new popup window does not jump to anchor

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Daniel Goldman, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. When I open a new popup window, with a url that includes an
    anchor, about 1/5 of the time the page displays correctly
    (jumps to anchor), 4/5 of the time page displays incorrectly
    (starts from top). Here is the code I use:

    HelpWindow_j = window.open ('webpage.htm#uniqAnchor', 'uniqName',
    'hotkeys,location,resizable,scrollbars,height=300,width=600', true);

    This happens in IE 6.0, not in NS 4.7; NS 4.7 works correctly.
    I have not tested other browsers.

    To see in action, click on some of the help links on:
    http://www.ehdp.com/vn/ro/acv/txu1/dgw/eg1/index.htm
    I want them to display a popup with help file positioned
    correctly, but it usually displays file from top. The
    location input field does show the correct url, with hash.

    I have tried opening window with no url specified, then
    setting location, location.href, or location.hash; same
    problem. I've played around with setTimeout(). Did not help.

    I know this is probably not a new problem, but I have not
    seen a good answer anywhere. Please help!

    Daniel Goldman
    Daniel Goldman, Sep 20, 2003

  2. "Sugapablo" <> wrote in message
    >Daniel Goldman wrote:
    >>When I open a new popup window, with a url that includes
    >>an anchor, about 1/5 of the time the page displays
    >>correctly (jumps to anchor), 4/5 of the time page displays
    >>incorrectly (starts from top). Here is the code I use:

    >It seems to be working for me AOK. I'm using Mozilla 1.3.1
    >as a browser.

    >Are your problems in IE?

    As the OP includes the words:-

    <quote>
    This happens in IE 6.0, not in NS 4.7; NS 4.7 works
    correctly. I have not tested other browsers.
    </quote>

    - I would guess that they probably are.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Sep 20, 2003