New site - revisited. What needs changing BEFORE I get deeper. And a minor problem.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mike Barnard, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Hi all.

    Some of you may remember my thread of the 13th of Feb entitled "New
    site...". I've constructed a MkII site after a lot of reading (Thanks
    to Andy Dingley for reccomending "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML.
    Good book. Nearly read every page, about 20% to go.)

    www.thermachek.com/temp/

    Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
    fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).

    Problem.

    How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
    and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

    Thanks again.

    Mike.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard

    Bad form to reply to oneself. I had some files in the wrong places on
    the server for half an hour after my first post. Sorted.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 20, 2008

  3. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > www.thermachek.com/temp/
    >
    > Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
    > fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).

    Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
    what happens when users change their text size.

    > Problem.
    >
    > How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
    > and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

    You mean the look you get from adding

    margin-top: -34px;

    #left-column

    ?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Bad form to reply to oneself.

    Don't be silly. That's my job. People are always correcting their
    typos and things this way. Let me shew you.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 20, 2008
  5. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Bad form to reply to oneself.

    > Don't be silly. That's my job. People are always correcting their
    > typos and things this way. Let me shew you.

    Actually, there was such a spelling for the penultimate word
    above.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 20, 2008
  6. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:39:11 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >
    >> www.thermachek.com/temp/
    >>
    >> Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
    >> fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).
    >>

    >Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
    >what happens when users change their text size.
    >

    >> Problem.
    >>
    >> How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
    >> and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

    >You mean the look you get from adding
    >
    >margin-top: -34px;

    >#left-column

    Where did you get that from? The left column css is...

    #left-column
    {
    background-color: #CDEBF5;
    float: left;
    width: 150px;
    padding-top: 50px;
    clear: left;
    }

    The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
    naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
    'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
    If not, why not?

    Mike.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 21, 2008
  7. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    <fx: looks at posts by dorayme...>

    Arggggh. I bit into a troll! Puke.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 21, 2008
  8. Mike Barnard

    Jeff Guest

    Re: New site - revisited. What needs changing BEFORE I get deeper.And a minor problem.

    Mike Barnard wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:39:11 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> www.thermachek.com/temp/
    >>>
    >>> Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
    >>> fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).
    >>>

    >> Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
    >> what happens when users change their text size.
    >>

    >>> Problem.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
    >>> and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

    >> You mean the look you get from adding
    >>
    >> margin-top: -34px;

    >> #left-column

    > Where did you get that from? The left column css is...
    >
    > #left-column
    > {
    > background-color: #CDEBF5;
    > float: left;
    > width: 150px;
    > padding-top: 50px;
    > clear: left;
    > }
    >
    > The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
    > naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
    > 'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
    > If not, why not?

    What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
    even told you what to set it at.

    I think it was rather nice of him to go through the trouble, I'd offer
    an apology.

    As far as the rest of the page, set a right margin or padding so the
    text doesn't slam up against the right side. It doesn't have to be much.

    The text on the image of yourself should be aligned differently. You
    can just float the image: left and add a little right padding.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 21, 2008
  9. Jeff wrote:

    > What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
    > even told you what to set it at.

    Uhoh.

    Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -Jeff's gonna be a pressed duck...
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 21, 2008
  10. Mike Barnard

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
    >> even told you what to set it at.

    > Uhoh.
    >
    > Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

    Sigh, I suppose you are right.

    The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

    I'm not so sure that relative positioned offsets aren't such a bad idea.
    It may not solve most image slicing needs but it will some.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 21, 2008
  11. Jeff wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Jeff wrote:
    >>> What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
    >>> even told you what to set it at.

    >> Uhoh.
    >>
    >> Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

    > Sigh, I suppose you are right.
    >
    > The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

    I think you missed my [admittedly off-topic] point. <g>

    dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
    sentence.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 21, 2008
  12. Mike Barnard

    Jeff Guest

    Re: New site - revisited. What needs changing BEFORE I get deeper.And a minor problem.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> Uhoh.
    >>>
    >>> Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

    >> Sigh, I suppose you are right.
    >>
    >> The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

    > I think you missed my [admittedly off-topic] point. <g>
    >
    > dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
    > sentence.

    Oh, you are so right.

    My apologies to Ms. dorayme.

    Jeff
    Jeff, Feb 21, 2008
  13. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mike Barnard <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:39:11 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> www.thermachek.com/temp/
    > >>
    > >> Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
    > >> fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).
    > >>

    > >Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
    > >what happens when users change their text size.
    > >

    > >> Problem.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
    > >> and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

    > >You mean the look you get from adding
    > >
    > >margin-top: -34px;

    > >#left-column

    > Where did you get that from? The left column css is...
    >
    > #left-column
    > {
    > background-color: #CDEBF5;
    > float: left;
    > width: 150px;
    > padding-top: 50px;
    > clear: left;
    > }
    >
    > The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
    > naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
    > 'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
    > If not, why not?

