New thread: Which version of Tomcat?

meemee

I am having problems replying in original thread asking, initially,
about the version of Tomcat to use.
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
7 different distributions right below the Windows binaries

I am sorry, I meant, Tomcat. I had already downloaded M7SQL 5.0 for
both XP and Linux .

At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:

zip (pgp, md5)
tar.gz (pgp, md5)
Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)

Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux? I am guessing
that the zip and tar.gx are the same while I would also need to use
Windows Service Installer.

READ ME -
http://apache.mirrormax.net/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.5.20/README.html - gives
the followings:

Packaging Details (or "What Should I Download?")

apache-tomcat-[version].zip or .tar.gz: base distro, all non-embedded
users download this.
apache-tomcat-[version].exe: Windows installer with base distro
contents + Windows installation.
apache-tomcat-[version]-admin.zip or .tar.gz: the Tomcat Administration
webapp only.
apache-tomcat-[version]-compat.zip or .tar.gz: required in addition to
the base distro for using tomcat with a Java 1.4 environment.
apache-tomcat-[version]-deployer.zip or .tar.gz: the standalone Tomcat
Web Application Deployer.
apache-tomcat-[version]-embed.zip or .tar.gz: for using Tomcat only as
an embedded servlet container.