    implement a Win32 DDE solution to accomplish this? This option would
    require me hooking into the fax software application, which might be
    daunting task for someone of my coding caliber :)
    gregarican, Apr 20, 2005

  2. gregarican

    Eric Hodel Guest

    --Apple-Mail-8-422090508

    On 20 Apr 2005, at 06:54, gregarican wrote:

    > Currently a new P.O. that's entered in the system is printed out of
    > Microsoft Access to a fax printer driver, where the recicpient's
    > details are then manually chosen from the fax software's phonebook as
    > part of the Send Fax dialog. With the new application I would like a
    > Rails form to automatically fax the P.O. to the recipient. The
    > recipient's details are stored in the SQL tables so I could pull things
    > like the name, fax number, phone number, etc. programmatically.
    >
    > Here's where I would like an opinion. Would it be simplest/best to
    > implement a Win32 DDE solution to accomplish this? This option would
    > require me hooking into the fax software application, which might be
    > daunting task for someone of my coding caliber :)

    I would be very surprised if you couldn't do this from WIN32OLE, since
    you can do it from Access. If you have the VB for this it should be a
    boring but otherwise easy job of porting the VB to Ruby, provided you
    know where to look for which applications.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --Apple-Mail-8-422090508
    name=PGP.sig
    content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    --Apple-Mail-8-422090508--
    Eric Hodel, Apr 20, 2005

  3. gregarican

    gregarican Guest

    Eric Hodel wrote:

    >I would be very surprised if you couldn't do this from WIN32OLE, since

    >you can do it from Access. If you have the VB for this it should be a

    >boring but otherwise easy job of porting the VB to Ruby, provided you
    >know where to look for which applications.

    I know how to user WIN32OLE to invoke applications and whatnot, but I
    was wondering about the data exchange. When the fax application is
    brought up through the completion of the fax printer selection the
    recipient's name, fax number, etc. all have to be specified from the
    fax software's phone book. What I want to do is pull the Rails vendor
    details to automatically populate this information where the enduser
    just has to click on Send Fax and away they go.

    Let me say first off that I LOVE Rails. I have been working with Ruby
    for about 6 months now and cannot imagine choosing to use another
    language unless I had to out of business rules and necessity. I have
    had to use everything from C++ to Java to VB and wouldn't want to
    switch back unless I had no other choice. And Rails will only help
    further the attention and notoriety that Ruby should be getting. Some
    folks think that Rails might overshadow Ruby but I think it will only
    bring people into the language. Since once they start using it and see
    how easy it makes things they will start looking 'under the hood' and
    discover Ruby's practicality and effectiveness.

    I am still working through the Rails implementation of the P.O.
    application so I won't be near the DDE stuff until the end of things.
    We'll see how it goes!
    gregarican, Apr 21, 2005