New line in email

John Hosking

Anonymous said:
Begging my ignorance Mr Shark, what does "RLU 297263" mean?

If you want to ask Blinky a question, reply to one of _his_ posts
(quoting his sig to provide context). Some sharks don't hear too well;
they like you to swim closer. :-o

GIYF:
"This raised leg urination (RLU) is different from ordinary urination,
where the ... RLU is usually only performed by alpha wolves... "

Oh, wait, I don't think that's it. Better look at
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/RLU

It's probably the one having to do with computers...

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, John Hosking ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
If you want to ask Blinky a question, reply to one of _his_ posts
(quoting his sig to provide context).
[...]

Ermm... maybe not quoting the sig, but including an attribution at the
top...

Cheers,
Nige

John Hosking

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, John Hosking feverishly typed...
If you want to ask Blinky a question, reply to one of _his_ posts
(quoting his sig to provide context).
[...]

Ermm... maybe not quoting the sig, but including an attribution at the
top...

I suggested quoting the sig because that's where Anonymous saw Blinky's
"RLU 297263".

Shelly

rf said:
Shelly said:
As I explained in another response, the "Shelly" is typed by me each
time.

Doesn't matter if you type it in or not, it's still a sig.
Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?

If it's HTML then a new line is simply whitespace. Nothing more. Just like
in a web page.

[Manually typed in sig follows:]

The answer was in changing the Content Type. The PHP group answered my
question.

..... and I guess "Richard" is not a sig <g> ? This is just what I do. See
next line.

Shelly

rf

.... and I guess "Richard" is not a sig <g> ? This is just what I do.
See next line.

Shelly

"Richard" _is_ my sig. And I precede it with the required sig seperator,
which you do not.

Shelly

rf said:
"Richard" _is_ my sig. And I precede it with the required sig seperator,
which you do not.

I see what you mean now. However, I have been posting for over ten years
now and have an untold number of posts. This is the very first time anyone
has ever mentioned it and, frankly, with a "one word sig" I consider it no
BFD.

Shelly

Jonathan N. Little

Shelly said:
Blinky the Shark said:
nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Shelly ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

[...]
Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?
Have you checked your thread in comp.lang.php lately? ;-)
Multiposter, too? :)

I ***SAID*** I also posted to comp.lang.php.

Shelly

10 years of posting to Usenet...huh...probably pissed off a number of
folks and in 10 years. In the 10 years you never learned the difference
between multi-posting [bad] and cross-posting [okay, if conservative in
number and to *relevant* groups]?

Blinky the Shark

Shelly said:
Blinky the Shark said:
nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Shelly ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

[...]
Now, does anyone have an answer to the newline question?

Have you checked your thread in comp.lang.php lately? ;-)

Multiposter, too? :)

I ***SAID*** I also posted to comp.lang.php.

Shelly

Did you say how? "Posted" doesn't tell if it's crossposted or
multiposted. I presume you multiposted. Crossposting is better.

Your sig is still not properly delimited.

Blinky the Shark

Shelly said:
I see what you mean now. However, I have been posting for over ten
years now and have an untold number of posts. This is the very first
time anyone has ever mentioned it and, frankly, with a "one word sig"
I consider it no BFD.

Whether it's one word or one line or more, it's still somehthing that
when done incorrectly - like your sigs - forces everyone who responds to
manually remove it. If done correctly, their software (if properly set
up, probably unlike yours) automatically deletes it in their reply. So
while it's not a BFD to you, it is to those whom you selfishly and
lazily and cluelessly inconvenience.

What's so hard about adding the three proper keystrokes before that?

If you let your own software add the (properly delimited) sig, it would
take NO more work. It would take less.

You are truly clueless.

Jim Moe

Shelly said:
I am actually sending the email via php using the mail() function.
Erm?. Please post an URL to the page that has the mail link.
I am not at all clear how you get a mailto: link to a php function.
Usually the mailto: simply opens your default mail client.

Bernhard Sturm

Shelly said:
I see what you mean now. However, I have been posting for over ten years
now and have an untold number of posts. This is the very first time anyone
has ever mentioned it and, frankly, with a "one word sig" I consider it no
BFD.
maybe time to learn some new stuff. Even after 10 years you will realise
that there is something new out there.

cheers
bernhard

Michael Fesser

..oO(Bernhard Sturm)
maybe time to learn some new stuff. Even after 10 years you will realise
that there is something new out there.

cheers
bernhard

Then why isn't this part of your sig?

Micha

Martin Jay

Everybody has their favourite e-mail client. An all HTML one is
mailvault.com. You can access the site from behind a web proxy, it
encrypts e-mail and you can use a digital signature.

http://www.mailvault.com/ seems to have died a silent death. Its
security certificate expired on the 1 October 2006. And the last item
of "system news" is dated 20 July 2006 about a DOS attack.

Blinky the Shark

Martin said:
http://www.mailvault.com/ seems to have died a silent death. Its
security certificate expired on the 1 October 2006. And the last item
of "system news" is dated 20 July 2006 about a DOS attack.

That's recent. George Orwell was probably writing about 1984 again...

Philip Baker

Jim Moe said:
Erm?. Please post an URL to the page that has the mail link.
I am not at all clear how you get a mailto: link to a php function.
Usually the mailto: simply opens your default mail client.

Either the OP has given up on mailto or was never using it in the first
place.