    either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
    Any hints?

    Shelly
    Shelly, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Shelly

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Shelly wrote:
    > I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
    > want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
    > either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
    > Any hints?

    Use a better mail client when you read the mail, I would suggest pine.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Shelly

    Jim Moe Guest

    Shelly wrote:
    > I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
    > want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
    > either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.

    How are you sending the email?
    Is it truly a text-only email? Or is it a multipart MIME message with a
    plain text and HTML text alternative?
    What is your receiving email client?

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Shelly wrote:
    > I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
    > want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
    > either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
    > Any hints?

    Using mailto protocol in form's action is just a *bad idea* see

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=using mailto form action bad&btnG=Search
    using mailto form action bad - Google Search

    for a litany of reasons. Send to a server-side script for processing and
    then process data exactly to your specifications.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    "Jim Moe" <> wrote in message
    > Shelly wrote:
    >> I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email,
    >> but I
    >> want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
    >> either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate
    >> lines.
    >>

    > How are you sending the email?
    > Is it truly a text-only email? Or is it a multipart MIME message with a
    > plain text and HTML text alternative?
    > What is your receiving email client?
    >
    > --
    > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    I am actually sending the email via php using the mail() function. I
    assumed it was the same effect that was causing the problem and wanted to
    simplify the question so that I wouldn't get "go to a php group (I did that
    too)". I was just looking for the right escape code to create a new line.
    Yes, you are correct. I use a function that I drew from the web to handle
    an attachment which has in it the mail() function -- and it IS a MIME
    message with a plain text body.

    As for your other comment, I am quite happy using Outlook Express as my mail
    reader, but the question is in the sending from the website to anyone
    else --- not what I use personally.

    Shelly
    Shelly, Aug 19, 2007
  6. Everybody has their favourite e-mail client. An all HTML one is
    mailvault.com. You can access the site from behind a web proxy, it
    encrypts e-mail and you can use a digital signature. Pine is no good
    for Vista.

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, Aug 19, 2007
  7. While the city slept, George Orwell () feverishly
    typed...

    [snips]

    1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not ironic,
    I have snipped your text because I am not replying to anything in
    particular)

    2. Use a valid signature separator (1 line of text that has 2 hyphens
    followed by a space. Nothing more, nothing less). This allows various
    software to recognise the signature part of your message and strip it from
    replies.

    3. A 6 line signature is approx 2 more than the standard accepted maximum.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    nice.guy.nige, Aug 20, 2007
  8. nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, George Orwell () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    > [snips]
    >
    > 1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not ironic,
    > I have snipped your text because I am not replying to anything in
    > particular)
    >
    > 2. Use a valid signature separator (1 line of text that has 2 hyphens
    > followed by a space. Nothing more, nothing less). This allows various
    > software to recognise the signature part of your message and strip it from
    > replies.
    >
    > 3. A 6 line signature is approx 2 more than the standard accepted maximum.

    He's using some kind of gateway. That's no excuse; I'm just making an
    observation.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > While the city slept, George Orwell () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    > [snips]
    >
    > 1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not
    > ironic,
    > I have snipped your text because I am not replying to anything in
    > particular)
    >
    > 2. Use a valid signature separator (1 line of text that has 2 hyphens
    > followed by a space. Nothing more, nothing less). This allows various
    > software to recognise the signature part of your message and strip it from
    > replies.
    >
    > 3. A 6 line signature is approx 2 more than the standard accepted maximum.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige
    >
    > --
    > Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    > Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    > "Your mother ate my dog!", "Not all of him!"

    What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    name "Shelly"/

    Shelly
    Shelly, Aug 20, 2007
  10. Shelly wrote:

    > What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    > name "Shelly"/
    >
    > Shelly

    Ah, that's a signature even if it is just one line, one word or one
    character. If you preface it with a line constructed as 2 hyphens a
    space followed by a carriage return most newsreaders will automatically
    strip it off and anything that follows when quoting. Someone here has a
    link how to fix your MS OE to follow Usenet convention

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 20, 2007
  11. Shelly

    rf Guest

    "Shelly" <> wrote in message

    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >> While the city slept, George Orwell () feverishly
    >> typed...
    >>
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> 1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not
    >> ironic,

    > What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    > name "Shelly"/

    Look at the attributions above. The comments were directed at Mr Orwell.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 20, 2007
  12. Shelly wrote:

    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >> While the city slept, George Orwell () feverishly
    >> typed...
    >>
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> 1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not
    >> ironic,
    >> I have snipped your text because I am not replying to anything in
    >> particular)
    >>
    >> 2. Use a valid signature separator (1 line of text that has 2 hyphens
    >> followed by a space. Nothing more, nothing less). This allows various
    >> software to recognise the signature part of your message and strip it from
    >> replies.
    >>
    >> 3. A 6 line signature is approx 2 more than the standard accepted maximum.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nige
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    >> Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    >> "Your mother ate my dog!", "Not all of him!"

