new python debugger

Discussion in 'Python' started by mrelectron, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. mrelectron

    mrelectron Guest

    mrelectron, Aug 9, 2005

  2. On 9 Aug 2005 03:52:00 -0700, "mrelectron" <>
    wrote:

    >hi:
    >
    >Nir Aides who wrote the rpdb debugger has enhanced it and stuck a
    >frontend on it whoo-hoo. it is fantastico! see and download it at
    >http://www.digitalpeers.com/pythondebugger/
    >
    >cheers mark

    Hello Mark,

    thank you for this info.

    I downloaded it, and yes, it looks really great!
    Maybe I can dismiss Hap Debugger, because
    also it is written in Python (wxPython) itself.

    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler
    Franz Steinhäusler, Aug 9, 2005

  3. mrelectron

    Guest

    Thanks for the compliments.

    I really believe Winpdb is not just another Python debugger, and that
    it will be a real step forward in the quality of Python debuggers once
    it matures.

    Also, don't worry about the .com url, it is a GPL debugger.

    Winpdb is still a BETA despite the version number which is 1.0.1
    so I will appreciate feedback on bugs, unexpected behavior, or
    suggestions.

    Finally, If you think it is great, don't hesitate to share your opinion
    with others.

    Nir
    , Aug 11, 2005
  4. mrelectron

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Nir:

    > Winpdb is still a BETA despite the version number which is 1.0.1
    > so I will appreciate feedback on bugs, unexpected behavior, or
    > suggestions.

    Value tips when you hover over variables in the editor would be
    useful. A hovering user can be detected with the wxEVT_STC_DWELLSTART
    notification.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Aug 11, 2005
  5. On 10 Aug 2005 23:10:57 -0700, wrote:

    Hello Nir,

    >Thanks for the compliments.
    >
    >I really believe Winpdb is not just another Python debugger, and that
    >it will be a real step forward in the quality of Python debuggers once
    >it matures.

    Yes, looks very promising ;)

    >Also, don't worry about the .com url, it is a GPL debugger.
    >
    >Winpdb is still a BETA despite the version number which is 1.0.1
    >so I will appreciate feedback on bugs, unexpected behavior, or
    >suggestions.
    >[...]

    Ok :)

    * Remember last opened files (in launch)

    * configurable shortcuts (I'm used to VC++ F10 step, F11 step into,
    Shift-F11 Step out).

    * As Neil suggested, Call Tips would be great (hovering over a
    variable).

    * A nice icon ;)

    * Ability to save Positions (Sash positions, if you drag the windows).

    * Possibility to close some windows (in my case, I would (most times)
    close "Console" and "Threads" or even better assign Shortcuts
    (example F4 => Toggle Threads window would be cool).

    * In VC++, there is also the possibility to Change a Variable with
    Shift-F9 (Quick Watch) and to change the program pointer with
    Ctrl-Shift 10.

    * bug: Open File (with browse it works); If I paste the filepath+name
    into the text field, it says "Error - File not found".
    I think: browse => "filename": the braces are important

    What do the letters in the margin mean?
    I saw: "L", "R" and "C".

    Cheers,
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler
    Franz Steinhaeusler, Aug 11, 2005
  6. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:09:08 +0200, Franz Steinhaeusler
    <> wrote:

    >>Winpdb is still a BETA despite the version number which is 1.0.1
    >>so I will appreciate feedback on bugs, unexpected behavior, or
    >>suggestions.

    List of current breakpoints (VC Alt-F9), where you can quickly
    switch on/off them with a list of checkboxes.
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler
    Franz Steinhaeusler, Aug 11, 2005
  7. mrelectron

    Guest

    Thanks for the valuable input. I will look into it.

    In the mean time, until I implement your suggestions, here are some
    workarounds for the problems you experienced.

    1.
    In the "Open Source" dialog, instead of typing the full path of the
    script you wish to load, try typing just its name (e.g. 'foo.py'
    instead of 'c:\somepath\foo.py')

    2.
    Until I add a GUI dialog for that purpose, use the console to enable
    and disable groups of breakpoints.
    type 'bl' to list the breakpoints, and then type for example 'bd 2 5 8'
    to disable breakpoints 2, 5, and 8, or any other combination. 'be' is
    used to enable breakpoints and 'bc' to clear them. You can use help
    <command> to read further on these commands.

    BTW, the console allows setting conditional breakpoints, too.

    3.
    Until I add a GUI command for jumping, you can use the console to jump
    to a different line:
    type for example 'jump 33' to jump to line 33.
    Jumps are constrained to the limits of the current frame of the thread.

    As for the letters 'C', 'L', and 'R' you have seen, they represent the
    last debugger event for that thread, where:
    'C' - means a Call to a function.
    'L' - means about to execute this line.
    'R' - means, about to return from this function
    'E' - means, an exception was raised (use the analyze mode to examine
    it)
    '*' - means, this thread is not broken yet (it is probably doing some
    c++ code...)

    you can read about it with 'help list' from the console

    Again, thanks for the input,
    Nir
    , Aug 11, 2005
  8. On 11 Aug 2005 05:19:31 -0700, wrote:

    >Thanks for the valuable input. I will look into it.

    You're welcome.

    >In the mean time, until I implement your suggestions, here are some
    >workarounds for the problems you experienced.
    >[...]

    Really, you want to implement? cool ;)
    If you don't mind, I will continue in your
    sf "open discussion" forum.

    Cheers,
    --
    Franz Steinhaeusler