New in Python , Need a Mentor

NewbiePythonic

Hello Friends,

I am very new to python and loved the easiness with which we can deal with problems. I would like to take things seriously and develop some good web applications. But right now I am stuck and looking for a mentor who can helpme out with improving my skills and knowledge . Looking forward to meet someone who can help me out.

Thanks & Regards

Chris Angelico

Hello Friends,

I am very new to python and loved the easiness with which we can deal with problems. I would like to take things seriously and develop some good webapplications. But right now I am stuck and looking for a mentor who can help me out with improving my skills and knowledge . Looking forward to meet someone who can help me out.

The best mentor for Python is actually your Python interpreter. As a
modern high-level language, Python's pretty helpful at finding
problems - anything that it detects as an error will be reported with
a thrown exception, with full traceback. Get to know your interpreter
via its interactive mode (on Windows, I strongly recommend IDLE - much
better editing/recall facilities than the command-line Python has),
and work through the tutorial:

http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html

After that, just do things and do things and do more things, and
you'll be Pythonning like an expert in no time... or rather, in about
a week or so. :)

And when you run into difficulties, this newsgroup/mailing list will
be happy to help out. Just remember to post a minimal test-case for
your problem, and *copy and paste* the error message with the full
traceback - that can be the difference between a protracted debugging
session and an almost reflex response from someone who can spot the
problem straight off.

Have fun! The world's a lovely place...

ChrisA

Wolfgang Strobl

Chris Angelico said:
The best mentor for Python is actually your Python interpreter. As a
modern high-level language, Python's pretty helpful at finding
problems - anything that it detects as an error will be reported with
a thrown exception, with full traceback. Get to know your interpreter
via its interactive mode (on Windows,

Right. In addition, i'd suggest applying the short recpie in
<http://code.activestate.com/recipes/65287-automatically-start-the-debugger-on-an-exception/>
(i.e. add that snippet to sitecustomize.py) and learn a little bit of
pdb. This works everywhere and comes quite handy for inspecting code
right after something throws an exception.

I strongly recommend IDLE - much
better editing/recall facilities than the command-line Python has),
and work through the tutorial:

Well, this is certainly a matter of taste. I'd recommend using some
small, language independent programmers editor and some modern
distributed version control system right at the beginning. Put your
code, even the smallest snippets, under version control, make that a
habit. Write small doctests for your code from the very beginning. Try
to construct your code so that it works equally well as a module and as
a standalone script Don't start developing web applications, write
some small utilities for your own needs, first.

Personally, I suggest SciTE and TortoiseHG on Windows, but that too is,
as I said, a matter of taste.

Chris Angelico

Well, this is certainly a matter of taste. I'd recommend using some
small, language independent programmers editor and some modern
distributed version control system right at the beginning. Put your
code, even the smallest snippets, under version control, make that a
habit. Write small doctests for your code from the very beginning. Try
to construct your code so that it works equally well as a module and as
a standalone script Don't start developing web applications, write
some small utilities for your own needs, first.

Personally, I suggest SciTE and TortoiseHG on Windows, but that too is,
as I said, a matter of taste.

I don't edit code in IDLE, I just use it for interactive work. For
actual script editing, agreed (though I use git rather than hg), but
it really does help to have a way to *very* quickly test a line or two
of code.

ChrisA

Sells, Fred

The need for a "python-aware" editor is the commonly held opinion, althoughthe debate about which editor is endless. I use Eclipse + PyDev only because I found it first and like it.

The only suggestion I would offer is to separate the business logic completely from the HTML request/response handler. It makes it much easier to debug.

Other than that, ditto to everyone else's response.

Fred.