New perl books in the last year or two (or three)? [Borders, etc, gone]

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Combs, Nov 25, 2012.

  1. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    Used to be, I could discover new books by browsing eg
    Borders (wonderful bookstore) or, best of all for NYC,
    the McGraw-Hill bookstore.

    All gone, M-H *long* gone.

    And the computer section of Barnes and Noble keeps shrinking,
    ditto even the big B&N in NYC at 5th ave and 18th st.

    Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    by publication date. Who wants to look through a hundred or
    more books every few months, 99% of which you already know
    about.

    So, as far as I know, the only practical way to discover (good) new
    Perl texts is by asking here.

    So, that's my question: are there any? And any *good* ones? Or
    ones that cover new Perl features?

    Thanks!

    David

    PS: Heck, maybe even go back five years. Bound to be some
    that others in this group don't know about.

    David Combs, Nov 25, 2012

  2. David Combs

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <k8s0fa$khp$>, David Combs
    <> wrote:

    > Used to be, I could discover new books by browsing eg
    > Borders (wonderful bookstore) or, best of all for NYC,
    > the McGraw-Hill bookstore.
    >
    > All gone, M-H *long* gone.
    >
    > And the computer section of Barnes and Noble keeps shrinking,
    > ditto even the big B&N in NYC at 5th ave and 18th st.
    >
    > Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    > by publication date. Who wants to look through a hundred or
    > more books every few months, 99% of which you already know
    > about.
    >
    > So, as far as I know, the only practical way to discover (good) new
    > Perl texts is by asking here.
    >
    > So, that's my question: are there any? And any *good* ones? Or
    > ones that cover new Perl features?

    The latest (4th) edition of "Programming Perl", by Christiansen, foy,
    Wall, & Orwant was published in February, 2012, and covers Perl 5.12,
    5.14, and some previews of 5.16 features.
    <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596004927.do>

    "Modern Perl", by chromatic also covers 5.12 and 5.14.
    <http://onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/>

    --
    Jim Gibson

    Jim Gibson, Nov 26, 2012

  3. David Combs

    brian d foy Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    > by publication date.

    Sure it does. It turns out to not be very useful because "perl" has a
    lot of hits.

    When you search and get results, you're probably getting results from
    all departments. Above the results should be something that says
    something like "Choose a department to enable sorting". In books, one
    of the options is publication date.

    However, just pay attention to the new releases from the major
    publishers. I have those in my RSS reader. I see the new titles and
    move on in less than a minute.

    brian d foy, Nov 27, 2012
  4. David Combs

    Guest

    Re: New perl books in the last year or two (or three)? [Borders,etc, gone]

    On 2012-11-26, Jim Gibson <> wrote:
    > In article <k8s0fa$khp$>, David Combs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Used to be, I could discover new books by browsing eg
    >> Borders (wonderful bookstore) or, best of all for NYC,
    >> the McGraw-Hill bookstore.
    >>
    >> All gone, M-H *long* gone.
    >>
    >> And the computer section of Barnes and Noble keeps shrinking,
    >> ditto even the big B&N in NYC at 5th ave and 18th st.
    >>
    >> Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    >> by publication date. Who wants to look through a hundred or
    >> more books every few months, 99% of which you already know
    >> about.
    >>
    >> So, as far as I know, the only practical way to discover (good) new
    >> Perl texts is by asking here.
    >>
    >> So, that's my question: are there any? And any *good* ones? Or
    >> ones that cover new Perl features?

    > The latest (4th) edition of "Programming Perl", by Christiansen, foy,
    > Wall, & Orwant was published in February, 2012, and covers Perl 5.12,
    > 5.14, and some previews of 5.16 features.
    ><http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596004927.do>
    >
    > "Modern Perl", by chromatic also covers 5.12 and 5.14.
    ><http://onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/>

    i would recommend "modern perl"
    Well, I suppose "nearly modern perl", now.

    --
    maus

    , Nov 29, 2012
  5. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    In article <261120121304586887%>,
    Jim Gibson <> wrote:
    >In article <k8s0fa$khp$>, David Combs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Used to be, I could discover new books by browsing eg
    >> Borders (wonderful bookstore) or, best of all for NYC,
    >> the McGraw-Hill bookstore.
    >>
    >> All gone, M-H *long* gone.
    >>
    >> And the computer section of Barnes and Noble keeps shrinking,
    >> ditto even the big B&N in NYC at 5th ave and 18th st.
    >>
    >> Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    >> by publication date. Who wants to look through a hundred or
    >> more books every few months, 99% of which you already know
    >> about.
    >>
    >> So, as far as I know, the only practical way to discover (good) new
    >> Perl texts is by asking here.
    >>
    >> So, that's my question: are there any? And any *good* ones? Or
    >> ones that cover new Perl features?

    >The latest (4th) edition of "Programming Perl", by Christiansen, foy,
    >Wall, & Orwant was published in February, 2012, and covers Perl 5.12,
    >5.14, and some previews of 5.16 features.
    ><http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596004927.do>
    >
    >"Modern Perl", by chromatic also covers 5.12 and 5.14.
    ><http://onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/>
    >
    >--
    >Jim Gibson

    THANK YOU!!!!

    Programming Perl: what happened to Larry (as author)?

    Now, let's go back a couple of years: how about in 2011
    and 2010 (or even 2009 and 2008).

    THANKS AGAIN!

    Now I go buy them (amazon).

    David

    David Combs, Dec 11, 2012
  6. David Combs

    David Combs Guest

    In article <271120120358508277%>,
    brian d foy <> wrote:
    >In article <k8s0fa$khp$>, David Combs
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> Amazon, unfortunately, doesn't (as far as I know) list books
    >> by publication date.

    >Sure it does. It turns out to not be very useful because "perl" has a
    >lot of hits.
    >
    >When you search and get results, you're probably getting results from
    >all departments. Above the results should be something that says
    >something like "Choose a department to enable sorting". In books, one
    >of the options is publication date.
    >

    >However, just pay attention to the new releases from the major
    >publishers. I have those in my RSS reader. I see the new titles and
    >move on in less than a minute.

    Thanks.

    What's your publisher list?

    (Also, nerdbooks.com does have a list of new books, but I sure
    haven't noticed either Modern Perl or PP #4. Better look again!)

    David

    David Combs, Dec 11, 2012