new module Gimp::ScriptFu::Client appropriate namespace ?

Alan Stewart

I have written a module that is an expansion of an idea by John Beppu
in Linux Magazine Feb 15, 2002. It is a Perl filter for Scheme scripts
that is also a client to the GIMP ScriptFu server.

I am looking for comments on namespace suitability before posting to
CPAN.

I originally wanted to use the Gimp / Gimp::Fu modules, but have had
no luck installing on my OS. This module is a way to get some Perl
power without compilation hassles.

Here is part of the POD:

=head1 DESCRIPTION

Gimp::ScriptFu::Client acts as a source filter in a Scheme
script that uses Text::Template to preprocess any embedded
Perl fragments contained between { } brackets before sending
the resulting Scheme to a Gimp Script-Fu server. Each Perl
fragment may or may not produce a Scheme fragment.

The Scheme script becomes a standalone client application.

This permits using Perl for getting parameters from the real world or
for generating complex Scheme expressions, that would be more
difficult or impossible with plain Scheme.

It also makes it possible to do Perlish things with Gimp if you can't
do the compiler stuff for Gimp/Gimp::Fu for your OS. All recent Gimp
versions include the Script-Fu (Scheme ) server.

=head2 Usage

Include this module at the beginning of the script:

use Gimp::ScriptFu::Client;

Everything after that is Scheme or embedded Perl fragments.

Command line options for the Client are:

--server -s # alternate server address
--port -p # alternate server port
--verbose -v # display Scheme before sending request
--check -c # generate Scheme for syntax check and exit

The rest of the file after the C<use Gimp::ScriptFu::Client> line is
preprocessed by C<Text::Template> for embedded Perl - anything
between curly brackets. Perl variables persist from fragment to
fragment in a file. The resulting Scheme is displayed and/or sent to
the Gimp Script-Fu server and the result displayed.

The result may be 'Success', an ERROR message, or if the last
expression in the Scheme script has a string value, that string is
displayed.

Alan Stewart <[email protected]>