New module FDF::Simple good for CPAN?

Steffen Schwigon

[It seems I'm to be ignored in c.l.p.modules. So here's my next try.]

Hi!

We developed a module currently called FDF::Simple. It can read and
write FDF files into/from hashes. FDF is the file format for PDF
forms.

The module is meant to be a simple replacement for Adobe's
FdfToolkit. Files generated with this modules can be used to
feed tools from the Acrobat world, e.g., FdfMerge.

Could someone please have a look at this module.

Would this be useful for CPAN? If yes, I need it to be reviewed
because it would be my first time for a module on CPAN and I feel
quite unsure, although we tried to do it right.

I'm especially interested in these points:

* useful/useless for CPAN
* name/namespace
* use of Module::Build (or must I use MakeMaker?)
* overall ok'ness

You can download the distribution here:

http://renormalist.net/~nobody/perl/FDF-Simple-0.01.tar.gz

(Greeti+Tha)nX
Steffen

Uri Guttman

SS> The module is meant to be a simple replacement for Adobe's
SS> FdfToolkit. Files generated with this modules can be used to
SS> feed tools from the Acrobat world, e.g., FdfMerge.

SS> Would this be useful for CPAN? If yes, I need it to be reviewed
SS> because it would be my first time for a module on CPAN and I feel
SS> quite unsure, although we tried to do it right.

there is no rule as to what is useful on CPAN. check out the Acme::
namespace if you want to see what i mean. :)

if you think it is useful and you want to share it, then cpan is fine
for it. as to the quality of the module and its code, that is another
story. cpan has not QA/QC but there is a rating system now.

SS> I'm especially interested in these points:

SS> * useful/useless for CPAN
SS> * name/namespace

there is a modules list (not the newsgroup) where you can propose and
discuss namespace issues.

SS> * use of Module::Build (or must I use MakeMaker?)

i use both. for simple(r) single file modules, i tend to stick to basic
Makefile.PL as generated by h2xs. for more complex modules which need
special build/install stuff i am using Module::Build as i can manage the
special stuff with a simple and clean extension api.

SS> * overall ok'ness

hard to test that unless you know pdf forms well. i don't.

uri