new site for up-to-date Tk information

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mark Roseman, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Mark Roseman

    Mark Roseman Guest

    I've recently launched a website to help people learn and use Tk,
    including a tutorial, mini-reference, additional background information
    and more. Two things I hope will make this both unique and useful.

    First, the site is trying to help share information across the different
    language communities that use Tk. But that doesn't mean it's so general
    it's useless. The tutorial, examples and so on are all done up for
    multiple languages (you choose while viewing). The first two are Tcl
    and Ruby, with others to follow.

    Second, the information is about the latest version of Tk, which has
    major improvements to it that help do away with most of the ugliness Tk
    has been known for. But you need to learn a few new things to take
    advantage of all that. So the site will both help new users get off on
    the right foot, and help existing Tk developers learn about how to take
    advantage of the new stuff.

    You can find the site at:
    http://www.tkdocs.com

    While it's not yet complete, it's pretty far along and expanding
    quickly. All comments, suggestions, corrections and offers of help are
    most gratefully appreciated!

    Thanks
    Mark

    Mark Roseman, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Mark Roseman wrote:
    > I've recently launched a website to help people learn and use Tk,
    > including a tutorial, mini-reference, additional background information
    > and more. Two things I hope will make this both unique and useful.
    >
    > First, the site is trying to help share information across the different
    > language communities that use Tk. But that doesn't mean it's so general
    > it's useless. The tutorial, examples and so on are all done up for
    > multiple languages (you choose while viewing). The first two are Tcl
    > and Ruby, with others to follow.
    >
    > Second, the information is about the latest version of Tk, which has
    > major improvements to it that help do away with most of the ugliness Tk
    > has been known for. But you need to learn a few new things to take
    > advantage of all that. So the site will both help new users get off on
    > the right foot, and help existing Tk developers learn about how to take
    > advantage of the new stuff.
    >
    > You can find the site at:
    > http://www.tkdocs.com
    >
    > While it's not yet complete, it's pretty far along and expanding
    > quickly. All comments, suggestions, corrections and offers of help are
    > most gratefully appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    This looks really neat. Thanks for sharing.

    -Justin

    Justin Collins, Jan 18, 2008