    thanks,

    ~Jeremy

    , Sep 22, 2007

  2. Forum Guest

    Did you recompile/publish your solution?

    <> schreef in bericht

    Forum, Sep 22, 2007

  3. re:
    !> Did you recompile/publish your solution?

    That should only be necessary if he's using ASP.NET 1.1,
    or if he's using the Web Application Project option in VS 2005..

    With "standard" ASP.NET 2.0, changing any *.aspx.vb source files,
    via ftp for example, should cause automatic recompilation.

    See an extensive listing of which file changes trigger automatic recompilation in ASP.NET 2.0,
    in a thread titled "What file changes restart an ASP.net 2.0 application?", posted on September 20 by me.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I change
    server code.

    Alexander Higgins, Sep 22, 2007
  5. That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
    solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find out
    about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when the
    first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?
    -- Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Sep 22, 2007
  6. "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    >> Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I
    >> change
    >> server code.

    > That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
    > solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find
    > out
    > about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when
    > the
    > first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?

    I couldn't agree more! I've never understood how any serious developer could
    even contemplate hacking about with a production system in this way...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 22, 2007
  7. Shelly Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <>
    > wrote in message
    >
    >>> Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I
    >>> change
    >>> server code.

    >> That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
    >> solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find
    >> out
    >> about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when
    >> the
    >> first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?

    > I couldn't agree more! I've never understood how any serious developer
    > could even contemplate hacking about with a production system in this
    > way...

    I couldn't agree with you more also. My method is to copy the driving file
    and rename it (adding a "1", for example). I then make copies of affected
    files the same way. I do my editing and upload those. I then test by going
    directly to the new driver file. After it works, I change the filenames to
    the ones I want as well as the pointers to changed files. Then I delete the
    temporary files. This is the safest way I see to do things for a production
    system.

    Shelly

    Shelly, Sep 23, 2007

    On Sep 22, 12:02 am, "Forum" <> wrote:
    > Did you recompile/publish your solution?

    My project file is all held on a computer that doesn't have visual
    studio. I'm not even sure how the application runs or anything since I
    wasn't the one who originally wrote it. If I try to open the solution
    file it just pops up "open with..." I have to edit the files with
    notepad. But, again, i'm new to all this stuff, so maybe theres
    something I'm missing. I'm familiar with VB.NET in vs2005.

    thanks for the help

    ~Jeremy

    , Sep 24, 2007
  9. re:
    !> I'm new to all this stuff, so maybe there's something I'm missing

    Sure, you're missing Visual Studio. :)

    If money is a problem, download Visual Web Developer Express 2005.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700797.aspx

    It may not read VS 2005's solution files...but it will read/compile everything else.
    If it doesn't VS 2005's solution files, you can fix that problem very easily.

    When VWD attempts to open the solution you might get a message saying something like :
    "...this is a solution file, but it was created using a newer version of Visual Studio."

    VWD parses the first line of the solution file to determine its version.
    By editing the file in Notepad, you can get it to work in VWD.

    If the file has "Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00" in its first line,
    change it to "Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 9.00".

    Making sure the solution file's version is 9.0 will allow you to open a VS 2005 solution file in VWD.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 24, 2007