new java group

Daniel Pitts

Hi,

I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
the aspects of java.

So please feel free to join us.

http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited

How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
reconsile this?

Lew

Daniel said:
How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
reconsile this?

Spammed, multi-posted and, no doubt, full of garbage like other multi-posted
spam crap.

- Lew

Patricia Shanahan

Daniel said:
How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
reconsile this?

Well, one obvious difference is that the new group is devoted to a
predetermined position that I disagree with. I think every programming
languages has its limits.

Patricia

Randolf Richardson

Well, one obvious difference is that the new group is devoted to a
predetermined position that I disagree with. I think every programming
languages has its limits.

Machine Language (Assembler, etc.) offers the most freedom and
flexibility, but even it is also limited by what the computer and the
programmer can do.

Alex Hunsley

Next said:
Hi,

I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
the aspects of java.

So please feel free to join us.

http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited

a) Java *isn't* unlimited. No language is, programming or otherwise, is.
b) Why the need to split off another group?

So, in summary, no thanks.

Alex Hunsley

Alex said:
a) Java *isn't* unlimited. No language is, programming or otherwise, is.
b) Why the need to split off another group?

So, in summary, no thanks.

Oh, and I forgot c): why would I want to limit myself to a google groups
forum? I like doing news (NNTP), not google groups. They're not the same
thing.

Lew

Alex said:
Oh, and I forgot c): why would I want to limit myself to a google groups
forum? I like doing news (NNTP), not google groups. They're not the same
thing.

Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as answers to
themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

- Lew

Alex Hunsley

Lew said:
Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

Possibly, I'm not sure! I think Google Groups are implicated in this
spate of multiposts - anyone know if this is the case?

Google groups (ex deja-news) was originally a way to view and post to
usenet, but nowadays Google have their own 'groups' which don't actually
go anywhere near Usenet proper - it's that sort of group which the OP
has set up, it seems....

lex

Chris Uppal

Lew said:
Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

Possibly, I'm not sure! I think Google Groups are implicated in this
spate of multiposts - anyone know if this is the case?

I have been taking note of the addresses
of origin of the multi-posting spammers that
I have replied to over the past months.

1 was posting out of a yahoo account in india,
1 from an account listed as 'aol', the rest (AFAIR)
were from GG.

Andrew T.

Daniel Pitts

Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.

-- chris

No. Not ALL of it. Microsoft has something to do with it.
Also, some good comes out of GG. I'm using it, for instance.

Chris Uppal

Daniel Pitts wrote:

[me:]
No. Not ALL of it. Microsoft has something to do with it.
Also, some good comes out of GG. I'm using it, for instance.

Well, if /you/ are allowed to tarnish your reputation, not to mention endanger
your soul, in that way, then surely /I/ am allowed to exagerate just a little
;-)

This is Usenet, after all[*].

-- chris

[*] still, mostly, and no thanks to Google...

Randolf Richardson

Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.

You're thinking of some other company.

Granted, Giggle Groups does have it's issues, but overall I'm glad to see
it there because it has increased the awareness of usenet groups to users
who otherwise wouldn't know about it.

Randolf Richardson

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:39:37 -0800, Andrew Thompson
I have been taking note of the addresses
of origin of the multi-posting spammers that
I have replied to over the past months.
[sNip]

Keep in mind that spammers regularly forge the sender information in
eMail and newsgroup postings because they don't want their own mail
servers to get flooded with bounce notifications, complaints/threats, etc.

Chris Uppal

Randolf Richardson wrote:

[me:]
You're thinking of some other company.

Er, actually I'm not. I'm not at all impressed by Google[*], and have little
faith in its ethical standards or the effectiveness of its self-policing.

([*] except technically)

Granted, Giggle Groups does have it's issues, but overall I'm glad to see
it there because it has increased the awareness of usenet groups to users
who otherwise wouldn't know about it.

That could be likened to a scenario where I steal your car (I do think that
Google's assault on Usenet can be likened to theft), plaster advertising all
over it, and then use it to run a cheap or free taxi service funded by the
advertising. It may be that the cheap/free taxi service would be of benefit to
society as a whole (the poor, and so on); it would certainly be that you car
got more use; but you would still be left carless...

Google running a web-search engine. Fine by me. They do it well, and I have
no objection to their use of advertising. Google running a Usenet archive
(with advertising) -- again, that's ok by me. Google attempting to subsume
Usenet into a sub-section of their own services; Google attempting to move the
/primary/ Web onto its own servers: Google attempting to persuade people to
move their own private data onto its servers -- none of these things strike me
as acceptable (though I view them with different levels of dismay, and for
different reasons).

-- chris