

    > > Unfortunately they've started to push out MySQL DBs (I think 4.2.x or 5)
    > > that don't work very well with classic ASP and basically said you can
    > > b*$£*"s if it don't work with your apps.

    > I've been using these guys for several years; never a problem, and always
    > prompt to resolve any issues without being prodded & poked;
    >
    > http://www.reseller-center.com/
    >
    > Your choice of Windows or Linux hosts, and all accounts provide both SQL
    > Server and MySQL facilities.
    >
    > - Bob.

    , Dec 27, 2007