    What is going on here? I say to look at putting margin-top: -34px
    on #left-column and ask you a question about this to find out if
    the result is the look you want and you are saying I am drunk?
    That I got it from somewhere?

    I say to look at what happens to your page when a user ups his
    text size and you say nothing about this?

    I bleed in pain to help you. I have come to earth to save you all
    and this is what I get?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 21, 2008
  14. Mike Barnard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

    > I think it was rather nice of him to go through the trouble, I'd offer
    > an apology.

    Thank you Jeff.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 21, 2008
  15. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
    > sentence.

    I can't define art, but I know when I'm not seeing it. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 21, 2008
  16. Mike Barnard

    mrcakey Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Mike Barnard <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard
    >> > <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Bad form to reply to oneself.

    >> Don't be silly. That's my job. People are always correcting their
    >> typos and things this way. Let me shew you.

    > Actually, there was such a spelling for the penultimate word
    > above.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Tee-hee!

    +mrcakey
    mrcakey, Feb 21, 2008
  17. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:40:11 -0500, Jeff <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote:

    >Mike Barnard wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:39:11 +1100, dorayme
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
    >>> what happens when users change their text size.

    >>> You mean the look you get from adding
    >>>
    >>> margin-top: -34px;

    >>> #left-column

    >> Where did you get that from? The left column css is...
    >>
    >> #left-column
    >> {
    >> background-color: #CDEBF5;
    >> float: left;
    >> width: 150px;
    >> padding-top: 50px;
    >> clear: left;
    >> }
    >>
    >> The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
    >> naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
    >> 'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
    >> If not, why not?

    > What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
    >even told you what to set it at.

    >I think it was rather nice of him to go through the trouble, I'd offer
    >an apology.

    Hmmm, it was late, I was tired and you are correct. I, er, killfiled
    dorayme straight away. I think I'd better go back, un filter then re
    download the forum. Then I can sort her out. See you in a minute...

    > As far as the rest of the page, set a right margin or padding so the
    >text doesn't slam up against the right side. It doesn't have to be much.

    Agreed. Thanks.

    > The text on the image of yourself should be aligned differently. You
    >can just float the image: left and add a little right padding.

    This isn't a done thing... that will be moved along with other stuff.
    I just wanted an overview of any potential problems BEFORE I got too
    deep into it.

    Mike.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 21, 2008
  18. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:25:34 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >What is going on here? I say to look at putting margin-top: -34px
    >on #left-column and ask you a question about this to find out if
    >the result is the look you want and you are saying I am drunk?
    >That I got it from somewhere?

    OOppppppsss.

    1. <em>My sincere apologies.</em>

    FWIW it was near midnight, I was tired and I didn't read the message
    properly. I *thought* you were saying that the -34 was already in my
    css and it was an error. So I checked thinking to myself "I've done
    what?". It wasn't there, and I posted saying so.

    As for the "It is late, are you drunk? If not, why not?" It was more a
    suggestion than a complaint.

    >I say to look at what happens to your page when a user ups his
    >text size and you say nothing about this?

    The column was on my mind, not the text. I was going to leave that
    till today but as you mention it... whats the cure?

    I have 100% in the body as a base size. I'm using % in the little
    text sizing I have done. The fonts are common (and not verdana). What
    technique should I be using I'm not?

    >I bleed in pain to help you. I have come to earth to save you all
    >and this is what I get?

    Aha... this is not geek / css / html strict talk! This is why I
    thought you where trolling. Amazing what a nights sleep will do to
    open the inner eyes.

    goto 1;

    Mike.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 21, 2008
  19. Mike Barnard

    <> wrote:

    >> >You mean the look you get from adding
    >> >
    >> >margin-top: -34px;

    >> >#left-column

    Hi again.

    This worked well in Firefox. But when I look at it in IE it overlaps
    the floated 'eye' logo instead of sliding under it. What in the float
    system is broken in IE?

    Can someone educate me as to the differences in the browsers that
    cause this?

    Thanks.

    Mike.
    Mike Barnard, Feb 21, 2008
  20. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard wrote:

    > Hi again.
    >
    > This worked well in Firefox. But when I look at it in IE it overlaps
    > the floated 'eye' logo instead of sliding under it. What in the float
    > system is broken in IE?

    Actually I believe IE is correct in this. Items lower on the page
    will have a higher z-Index.

    Look up zIndex and what it can be applied to.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 21, 2008