New to ASP.NET but oldtime ASP classic developer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JackV, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. JackV

    JackV Guest

    Hi all,

    Just starting in ASP.NET finnally. I have a basic question.

    I want to simply display data from a SQLSever table on to the webpage.
    Simple enough?

    I created an app on the ASP server and added the a Data Web Form, found my
    table and fields and then...

    When I go and build and show the page, it is blank.....

    Um, No complie errors or warnings so what happened? I then placed a simple
    label on the form to make sure I am viewing the right page. And yes the
    label came up.

    So somehow the page is not pulling the data...

    Any helpful ideas or easy step by step samples will be helpful. Thanks

    JackV, Feb 26, 2004

  2. You have to have a control that accepts your data to display it to the client or you manually iterate thru the data and compose a HTML table to send to the client

    In ASP.NET you can use the DataGrid control and bind the data to it and it will take care of displaying the data on the client browser

    For sample code visit
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quicks...rt/aspplus/samples/webforms/data/datagrid1.sr

    Suresh

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZXNo?=, Feb 26, 2004

  3. > When I go and build and show the page, it is blank.....

    Are you using VS.NET? If so, are you hitting F5 to do this (or going to
    Start/Debug)?

    Is the code to bind the data to your data Web control in the Page_Load
    event handler? What does your code-behind class look like?

    Thanks.

    --

    Scott Mitchell

    http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com
    http://www.ASPFAQs.com
    http://www.ASPMessageboard.com

    Scott Mitchell [MVP], Feb 26, 2004
  4. JackV

    JackV Guest

    Thanks for the help. The samples made a real difference...

    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quicks...t/aspplus/samples/webforms/data/datagrid1.src

    JackV, Feb 26, 2004