New site - revisited. What needs changing BEFORE I get deeper. And a minor problem.

Mike Barnard

Hi all.

Some of you may remember my thread of the 13th of Feb entitled "New
site...". I've constructed a MkII site after a lot of reading (Thanks
to Andy Dingley for reccomending "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML.
Good book. Nearly read every page, about 20% to go.)

www.thermachek.com/temp/

Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).

Problem.

How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

Thanks again.

Mike.

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard

Bad form to reply to oneself. I had some files in the wrong places on
the server for half an hour after my first post. Sorted.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
www.thermachek.com/temp/

Anyone want to comment on the basic structure? Logo and pics are still
fillers! (The eye is my wifes, by the way).

Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
what happens when users change their text size.

Problem.

How do I get the left column to rise under the logo. Both the column
and the logo are floating, so do I need to go z factor?

You mean the look you get from adding

margin-top: -34px;

#left-column

?

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:46 +0000, Mike Barnard

Bad form to reply to oneself.

Don't be silly. That's my job. People are always correcting their
typos and things this way. Let me shew you.

dorayme

dorayme said:
Don't be silly. That's my job. People are always correcting their
typos and things this way. Let me shew you.

Actually, there was such a spelling for the penultimate word
above.

Mike Barnard

Too many things for now, main one perhaps is px dimensioning, see
what happens when users change their text size.

You mean the look you get from adding

margin-top: -34px;

#left-column

Where did you get that from? The left column css is...

#left-column
{
background-color: #CDEBF5;
float: left;
width: 150px;
padding-top: 50px;
clear: left;
}

The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
If not, why not?

Mike.

Jeff

Mike said:
Where did you get that from? The left column css is...

#left-column
{
background-color: #CDEBF5;
float: left;
width: 150px;
padding-top: 50px;
clear: left;
}

The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
If not, why not?

What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
even told you what to set it at.

I think it was rather nice of him to go through the trouble, I'd offer
an apology.

As far as the rest of the page, set a right margin or padding so the
text doesn't slam up against the right side. It doesn't have to be much.

The text on the image of yourself should be aligned differently. You
can just float the image: left and add a little right padding.

Jeff

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeff said:
What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
even told you what to set it at.

Uhoh.

Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

Jeff

Beauregard said:
Uhoh.

Are you in for it, or what? ;-)

Sigh, I suppose you are right.

The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

I'm not so sure that relative positioned offsets aren't such a bad idea.
It may not solve most image slicing needs but it will some.

Jeff

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jeff said:
Sigh, I suppose you are right.

The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

I think you missed my [admittedly off-topic] point. <g>

dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
sentence.

Jeff

Beauregard said:
Jeff said:
Sigh, I suppose you are right.

The alternatives are to slice the image or to absolutely position it.

I think you missed my [admittedly off-topic] point. <g>

dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
sentence.
Oh, you are so right.

My apologies to Ms. dorayme.

Jeff

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
Where did you get that from? The left column css is...

#left-column
{
background-color: #CDEBF5;
float: left;
width: 150px;
padding-top: 50px;
clear: left;
}

The 50px padding was an attempt to push the top of the column up.
naturally, it just pushed the text down. There is only one
'margin-top' in the css and it ain't here. It is late, are you drunk?
If not, why not?

What is going on here? I say to look at putting margin-top: -34px
on #left-column and ask you a question about this to find out if
the result is the look you want and you are saying I am drunk?
That I got it from somewhere?

I say to look at what happens to your page when a user ups his
text size and you say nothing about this?

I bleed in pain to help you. I have come to earth to save you all
and this is what I get?

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
dorayme spells *her* name in all lower-case letters. Even if it begins a
sentence.

I can't define art, but I know when I'm not seeing it. :)

Mike Barnard

What Dorayme is suggesting is that you add negative margin, and he
even told you what to set it at.
I think it was rather nice of him to go through the trouble, I'd offer
an apology.

Hmmm, it was late, I was tired and you are correct. I, er, killfiled
dorayme straight away. I think I'd better go back, un filter then re
download the forum. Then I can sort her out. See you in a minute...
As far as the rest of the page, set a right margin or padding so the
text doesn't slam up against the right side. It doesn't have to be much.

Agreed. Thanks.
The text on the image of yourself should be aligned differently. You
can just float the image: left and add a little right padding.

This isn't a done thing... that will be moved along with other stuff.
I just wanted an overview of any potential problems BEFORE I got too
deep into it.

Mike.

Mike Barnard

What is going on here? I say to look at putting margin-top: -34px
on #left-column and ask you a question about this to find out if
the result is the look you want and you are saying I am drunk?
That I got it from somewhere?

OOppppppsss.

1. <em>My sincere apologies.</em>

FWIW it was near midnight, I was tired and I didn't read the message
properly. I *thought* you were saying that the -34 was already in my
css and it was an error. So I checked thinking to myself "I've done
what?". It wasn't there, and I posted saying so.

As for the "It is late, are you drunk? If not, why not?" It was more a
suggestion than a complaint.
I say to look at what happens to your page when a user ups his
text size and you say nothing about this?

The column was on my mind, not the text. I was going to leave that
till today but as you mention it... whats the cure?

I have 100% in the body as a base size. I'm using % in the little
text sizing I have done. The fonts are common (and not verdana). What
technique should I be using I'm not?
I bleed in pain to help you. I have come to earth to save you all
and this is what I get?

Aha... this is not geek / css / html strict talk! This is why I
thought you where trolling. Amazing what a nights sleep will do to
open the inner eyes.

goto 1;

Mike.

Mike Barnard

Hi again.

This worked well in Firefox. But when I look at it in IE it overlaps
the floated 'eye' logo instead of sliding under it. What in the float
system is broken in IE?

Can someone educate me as to the differences in the browsers that
cause this?

Thanks.

Mike.

Jeff

Mike said:
Hi again.

This worked well in Firefox. But when I look at it in IE it overlaps
the floated 'eye' logo instead of sliding under it. What in the float
system is broken in IE?

Actually I believe IE is correct in this. Items lower on the page
will have a higher z-Index.

Look up zIndex and what it can be applied to.

Jeff

orderPeak8CBDGummies