New release of Diet Python (0.2 Beta)!!!

The Eternal Squire

What's new in this release?
Release 0.2 has a reworked Python module interface to the _alpymodule.
I believe it to be much more 'pythonic'. There's a lot less code to
write
just in order to make a simple example work. See the examples!

I've dropped in the Allegro library from the OpenLayer project. That
one
seems to be a lot more reliable.

I'm using sources from the Python 2.5 beta 2 PSF release.

I've also rewritten some of the Allegro examples just to show that the
reworked interface works.

I also fixed a serious bug in the Python startup... the cutdown
python.exe
can now be executed via the PATH.

I also added back the _randommodule, and exposed the Random object at
startup.

Diet Python is now starting to look like a lightweight, hardcore, bare
metal
gaming Python.

Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language

ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
clients thin :)

You'll find it in http://sourceforge.net/projects/dietpython

Cheers,

The Eternal Squire

Georg Brandl

The said:
Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language

ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
clients thin :)

Erm... Which "PSF Python" are you referring to? I can't find a distribution
that's 300 MB in size...

Georg

The Eternal Squire

A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?

Otherwise, I'll put up a different percentage.

Georg Brandl

The said:
A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?

Otherwise, I'll put up a different percentage.

Well, if you refer to a Python installation including all these packages
(anyway, I don't think it would be so large) you should not call that "PSF
Python". The Python Windows installer available from python.org is around 10,
the source distribution around 8 MB.

Georg

Istvan Albert

The said:
A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?

you're missing the point, no one forces you to install all these, also
it is very unlikely that someone would have these unless they needed
them.