    > What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    > name "Shelly"/

    His response was not to one of your posts. D'oh!

    But why did you quote *his* *valid* sig? Your software should auto snip
    it.

    > Shelly

    But that does happen to be a sig that is not properly delimited, so you
    still score 1 out of 3 on nige's fix-it list.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 20, 2007
  13. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    > Shelly wrote:
    >
    >> What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    >> name "Shelly"/
    >>
    >> Shelly

    > Ah, that's a signature even if it is just one line, one word or one
    > character. If you preface it with a line constructed as 2 hyphens a space
    > followed by a carriage return most newsreaders will automatically strip it
    > off and anything that follows when quoting. Someone here has a link how to
    > fix your MS OE to follow Usenet convention

    No, it is not. The "Shelly" is part of the text I type. I have no
    signature appended. Nothing. Nada. Notince that this message has no
    "Shelly" typed in at the end. It should just be these few sentences.
    Shelly, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Shelly wrote:
    >> What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    >> name "Shelly"/

    > His response was not to one of your posts. D'oh!
    >
    > But why did you quote *his* *valid* sig? Your software should auto snip
    > it.
    >
    >> Shelly

    > But that does happen to be a sig that is not properly delimited, so you
    > still score 1 out of 3 on nige's fix-it list.

    As I explained in another response, the "Shelly" is typed by me each time.

    Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?
    Shelly, Aug 20, 2007
  15. Shelly

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:31:43
    GMT Shelly scribed:

    > I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email,
    > but I want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send
    > it using either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get
    > separate lines. Any hints?

    As a wild guess, your reader is not recognizing the sequence or you have to
    escape the slash (-like \\r\\n) to pass it thru "plain" in order to get it
    intact to the reader.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2007
  16. Shelly

    rf Guest

    "Shelly" <> wrote in message

    >> Shelly wrote:
    >>> What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than
    >>> my
    >>> name "Shelly"/

    >> His response was not to one of your posts. D'oh!
    >>
    >> But why did you quote *his* *valid* sig? Your software should auto snip
    >> it.
    >>
    >>> Shelly

    >> But that does happen to be a sig that is not properly delimited, so you
    >> still score 1 out of 3 on nige's fix-it list.

    > As I explained in another response, the "Shelly" is typed by me each time.

    Doesn't matter if you type it in or not, it's still a sig.

    > Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?

    If it's HTML then a new line is simply whitespace. Nothing more. Just like
    in a web page.

    [Manually typed in sig follows:]

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 20, 2007
  17. Shelly wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Shelly wrote:
    >>> What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    >>> name "Shelly"/

    >> His response was not to one of your posts. D'oh!
    >>
    >> But why did you quote *his* *valid* sig? Your software should auto snip
    >> it.
    >>
    >>> Shelly

    >> But that does happen to be a sig that is not properly delimited, so you
    >> still score 1 out of 3 on nige's fix-it list.

    > As I explained in another response, the "Shelly" is typed by me each time.
    >
    > Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?

    So you do your sig the hard way. It's still a sig.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 20, 2007
  18. Shelly wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >> Shelly wrote:
    >>
    >>> What are you talking about? I have no signiture on my post other than my
    >>> name "Shelly"/
    >>>
    >>> Shelly

    >> Ah, that's a signature even if it is just one line, one word or one
    >> character. If you preface it with a line constructed as 2 hyphens a space
    >> followed by a carriage return most newsreaders will automatically strip it
    >> off and anything that follows when quoting. Someone here has a link how to
    >> fix your MS OE to follow Usenet convention
    >>

    > No, it is not. The "Shelly" is part of the text I type. I have no
    > signature appended. Nothing. Nada. Notince that this message has no
    > "Shelly" typed in at the end. It should just be these few sentences.

    It's your signature, entered manually or inserted by your software.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 20, 2007
  19. Shelly

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > If it's HTML then a new line is simply whitespace. Nothing more. Just like
    > in a web page.

    Belay that. Where on earth did I get the idea this was an HTML email? Mixing
    up threads methinks :-(

    Another thought:

    Send yourself one. Then look at the raw source of the email, as in
    properties->details->message source or something.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 20, 2007
  20. Shelly

    Anonymous Guest

    Begging my ignorance Mr Shark, what does "RLU 297263" mean?
    A way to just pick you posts out of Usenet?
    Anonymous, Aug 20, 2007