New SourceForge project: Diet Python!!!

The Eternal Squire

Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language
ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
clients thin :)

You'll find it in http://sourceforge.net/projects/dietpython

Paul Rubin

The Eternal Squire said:
Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language
ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
clients thin :)

PSF Python is 300 MB?!

skip

Just an FYI, but Python 2.5 comes with ctypes, not calldll. Might be worth
switching to remain compatible at that level.

Skip

The Eternal Squire

Hm.... didn't I leave ctypes in there? I added calldll because it had
a really nice can opener.

The Eternal Squire

Jarek Zgoda

The Eternal Squire napisa³(a):
Diet Python is a flavor of Python with allegro, multiarray, umath,
calldll, npstruct and curses builtin, all else nonessential to language
ripped out. Total size < 3MB, 1% of PSF Python. Diet Python helps keep
clients thin :)

Why do you think curses are essential? I'd rip out them too, they have
no use on Windows.

The Eternal Squire

Best interface for roguelike gaming.

Jarek said:
The Eternal Squire napisa³(a):

Why do you think curses are essential? I'd rip out them too, they have
no use on Windows.

The Eternal Squire

I'll try to figure out a way to let people know who the FAQ I am :)

The Eternal Squire

skip

Oh, I have no idea (didn't download). I just sort of assumed if you had
included calldll you probably hadn't included ctypes.

Skip

Simon Hibbs

I was reading an article about the One Laptop Per Child initiative the
other day, and being a Python fan I wondered if there are any plans to
put Python on it, or at least make it available. A cut-down version of
python, preferably with bindings to the Sugar GUI framework they are
developing, would be a Very Good Thing.

They're planning on manufacturing 100 million of these things!

Simon Hibbs

Simon Brunning

I was reading an article about the One Laptop Per Child initiative the
other day, and being a Python fan I wondered if there are any plans to
put Python on it, or at least make it available. A cut-down version of
python, preferably with bindings to the Sugar GUI framework they are
developing, would be a Very Good Thing.

Sounds like Sugar is built (partially) with Python.

<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060524-6903.html>