New Safari Browser for Windows & the WMP 11

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwdjrxyz, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Starting with the Windows Media Player (WMP) 10, Microsoft has made it
    available only for a Windows XP OS or above. Thus most other OSs are
    stuck with a WMP 9 or earlier version. Since Apple very recently
    released a beta version of their Safari browser for Windows, I was
    interested in seeing how it would handle the latest WMP 11.

    The Safari browser for Windows seems to handle the WMP 11 player
    fairly well. Here is a test embedded wmv video that works on it as
    well as on IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Opera. If it does not
    show an embedded player on Safari for windows, you likely need to
    download a plugin available from Apple just as you sometimes do for
    Firefox and some other non-IE browsers. See http://www.cwdjr.info/video_extreme/cancanWMVtest.html
    .. This is a rather high resolution video designed for broadband.

    The Safari for Windows, as well as nearly all recent browsers other
    than IE, will handle true xhtml served properly as application/xhtml
    +xml. I have a page http://www.cwdjr.info/video_extreme/cancanWMVtest2.xhtml
    served as true xhtml 1.1. It of course can not be viewed on any IE
    browser. It views correctly on Firefox, Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Opera.
    On Safari for Windows the page works. However the WMP is not embedded
    properly and you have to click the link at the top of the page to go
    directly to the WMP player instead. Since very few media pages are
    written and served as true xhtml (you have to associate the
    extension .xhtml or .xml with the mime type application/xhtml+xml on
    the server, since .html is reserved for normal html), this bug likely
    will not be noticed by many.

    I have played around with this a little, but what is causing this bug
    does not seem to be something simple. It is very strange that the
    problem does not occur on an html page if proper player plugins are
    installed. Also it is interesting that there is no problem with the
    xhtml page if an embedded Real player and Real video are used. If the
    problem is within the WMP 11, it could be extremely difficult to run
    down. The WMP is about the size of 3 or 4 lean browsers such as
    Firefox or Opera. I doubt if there are many who know the minute
    details of how it works, even at Microsoft. And since Microsoft does
    not support true xhtml in their IE browsers, I doubt if one could get
    them very interested in what is going on.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 16, 2007