New install of VB6 doesn't recognize IIS

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by AlBruAn, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. AlBruAn

    AlBruAn Guest

    There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within the next
    few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing VB6/ASP
    applications. For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net and C#
    exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6 skills. Anyway...

    My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the development
    environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a virtual machine using
    Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro and the IIS component on the
    virtual machine and was able to install VB6 without any problem. I can
    create any kind of application BUT an IIS application. When I attempt to do
    so, I get an error message back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer
    Web Services 3.0 or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

    What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to get
    this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    --
    Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.

    AlBruAn, Dec 6, 2008

  2. AlBruAn

    Bob Barrows Guest

    AlBruAn wrote:
    > There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within
    > the next few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing
    > VB6/ASP applications.

    Huh? "VB6/ASP"? ASP supports the use of scripting languages like vbscript
    and jscript ... not VB ...

    > For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net
    > and C# exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6
    > skills. Anyway...
    >
    > My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the
    > development environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a
    > virtual machine using Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro
    > and the IIS component on the virtual machine and was able to install
    > VB6 without any problem. I can create any kind of application BUT an
    > IIS application. When I attempt to do so, I get an error message
    > back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer Web Services 3.0
    > or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

    Oh! Web classes, I forgot about those!!! Damn, you had to remind me!

    > What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to
    > get
    > this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    You're missing that Web Classes were a buggy failure that were quickly
    abandoned. It is very unlikely that you will find support for their
    development and use. I wish I could help, but I never created that type of
    application in VB6.

    Maybe you need to install NT4 on a virtual server to get it to work ...

    On the off chance, you might try posting in one of the classic vb groups
    (the ones that don't have "dotnet" in their names.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows, Dec 6, 2008

  3. AlBruAn

    AlBruAn Guest

    Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my MSDN
    subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional, Server
    or Advanced Server?

    AlBruAn, Dec 6, 2008
  4. "AlBruAn" <.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my
    > MSDN
    > subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional,
    > Server
    > or Advanced Server?

    Before you go off an do that, do you have any evidence that would indicate
    that WebClasses are in use. I've used VB6 with ASP for years but never used
    web classes. If you have no specific evidence they're in use it highly
    likely that they aren't.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Dec 6, 2008