New tab

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Brian Robertson, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

    Brian.

    Brian Robertson, Jun 19, 2007

  2. Brian Robertson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dmLdi.558$>,
    Brian Robertson <brianrobertson@[nospam].com> wrote:

    > How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

    On Firefox and iCab I do it by pressing the command key as i
    click links in the browser window. As for links that occur
    elsewhere, e.g., in newsreader, I have set the preferences in FF
    and iCab so that they open always in new tabs. That is on a Mac.

    If you are asking how to do it on a Windows machine, I think
    maybe similar but perhaps a the Alt key. Look at Properties.

    If you are asking how to make it happen on someone else's
    computer when they are clicking on links in your website, I
    believe this is not a good idea even if there was a reliable way
    to ensure this. Mainly because it might not please the user who
    should therefore be allowed to decide these things for him or
    herself.

    You can put target="_blank" in your links (not kosher in Strict)
    and this is a handle that might trigger a new tab if the user
    (like me) sets the browser to so act. But if it is ot explicitly
    so set by the user, it will default open a new window. Not a good
    bet as default is much more likely.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Brian Robertson

    John Hosking Guest

    Brian Robertson wrote:
    > How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

    You can't. HTML provides no means to do so. Your link may coincidentally
    open a new tab, but that depends entirely on the settings of the user's
    browser (and of course some browsers and other UA's don't even have tabs).

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Jun 19, 2007
  4. Scripsit dorayme:

    > If you are asking how to do it on a Windows machine, I think
    > maybe similar but perhaps a the Alt key. Look at Properties.

    On IE 7, using a three-button mouse, you can just click on a click with the
    middle button.

    > You can put target="_blank" in your links (not kosher in Strict)
    > and this is a handle that might trigger a new tab if the user
    > (like me) sets the browser to so act.

    Indeed. Thus, using the middle button is a simple and effective weapon
    against target="_blank". However, not all users know this. Besides, there's
    no comparable simple method for opening a link in the current window and the
    current tab (i.e., using it as a normal link) if the link has
    target="_blank". So target="_blank" is still a nuisance, especially to
    novice users who easily get confused. (They try to use the Back button,
    without realizing that a new window was thrown at them.)

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 19, 2007
  5. "Jukka K. Korpela" wrote:
    > there's no comparable simple method for opening a link in the current
    > window and the current tab (i.e., using it as a normal link) if the link has
    > target="_blank".

    In opera, i can simply right click > open any link to force it to open
    in the same tab.

    scripts.contact, Jun 20, 2007