New release of Diet Python (0.2 Beta)!!!

Discussion in 'Python' started by The Eternal Squire, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. What's new in this release?
    Release 0.2 has a reworked Python module interface to the _alpymodule.
    I believe it to be much more 'pythonic'. There's a lot less code to
    write
    just in order to make a simple example work. See the examples!

    I've dropped in the Allegro library from the OpenLayer project. That
    one
    seems to be a lot more reliable.

    I'm using sources from the Python 2.5 beta 2 PSF release.

    I've also rewritten some of the Allegro examples just to show that the
    reworked interface works.

    I also fixed a serious bug in the Python startup... the cutdown
    python.exe
    can now be executed via the PATH.

    I also added back the _randommodule, and exposed the Random object at
    startup.

    Diet Python is now starting to look like a lightweight, hardcore, bare
    metal
    gaming Python.

    Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
    calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language

    ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
    clients thin :)

    You'll find it in http://sourceforge.net/projects/dietpython

    Cheers,

    The Eternal Squire

    The Eternal Squire, Jul 27, 2006

  2. The Eternal Squire

    Georg Brandl Guest

    The Eternal Squire wrote:

    > Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
    > calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language
    >
    > ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
    > clients thin :)

    Erm... Which "PSF Python" are you referring to? I can't find a distribution
    that's 300 MB in size...

    Georg

    Georg Brandl, Jul 27, 2006

  3. A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
    Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?

    Otherwise, I'll put up a different percentage.

    The Eternal Squire, Jul 27, 2006
  4. The Eternal Squire

    Georg Brandl Guest

    The Eternal Squire wrote:
    > A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
    > Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?
    >
    > Otherwise, I'll put up a different percentage.

    Well, if you refer to a Python installation including all these packages
    (anyway, I don't think it would be so large) you should not call that "PSF
    Python". The Python Windows installer available from python.org is around 10,
    the source distribution around 8 MB.

    Georg

    Georg Brandl, Jul 27, 2006
  5. The Eternal Squire wrote:

    > A developer's installation of PSF, including Pywin, WxPython, Numpy,
    > Scipy I believe can run up to 300 MB, no?

    you're missing the point, no one forces you to install all these, also
    it is very unlikely that someone would have these unless they needed
    them.

    Istvan Albert, Jul 27, 2006