New install of VB6 doesn't recognize IIS

AlBruAn

There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within the next
few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing VB6/ASP
applications. For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net and C#
exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6 skills. Anyway...

My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the development
environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a virtual machine using
Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro and the IIS component on the
virtual machine and was able to install VB6 without any problem. I can
create any kind of application BUT an IIS application. When I attempt to do
so, I get an error message back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer
Web Services 3.0 or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to get
this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bob Barrows

AlBruAn said:
There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within
the next few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing
VB6/ASP applications.

Huh? "VB6/ASP"? ASP supports the use of scripting languages like vbscript
and jscript ... not VB ...
For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net
and C# exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6
skills. Anyway...

My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the
development environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a
virtual machine using Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro
and the IIS component on the virtual machine and was able to install
VB6 without any problem. I can create any kind of application BUT an
IIS application. When I attempt to do so, I get an error message
back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer Web Services 3.0
or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

Oh! Web classes, I forgot about those!!! Damn, you had to remind me!
What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to
get
this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

You're missing that Web Classes were a buggy failure that were quickly
abandoned. It is very unlikely that you will find support for their
development and use. I wish I could help, but I never created that type of
application in VB6.

Maybe you need to install NT4 on a virtual server to get it to work ...

On the off chance, you might try posting in one of the classic vb groups
(the ones that don't have "dotnet" in their names.

AlBruAn

Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my MSDN
subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional, Server
or Advanced Server?

Anthony Jones

AlBruAn said:
Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my
MSDN
subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional,
Server
or Advanced Server?

Before you go off an do that, do you have any evidence that would indicate
that WebClasses are in use. I've used VB6 with ASP for years but never used
web classes. If you have no specific evidence they're in use it highly
likely that they aren't.