New thread: Which version of Tomcat?

Discussion in 'Java' started by meemee, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. meemee

    meemee Guest

    I am having problems replying in original thread asking, initially,
    about the version of Tomcat to use.

    >> I didn't see MySQL 5.0 for Linux.

    > http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
    > 7 different distributions right below the Windows binaries

    I am sorry, I meant, Tomcat. I had already downloaded M7SQL 5.0 for
    both XP and Linux .

    At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:

    zip (pgp, md5)
    tar.gz (pgp, md5)
    Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)

    Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux? I am guessing
    that the zip and tar.gx are the same while I would also need to use
    Windows Service Installer.

    READ ME -
    http://apache.mirrormax.net/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.5.20/README.html - gives
    the followings:

    Packaging Details (or "What Should I Download?")

    apache-tomcat-[version].zip or .tar.gz: base distro, all non-embedded
    users download this.
    apache-tomcat-[version].exe: Windows installer with base distro
    contents + Windows installation.
    apache-tomcat-[version]-admin.zip or .tar.gz: the Tomcat Administration
    webapp only.
    apache-tomcat-[version]-compat.zip or .tar.gz: required in addition to
    the base distro for using tomcat with a Java 1.4 environment.
    apache-tomcat-[version]-deployer.zip or .tar.gz: the standalone Tomcat
    Web Application Deployer.
    apache-tomcat-[version]-embed.zip or .tar.gz: for using Tomcat only as
    an embedded servlet container.

    meemee, Jan 9, 2007