New site - revisited. What needs changing BEFORE I get deeper. And a minor problem.

Mike Barnard

Actually I believe IE is correct in this. Items lower on the page
will have a higher z-Index.
Look up zIndex and what it can be applied to.

Thanks Jeff. I wondered if that might be a fix but I assumed there
would be one of IE's 111 bugs to blame. Assumption, the mother of all
f***ups.

Mike.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
OOppppppsss.

1. <em>My sincere apologies.</em>

FWIW it was near midnight, I was tired and I didn't read the message
properly.

The column was on my mind, not the text. I was going to leave that
till today but as you mention it... whats the cure?

Aha... this is not geek / css / html strict talk! This is why I
thought you where trolling.

It is trolling. That is the trolling part. Everything that does
not fit in with your caricature is trolling. Put the trolling
parts of me in your killfile. I come in bits, its ok.

As for your question about text, it is not the text
specifications that are the trouble but the dimensioning of the
boxes that they are supposed to be in. It is like this: if you
put a baby elephant in a house, it might be ok for a while. But
the combination will be unhappy when the elephant grows and the
house does not. There is nothing wrong with the elephant. (I used
to read to kids a long time back a story about a boy who brought
a baby elephant home and on each page the consequences grew
delightfully...)

dorayme

As for your question about text, it is not the text
specifications that are the trouble but the dimensioning of the
boxes that they are supposed to be in.

One way to keep text in boxes is to make the boxes grow with the
text. You can do this by specifying a width in em rather than
pixels. Thus for your #left-column, you might try width: 13em;
and follow up with changing the left margin of your #content too
from px to ems, perhaps 14em would look as reasonable to you as
to me.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
Hi again.

This worked well in Firefox. But when I look at it in IE it overlaps
the floated 'eye' logo instead of sliding under it. What in the float
system is broken in IE?

Can someone educate me as to the differences in the browsers that
cause this?

I did not give you the neg margin as an actual solution (though
it might be part of some solution). It was more to find out if
that was the look you wanted regarding where the blue started.

Anyway, what you have at this moment (7.43 am Sydney) looks ok in
FF, but not in Safari where the blue slides *over* the fire
helmet(?)logo.

I would suggest redesigning some markup for the top bits of your
page that do not require all this fancy footwork with neg
margins. If you are fixed on the look of that banner, the red,
the light blue strip underneath, the helmet thing to the left,
the text a bit to the right, fine. Put the whole lot in a div and
give it a thin strip of vertical background that gets repeated in
the horizontal direction. The vertical bg will be these colours
you like, mostly red and a bit of blue at the foot. Be reasonable
and give some spare pixels so the tiny text can grow. It does not
matter if this type breaks out a bit with unusually large user
set text size. Get the blue to be just below the helmet. It is
simple because all in pixels.

This way, the whole top unit is a nice simple rectangle and the
rest, especially the left nav col will but nicely up to it. No
tricks. Solid.

Yes, I know, the dimensioning of the box up top will be pixels
and this goes "against" the idea of text growing within their
boxes. But things are a matter of give and take. You have to make
decisions. There are solutions to everything. Perfection is hard.
You can either simply make the heading text a size that will be
fine for a few text size clicks by the user either way and don't
worry about things breaking out under extreme controls or you can
simply make the header text a picture itself. *Often* quite a
fine thing to do and a way to get a nice font or graphic impact.
It is an option and the world will not cave in if you do this.

Mike Barnard

One way to keep text in boxes is to make the boxes grow with the
text. You can do this by specifying a width in em rather than
pixels. Thus for your #left-column, you might try width: 13em;
and follow up with changing the left margin of your #content too
from px to ems, perhaps 14em would look as reasonable to you as
to me.

Aha, another snippet to put into my slowly growing text file called
"Good practices." I just need to learn to spell the word now.

BTW, I read (most of) your treatise on drugs. Worded wonderfully, and
in principle I agree. Well, you said earlier to someone else that you
didn't expect them to actually read it. So I did.

Mike Barnard

I did not give you the neg margin as an actual solution (though
it might be part of some solution). It was more to find out if
that was the look you wanted regarding where the blue started.

Doh. Assumption again.
Anyway, what you have at this moment (7.43 am Sydney) looks ok in
FF, but not in Safari where the blue slides *over* the fire
helmet(?)logo.

Thats an eye that is. To be precise, my wifes right eye. Just a filler
but an eye with flames reflected in the whites is what I (think I)
want eventually.

I have an (ex) nephew who emigrated to Sydney many years ago. Do you
know... nooooo, I won't.
I would suggest redesigning some markup for the top bits of your
page that do not require all this fancy footwork with neg
margins. If you are fixed on the look of that banner, the red,

Agreed. I'm learning as I go, from the previously mentioned book,
websites, this group and some reading of other sites markup.
the light blue strip underneath, the helmet thing to the left,

Eye, dammit, eye.
the text a bit to the right, fine. Put the whole lot in a div and
give it a thin strip of vertical background that gets repeated in
the horizontal direction. The vertical bg will be these colours
you like, mostly red and a bit of blue at the foot.

Eye was wondering wether to make the name a graphic too, that way it
won't take up huge amounts of space when text size is increased. I've
read of methods to replace it with text for crawlers and stuff.
Be reasonable
and give some spare pixels so the tiny text can grow. It does not
matter if this type breaks out a bit with unusually large user
set text size. Get the blue to be just below the helmet. It is
simple because all in pixels.

