New Outlook message via browser

Marc Castrechini

The business requirement is relatively simple:
Automatically open a new mail message using the default mail client (Outlook
2003) and attach a document located on the server.

Obviously we need to open the New Mail Message on the client so we are
trying to determine if this is possible by setting the content type and
streaming the content to the browser.

TIA,
- Marc Castrechini

Evan Camilleri

1: i am assuming you want to open the client's outlook with an attachment
from the server? i do not think this is possible since file to be attached
must be on client pc

2: why do you not use the normal mail classess and simulate a front end like
outlook add new message.

personally i hate sites that open my outlook. i prefer those that have a
form

Marc Castrechini

I appreciate the feedback. The custom client is something we have
considered and we will probably go that route if need be, however ...

Unfortunately, the users prefer to use their standard mail system
(centralized message tracking, comfort level. etc) as opposed to a custom
client. I am less worried about the attachment and more concerened with
creating the new message so if that poses a complication to anyone please
disregard the attachment requirement.

TIA,
- Marc

Mr. SweatyFinger

go for it.
who cares what some random guy named Camilleri thinks about sites that use a
form.
it'll be great

Guest

The business requirement is relatively simple:
Automatically open a new mail message using the default mail client (Outlook
2003) and attach a document located on the server.

Obviously we need to open the New Mail Message on the client so we are
trying to determine if this is possible by setting the content type and
streaming the content to the browser.

TIA,
- Marc Castrechini

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "email",
"window.location='mailto:[email protected]",true);

if you don't care about blank page it took...

Response.Redirect("mailto:[email protected]");

Marc Castrechini

Eventually I am going to need attachments so I would prefer to look for
something a little more robust than the mailto, but thank you for the
feedback.

- Marc

Marc Castrechini

Sorry, I didn't specify that we were curious if we could implement a
solutions using explicitly a MIME type. Sort of like setting up a calendar
item for someone using vcal.

- Marc

Guest

Eventually I am going to need attachments so I would prefer to look for
something a little more robust than the mailto, but thank you for the
feedback.

Marc, you want to interact with a client, and this is almost
impossible. I think that sending to the mailto js is the best way,
although I forgot about attachments. First of all, the attachment can
be only from the local drive or file share. Why not to add a simple
"text" link to the file in the email body (Download me at http://..../blabla.zip)?
As you want to use that for Outlook users you can also try the
following: Outlook has templates *.oft, you can send to client a
template where you can also specify a link a file. The template can be
either predefined (saved from File-Save As), or designed by the
program. And final way which is normally - I think - should be
recommended - ActiveX.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Marc,

Based on my understanding, your question is about how to create a new
message at client-side with an attachment from your web server. Let me know
if I've misunderstood anything.

Talking about the VCal example, you will need to generate such a .msg file
at server-side (with necessary files attached) and let the user download.
However, creating such a .msg file will need office automation at
server-side, and unfortunately this is not supported by Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757).

I'm afraid ActiveX Control may be the best viable solution here.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support