New line in email

Shelly

I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
Any hints?

Shelly

J.O. Aho

Shelly said:
I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
Any hints?

Use a better mail client when you read the mail, I would suggest pine.

Jim Moe

Shelly said:
I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
How are you sending the email?
Is it truly a text-only email? Or is it a multipart MIME message with a
plain text and HTML text alternative?
What is your receiving email client?

Jonathan N. Little

Shelly said:
I am trying to send an email using mailto. This will be a text email, but I
want to have the body formatted with line breaks. When I send it using
either \n or \r\n the text runs together and I don't get separate lines.
Any hints?

Using mailto protocol in form's action is just a *bad idea* see

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=using+mailto+form+action+bad&btnG=Search
using mailto form action bad - Google Search

for a litany of reasons. Send to a server-side script for processing and
then process data exactly to your specifications.

Shelly

Jim Moe said:
How are you sending the email?
Is it truly a text-only email? Or is it a multipart MIME message with a
plain text and HTML text alternative?
What is your receiving email client?

I am actually sending the email via php using the mail() function. I
assumed it was the same effect that was causing the problem and wanted to
simplify the question so that I wouldn't get "go to a php group (I did that
too)". I was just looking for the right escape code to create a new line.
Yes, you are correct. I use a function that I drew from the web to handle
an attachment which has in it the mail() function -- and it IS a MIME
message with a plain text body.

As for your other comment, I am quite happy using Outlook Express as my mail
reader, but the question is in the sending from the website to anyone
else --- not what I use personally.

Shelly

George Orwell

Everybody has their favourite e-mail client. An all HTML one is
mailvault.com. You can access the site from behind a web proxy, it
encrypts e-mail and you can use a digital signature. Pine is no good
for Vista.

https://www.mixmaster.it

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, George Orwell ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

[snips]

1. Quote relevant parts of the text you are replying to (this is not ironic,
I have snipped your text because I am not replying to anything in
particular)

2. Use a valid signature separator (1 line of text that has 2 hyphens
followed by a space. Nothing more, nothing less). This allows various
software to recognise the signature part of your message and strip it from