New: Javascript "Knowledge Base" search page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Matt Kruse, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Matt Kruse

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Javascript "Knowledge Base" Search: http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/search/

    read the FAQ" or "did you search the archives?" or "did you do a google
    search?".

    To regular readers and experienced javascript developers, knowing how and
    where to search and filtering out junk results is an easy task. For most
    javascript users, however, it's not so easy.

    So, I created the above page to simplify the task of searching for good
    javascript information. The idea is very simple - link to Google search
    results that search only specific web sites known to have good javascript
    information (including the FAQ), and usenet posts from active and
    knowledgeable participants in this newsgroup. (At the risk of sounding vain,
    I did include myself and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect?
    ;)

    This way, the search is very specific to javascript and is most likely to
    give the most accurate results first. If a person wants to search all of
    Google instead of the narrowed-down results, they can of course always do
    that.

    Right now, the web search looks for urls matching:
    jibbering.com/faq/
    www.merlyn.demon.co.uk
    javascripttoolbox.com
    www.mattkruse.com/javascript/
    www.litotes.demon.co.uk
    javascript.crockford.com
    www.json.org

    The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for posts whose authors
    match:
    "Jim Ley"
    "Lasse"
    "Randy Webb"
    "Martin Honnen"
    "John Stockton"
    "Richard Cornford"
    "Michael Winter"
    "RobG"
    "Matt Kruse"

    Any feedback?

    Also, any recommendations for additional sites or authors to include in the
    search?

    --
    Matt Kruse
    http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com
    Matt Kruse, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Re: Javascript "Knowledge Base" search page

    Matt Kruse wrote:
    <snip>
    > ... (At the risk of sounding vain, I did include myself
    > and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect? ;)

    Don't ask ;-)

    <snip>
    > Right now, the web search looks for urls matching:
    > jibbering.com/faq/

    Jim has material on javascript on his site that is not in/under the faq
    directory. For example, his well known XML HTTP request page.

    <snip>
    > The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for
    > posts whose authors match:
    > "Jim Ley"
    > "Lasse"

    <snip>

    You have got to include 'Laurent Bugnion', 'Grant Wagner', 'Steve van
    Dongen' and 'Yann-Erwan Perio' (AKA 'Yep' (but not the 'Yep' who posts
    to alt.comp.lang.javascirpt as he is a twit)). We may not have heard
    much from any of them recently but an archive search that turns up a

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Re: Javascript "Knowledge Base" search page

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > Matt Kruse wrote:

    <snip>
    >> The usenet search searches comp.lang.javascript for
    >> posts whose authors match:
    >> "Jim Ley"
    >> "Lasse"

    > <snip>
    >
    > You have got to include ...

    And 'Lee', of course.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Matt Kruse wrote:

    [snip]

    > Also, any recommendations for additional sites or authors to include in the
    > search?

    http://www.quirksmode.org

    Sandor
    Sandor Spruit, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Matt Kruse

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    >> You have got to include ...

    Added all those authors, and jim's xmlhttprequest page. I also modified the
    page to show the criteria being used and to allow the user to un-check sites
    or authors to be searched. The UI could probably still use some
    improvement... any suggestions?

    > And 'Lee', of course.

    The problem with including "Lee" is that there are a lot of authors that
    match "Lee" which get included. So unless I can get more specific with it,
    it's probably best to leave it out.

    Sandor Spruit wrote:
    > http://www.quirksmode.org

    Good catch - I added that one too.

    Thanks for both of your feedback!

    --
    Matt Kruse
    Matt Kruse, Apr 9, 2006
  6. Matt Kruse

    Randy Webb Guest

    Matt Kruse said the following on 4/8/2006 6:01 PM:
    > Javascript "Knowledge Base" Search: http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/search/

    > read the FAQ" or "did you search the archives?" or "did you do a google
    > search?".
    >
    > To regular readers and experienced javascript developers, knowing how and
    > where to search and filtering out junk results is an easy task. For most
    > javascript users, however, it's not so easy.
    >
    > So, I created the above page to simplify the task of searching for good
    > javascript information. The idea is very simple - link to Google search
    > results that search only specific web sites known to have good javascript
    > information (including the FAQ), and usenet posts from active and
    > knowledgeable participants in this newsgroup. (At the risk of sounding vain,
    > I did include myself and my sites in the searches, but what do you expect?
    > ;)

    I didn't expect the 5th response for a search for the word "eval" to be
    a post in comp.lang.perl.misc from 1997 from Matt Kruse though :)

    You may want to default it to sort the results by date instead of relevance.

    > This way, the search is very specific to javascript and is most likely to
    > give the most accurate results first. If a person wants to search all of
    > Google instead of the narrowed-down results, they can of course always do
    > that.

    The Usenet search should be limited to the c.l.j and
    microsoft.public.scripting.jscript group archives. If you don't, there
    is no telling what a person might find in alt.comp.lang.javascript :)

    > Any feedback?

    Yeah, add some naked women so I can get my porn and research done at the
    same time :)

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Matt Kruse

    Matt Kruse Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > The Usenet search should be limited to the c.l.j and
    > microsoft.public.scripting.jscript group archives.

    Ah, yes. It did that previously but my most recent update wiped out the
    group filter. I've added it back in. Thanks for letting me know!

    --
    Matt Kruse
    Matt Kruse, Apr 14, 2006