Eye like the eye to hang over the line. But, who knows.
This way, the whole top unit is a nice simple rectangle and the
rest, especially the left nav col will but nicely up to it. No
tricks. Solid.

Z axis only works on positioned elements, correct? What about fixing
the EYE in the top left, doing the rest, and giving it a high z?

BTW, is there any software to read an elements current z? I have the
latest web developer toolbar on FF and the 'display element
information' is well useful but no readins of z.
Yes, I know, the dimensioning of the box up top will be pixels
and this goes "against" the idea of text growing within their
boxes. But things are a matter of give and take. You have to make

Graphics again.
decisions. There are solutions to everything. Perfection is hard.

I don't know... I've managed.
You can either simply make the heading text a size that will be
fine for a few text size clicks by the user either way and don't
worry about things breaking out under extreme controls or you can
simply make the header text a picture itself. *Often* quite a

Doh. Why didn't I read the whole text before I started replying?
fine thing to do and a way to get a nice font or graphic impact.
It is an option and the world will not cave in if you do this.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. A pen and paper are my next tools,
and maybe v3 tomorrow. Here it's 10 pm. Another hour and I'm off to
pixieland. Night night.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
I have an (ex) nephew who emigrated to Sydney many years ago. Do you
know... nooooo, I won't.

I had a friend who was a fireman. His name was Jerry.

Ben C

On 2008-02-21 said:
Z axis only works on positioned elements, correct?
Yes.

What about fixing the EYE in the top left, doing the rest, and giving
it a high z?

You can just make it position: relative. If you don't set any of top,
left, bottom or right, it will just stay where it is in the x and and y
dimensions but z-index will (/should) work on it.
BTW, is there any software to read an elements current z?

If you mean its actual stacking position (not its value of z-index--
they're very different things), I don't think so. Very few browsers get
stacking absolutely 100% correct according to the specifications.

Ed Jay

dorayme scribed:
I had a friend who was a fireman. His name was Jerry.

I know a guy named Jerry who knows someone who knows a fireman. I wonder if
there's something here.

What is the link to your drug info?

dorayme

Ed Jay said:
dorayme scribed:

I know a guy named Jerry who knows someone who knows a fireman. I wonder if
there's something here.

My daughter's cat was called Jerry. (Which always struck me as
odd, having being brought up on Tom and Jerry cartoons
(especially in English Tats, continuous news movie shows. They
still there in old Pom country?)
What is the link to your drug info?

Good question. There is a version used to illustrate something or
other about em sizing (if I recall) at:

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/opinion/drugLaws.html>

Mike Barnard

I had a friend who was a fireman. His name was Jerry.

There was a Gerry on my watch a few years ago. He retired and became
one of the people in black coats who carry coffins at funerals.

Mike Barnard

You can just make it position: relative. If you don't set any of top,
left, bottom or right, it will just stay where it is in the x and and y
dimensions but z-index will (/should) work on it.

All changed, now. It looked crap anyway, but I'm learning lots here.
If you mean its actual stacking position (not its value of z-index--
they're very different things), I don't think so. Very few browsers get
stacking absolutely 100% correct according to the specifications.

Oh well, thanks for the input.

Mike.

dorayme

Mike Barnard said:
There was a Gerry on my watch a few years ago. He retired and became
one of the people in black coats who carry coffins at funerals.

and maybe says things like "... it is a slow day... but someone
might die and my day will improve..."?

Ed Jay

dorayme scribed:
My daughter's cat was called Jerry. (Which always struck me as
odd, having being brought up on Tom and Jerry cartoons
(especially in English Tats, continuous news movie shows. They
still there in old Pom country?)

Good question. There is a version used to illustrate something or
other about em sizing (if I recall) at:

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/opinion/drugLaws.html>

Interesting essay, with which I agree.

You might find it interesting to google 'marijuana Hearst.'

dorayme

Good question. There is a version used to illustrate something or
other about em sizing (if I recall) at:

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/opinion/drugLaws.html>

Interesting essay, with which I agree.

You might find it interesting to google 'marijuana Hearst.'[/QUOTE]

Thank you. In a sense, I am not keen on knowing a lot about
particular drugs. But perhaps you are suggesting the history of
social and political reactions to particular drugs is
informative. I am sure you are right.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
and maybe says things like "... it is a slow day... but someone
might die and my day will improve..."?

I live almost across the street from a Catholic church ... lot's of
people in Glendale die ... I hear the bell, and wonder, for whom the
bell tolls (it tolls for a long time, too) - but I find out on Sunday
morning.

Ed Jay

dorayme scribed:
Interesting essay, with which I agree.

You might find it interesting to google 'marijuana Hearst.'

Thank you. In a sense, I am not keen on knowing a lot about
particular drugs. But perhaps you are suggesting the history of
social and political reactions to particular drugs is
informative. I am sure you are right.[/QUOTE]

In this case I was referring to causation, not reactions or responses. I
offered up that the criminalization of marijuana in the USA is not a classic
case of prohibition.

I embrace your article's philosophy. It's mentally stimulating. I've simply
taken it to a causation level. Fun. :)

dorayme

Ed Jay said:
dorayme scribed:

... the criminalization of marijuana in the USA is not a classic
case of prohibition.

I am sure the details are interesting, whenever you look into any
of these things, the idea of classic soon evaporates as you see
how a set of prejudices of one person or a small group cascades
through a community, playing on the fears and ignorance of all.

Cheers.

Noble71S45