New idea for internet documents reading

Discussion in 'XML' started by Luca, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. Luca

    Luca Guest

    Hello Everybody,

    I'm a 26 years old Italian "Florentine" Computer technician :)

    I'm writing you about an idea that I've got of a function that could
    be introduced in new web browsers (or even in other computer
    applications).

    I think nobody already had this idea but I'm not sure because I didn't
    look deep for it. I don't ask any copywrite for using it but please
    report my name if you like the idea I had.

    The function basically is something that makes reading web pages (or
    other sort of documents) easier and anybody who wants can try to
    create it.

    It could be a bit tricky for a computer programmer to write down this
    function (procedure?), but I think it could be quite useful,
    expecially for young people who can suffer epilepsy caused from vivid
    colours.

    The suggestion is the following:

    ------------------------------

    Using any web browser (and some other similar applications like word
    documents) I noticed that scrolling the web pages on the right with
    the scrolling bar the text of the web page can be read while I'm
    moving the page but it hurts the eyes and it gives a strange painful
    feeling after using it for long time.

    That's because moving the content of the web page or passing from a

    program to another (or a web page to another) it's not "graphically"
    soft.

    A sort of "blur effect", a sort of deconstruction and reconstruction
    of the
    text and images while it is scrolling (moving) could be added.

    Something similar to the new Start button in Windows XP which opens
    "softly" the list of "programs" (sorry, I don't remember the technic
    name of it) but applied to the content of the browser window.

    It could be less grievous for the eyes and I think that it could be
    something useful and closer
    to the user needs.

    It could be something that the user can activate or disactivate in
    relation to his preference so
    that he can choose if he wants it or not. A sort of personalization.

    My idea is to add a sort of "blurring" on the hypertext that is active
    when the button of the scroll bar is pressed and moved by the user in
    a window.

    The function works this way: when the up/down arrows on the top and at
    the end of the scrolling bar are used with single clicking nothing
    happens but when the user manually moves the button on the scrolling
    bar on the right of the active window the text and the images of the
    hypertext or document move up or down as they normally do but at the
    same time they gradually and partially fade (dissolve) (but not
    completely so that the user can see where he is located in the
    document).

    When the button (of the scrolling bar) is stopped and released the
    content (text and images) come back from partially faded to normal so
    that it can be read normally.

    It works quite similar to the blur filter of the well-known graphic
    program Photoshop by Adobe.

    Something similar to the function explained you above could still be
    applied inside the web browser in another situation; when a new page
    replaces the previous (on the same window) a sort of cross-fading
    between the two pages could be used.

    Looking with a positive view this function makes me think that it
    could make reading documents on
    computers much easier, less stressful and less hypnotic.

    ------------------------------

    It could be a bit complicated to write down the application but I
    think it could be useful.

    I hope all this was useful.

    Best regards,
    Luca Betti <>

    Luca, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Luca

    jake Guest

    Re: New idea for internet documents reading

    It is not exactly the same as what you are talking about. But scrolling
    on an Apple is very smooth. It is not a strain at all to scroll through
    documents.

    jake, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Luca

    CBFalconer Guest

    jake wrote:

    > It is not exactly the same as what you are talking about. But
    > scrolling on an Apple is very smooth. It is not a strain at all
    > to scroll through documents.

    What is 'it'? Who is 'you'? Where does 'you' talk, and about
    what?

    CBFalconer, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Luca

    Thad Smith Guest

    Luca wrote:

    > Using any web browser (and some other similar applications like word
    > documents) I noticed that scrolling the web pages on the right with
    > the scrolling bar the text of the web page can be read while I'm
    > moving the page but it hurts the eyes and it gives a strange painful
    > feeling after using it for long time.
    > A sort of "blur effect", a sort of deconstruction and reconstruction
    > of the
    > text and images while it is scrolling (moving) could be added.

    Intel and Microsoft will love it. Something new to entice me to throw
    out this year's computer and OS and get next year's! This will
    require more processor horsepower, of course, which is why Intel and
    AMD should like it. Add in the guys who do the high-end video cards.

    As the processors and video cards get faster, they should be able
    update the scrolling display more often, giving a smoother effect,
    which may reduce your objection.

    Actually, I think it would be interesting. I relate it to the
    differences while watching action on film. Traditional filming
    technique has a pleasing blur effect due to slow shutter speed, while
    some new styles use a higher effective speed, resulting in a more
    jerky presentation of motion. Saving Private Ryan, a film, used a lot
    of jolting high shutter speed sequences during the landing that I
    found distracting.

    Thad

    Thad Smith, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Luca

    Guest

    Re: New idea for internet documents reading

    Luca wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > That's because moving the content of the web page or passing from a
    > program to another (or a web page to another) it's not "graphically"
    > soft.
    >
    > A sort of "blur effect", a sort of deconstruction and reconstruction
    > of the text and images while it is scrolling (moving) could be added.

    There's really a much easier way. The major problem right now is that
    when you're scrolling, the text "jumps" a considerable distance at a
    time.

    Scrolling in smaller increments reduces (usually removes) the eye
    strain.

    Fortunately, this is pretty easy to do -- in fact, all the way back in
    the VGA (EGA?) days, the hardware had direct support for doing it. It's
    also quite easy to do in Windows (for example) -- when you scroll a
    window, scroll it by only one pixel at a time.

    The problem with this is that it produces relatively slow scrolling --
    and speeding up the obvious things (faster processor, faster video
    card) won't normally do any good at all.

    The problem is that most systems create a message saying "the mouse
    button is pressed" only as often as interrupts are received from the
    mouse hardware. In a typical case, this is 30 times a second. This
    means scrolling through one screen of information takes Yres/30
    seconds. Yres at the present time is typically going to be something
    like 768 or 1024. That translates to around 30 seconds to scroll
    through one screen of information.

    Now, with some extra work, it's entirely possible to do things a bit
    differently: when the user presses the mouse button, you arrange to
    receive all the messages from the mouse. You then scroll one pixel at a
    time, but instead of waiting for another mouse interrupt to scroll
    again, you just conitinue scrolling as fast as you can until the mouse
    button is released.

    > Something similar to the new Start button in Windows XP which opens
    > "softly" the list of "programs" (sorry, I don't remember the technic
    > name of it) but applied to the content of the browser window.

    XP supports a couple of different options -- one is that that menu
    "slides" open (basically on the same general order as I've outlined
    above) and another is that it "fades" in, starting out transparent and
    becoming progressively more opaque. Transparency is normally known as
    "alpha" and mixing together the values for the pixels to produce the
    semi-transparent effect is known as alpha blending. I suppose you could
    call this something like progressive alpha blending -- though I'm the
    first to admit that's pretty clumsy sounding.

    I don't think alpha blending would work very well for scrolling. To be
    effective, it has to be stretched over a relatively extended period of
    time. We'd get the same problem with slow scrolling as outlined above,
    except much worse -- if we did a full fade in or fade out in only
    1/30th of a second, you'd never notice it at all.

    In fact, if we decided to fade something in using 16 steps (I think
    that's around what Windows uses for the start menu) we'd be limited
    almost entirely by the refresh rate of the monitor -- if we try to
    update the display more often than the monitor is refreshed, some of
    the updates simply won't ever be visible.

    A typical monitor refreshes at around 80 times a second (at best). With
    a 16-step fade, that works out to scrolling 80/16 or 5 times a second.
    At this rate, we have to scroll a LONG ways at a time, or the scrolling
    will seem glacial.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.