New to ASP.NET - A very basic question regarding the ViewState and Server Round Trips

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by msnews.microsoft.com, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Hello All,

    I am very new to ASP.NET and I have a basic question. Can somebody please
    explain?

    I have an .aspx Web Page with a textbox control.

    When the Page initially loads I am calling a Javascript function to write a
    text information in the text box.

    After that when I refresh the Page, I was hoping the information in the
    textbox will be lost. But it stays.

    I thought the 'EnableViewState' is set to 'True' and I made it 'False'.

    Then when I refresh the page still my text stays in the TextBox.

    This is confusing me.

    I thought WebPages make round trips to server and hence new page is loaded
    everytime. But how is my text still staying the text box?

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks for your time.

    Regards
    Anand Ganesh

    msnews.microsoft.com, Apr 21, 2005

  2. msnews.microsoft.com

    Karl Seguin Guest

    This isnt' an ASP.Net thing...it's how most browsers behave...go to
    www.google.com, enter some text and hit f5/reload...the text will stay...

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)

    Karl Seguin, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Hi Karl,

    I tried doing this in google.com and everytime I refresh I am getting a
    fresh page back with no text.

    This is what I am expecting in my ASP.NET app but is not happening.

    Thanks
    Anand

    msnews.microsoft.com, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Textboxes don't use viewstate to store their text property.
    This is handled by standard HTML.
    If you want to clear the textbox then use code like this:
    MyTextBox.Text = ""

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 21, 2005
  5. Steve,

    Thanks for the info.

    Here is what I observed in my ASP.NET application.

    Observation 1:
    Every time I do refresh (ctrl-F5) even if I add a text in my text box it is
    cleared and whenever I do refresh I am geting fresh page with no text. So
    this is exactly what I am expecting.

    Observation 2:
    When I click once on the ASP:Button which is on my page, then the page is
    not loading but only the Postback event is happening. So during this
    Postback event whatever Text info I used for the First Submit always stays
    in my text box. Even if I change the value latter and then do a refresh
    whatever Text Info I used for the First Submit stays in the text box.

    So my question is

    What is happening during the "ASP:Button" click event?

    I thought it makes a round trip to server and behave same as the initial
    page load event but it is not like that.

    Can you please clarify?

    Thanks
    Anand Ganesh

    msnews.microsoft.com, Apr 21, 2005
  6. The value of the textbox is being posted back to the page upon each
    postback.
    This is standard HTML functionality and is not related to ASP.NET.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 23, 2005