new java group

Discussion in 'Java' started by Next Great Thing, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    the aspects of java.

    So please feel free to join us.

    http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited
    Next Great Thing, Jan 29, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Next Great Thing

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Jan 29, 10:39 am, "Next Great Thing" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    > the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    > the aspects of java.
    >
    > So please feel free to join us.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited


    How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
    I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
    take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
    reconsile this?
    Daniel Pitts, Jan 29, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Next Great Thing

    Lew Guest

    "Next Great Thing" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    >> the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    >> the aspects of java.
    >>
    >> So please feel free to join us.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited


    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
    > I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
    > take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
    > reconsile this?


    Spammed, multi-posted and, no doubt, full of garbage like other multi-posted
    spam crap.

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 29, 2007
    #3
  4. Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >
    > On Jan 29, 10:39 am, "Next Great Thing" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    >> the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    >> the aspects of java.
    >>
    >> So please feel free to join us.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited

    >
    > How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
    > I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
    > take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to
    > reconsile this?


    Well, one obvious difference is that the new group is devoted to a
    predetermined position that I disagree with. I think every programming
    languages has its limits.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Jan 30, 2007
    #4
  5. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:41:14 -0800, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> On Jan 29, 10:39 am, "Next Great Thing" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    >>> the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    >>> the aspects of java.
    >>>
    >>> So please feel free to join us.
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited

    >>
    >> How is that any different than this group or any of the other groups
    >> I'm sure you've spammed? Why do you feel the need to fracture? Do you
    >> take offense to the way this group is run? Have you tried to reconsile
    >> this?

    >
    > Well, one obvious difference is that the new group is devoted to a
    > predetermined position that I disagree with. I think every programming
    > languages has its limits.


    Machine Language (Assembler, etc.) offers the most freedom and
    flexibility, but even it is also limited by what the computer and the
    programmer can do.

    --
    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
    http://www.lumbercartel.ca/
    Randolf Richardson, Jan 30, 2007
    #5
  6. Next Great Thing

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Next Great Thing wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    > the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    > the aspects of java.
    >
    > So please feel free to join us.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited


    a) Java *isn't* unlimited. No language is, programming or otherwise, is.
    b) Why the need to split off another group?

    So, in summary, no thanks.
    Alex Hunsley, Jan 30, 2007
    #6
  7. Next Great Thing

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Next Great Thing wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've created a new group called java-unlimited. It is devoted to show
    >> the unlimited power of the java technology and to to talk about all
    >> the aspects of java.
    >>
    >> So please feel free to join us.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/java-unlimited

    >
    > a) Java *isn't* unlimited. No language is, programming or otherwise, is.
    > b) Why the need to split off another group?
    >
    > So, in summary, no thanks.


    Oh, and I forgot c): why would I want to limit myself to a google groups
    forum? I like doing news (NNTP), not google groups. They're not the same
    thing.
    Alex Hunsley, Jan 30, 2007
    #7
  8. Next Great Thing

    Lew Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Oh, and I forgot c): why would I want to limit myself to a google groups
    > forum? I like doing news (NNTP), not google groups. They're not the same
    > thing.


    Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as answers to
    themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

    - Lew
    Lew, Jan 30, 2007
    #8
  9. Next Great Thing

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >> Oh, and I forgot c): why would I want to limit myself to a google
    >> groups forum? I like doing news (NNTP), not google groups. They're not
    >> the same thing.

    >
    > Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
    > answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?


    Possibly, I'm not sure! I think Google Groups are implicated in this
    spate of multiposts - anyone know if this is the case?

    Google groups (ex deja-news) was originally a way to view and post to
    usenet, but nowadays Google have their own 'groups' which don't actually
    go anywhere near Usenet proper - it's that sort of group which the OP
    has set up, it seems....

    lex

    >
    > - Lew
    Alex Hunsley, Jan 30, 2007
    #9
  10. Next Great Thing

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
    > answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?


    Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jan 30, 2007
    #10
  11. On Jan 31, 2:46 am, Alex Hunsley <> wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > > Alex Hunsley wrote:

    ....
    > > Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
    > > answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

    >
    > Possibly, I'm not sure! I think Google Groups are implicated in this
    > spate of multiposts - anyone know if this is the case?


    I have been taking note of the addresses
    of origin of the multi-posting spammers that
    I have replied to over the past months.

    1 was posting out of a yahoo account in india,
    1 from an account listed as 'aol', the rest (AFAIR)
    were from GG.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 30, 2007
    #11
  12. Next Great Thing

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Jan 30, 7:48 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > > Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
    > > answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

    >
    > Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.
    >
    > -- chris


    No. Not ALL of it. Microsoft has something to do with it.
    Also, some good comes out of GG. I'm using it, for instance.
    Daniel Pitts, Jan 30, 2007
    #12
  13. Next Great Thing

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:

    [me:]
    > > Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.
    > >

    > No. Not ALL of it. Microsoft has something to do with it.
    > Also, some good comes out of GG. I'm using it, for instance.


    Well, if /you/ are allowed to tarnish your reputation, not to mention endanger
    your soul, in that way, then surely /I/ am allowed to exagerate just a little
    ;-)

    This is Usenet, after all[*].

    -- chris

    [*] still, mostly, and no thanks to Google...
    Chris Uppal, Jan 30, 2007
    #13
  14. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:48:39 -0800, Chris Uppal
    <-THIS.org> wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >
    >> Is Google Groups the reason why the OP's and others' posts post as
    >> answers to themselves, sometimes repeatedly?

    >
    > Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.


    You're thinking of some other company.

    Granted, Giggle Groups does have it's issues, but overall I'm glad to see
    it there because it has increased the awareness of usenet groups to users
    who otherwise wouldn't know about it.

    --
    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
    http://www.lumbercartel.ca/
    Randolf Richardson, Jan 31, 2007
    #14
  15. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:39:37 -0800, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote:
    [sNip]
    > I have been taking note of the addresses
    > of origin of the multi-posting spammers that
    > I have replied to over the past months.

    [sNip]

    Keep in mind that spammers regularly forge the sender information in
    eMail and newsgroup postings because they don't want their own mail
    servers to get flooded with bounce notifications, complaints/threats, etc.

    --
    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
    http://www.lumbercartel.ca/
    Randolf Richardson, Jan 31, 2007
    #15
  16. Next Great Thing

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Randolf Richardson wrote:

    [me:]
    > > Google Groups is the reason for all the evil in the world.

    >
    > You're thinking of some other company.


    Er, actually I'm not. I'm not at all impressed by Google[*], and have little
    faith in its ethical standards or the effectiveness of its self-policing.

    ([*] except technically)


    > Granted, Giggle Groups does have it's issues, but overall I'm glad to see
    > it there because it has increased the awareness of usenet groups to users
    > who otherwise wouldn't know about it.


    That could be likened to a scenario where I steal your car (I do think that
    Google's assault on Usenet can be likened to theft), plaster advertising all
    over it, and then use it to run a cheap or free taxi service funded by the
    advertising. It may be that the cheap/free taxi service would be of benefit to
    society as a whole (the poor, and so on); it would certainly be that you car
    got more use; but you would still be left carless...


    Google running a web-search engine. Fine by me. They do it well, and I have
    no objection to their use of advertising. Google running a Usenet archive
    (with advertising) -- again, that's ok by me. Google attempting to subsume
    Usenet into a sub-section of their own services; Google attempting to move the
    /primary/ Web onto its own servers: Google attempting to persuade people to
    move their own private data onto its servers -- none of these things strike me
    as acceptable (though I view them with different levels of dismay, and for
    different reasons).

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 5, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Akaketwa
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    4,875
    impaler
    Sep 22, 2006
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    523
  3. christopher taylor
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    402
    christopher taylor
    Sep 17, 2008
  4. Dag Sunde
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    115
    Dag Sunde
    Nov 18, 2005
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    448
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    Mar 11, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page