new to asp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by jaydonnell, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. jaydonnell

    jaydonnell Guest

    I'm doing some asp, but all of my experience is with linux and linux
    related tools like python, php, mysql, etc.

    Basically, I can't find any good resources for asp/vb script. Nothing
    akin to the docs on python.org or php.net.

    Here is my current problem. I have a result set I got from an adodb
    connection and I want to loop through all the fields, but the number of
    fields may vary. Here's my code.

    If not RS.eof then
    RS.movefirst
    Do

    'this doesn't work so how would I do this.
    for each field in rs.fields
    Response.write "Here is some Data " & field & "<br>"
    next

    Rs.movenext
    Loop until RS.eof
    End if

    Basically, I don't know how to get the fields into a form that I can
    loop through. Any help or links to good resources will be greatly
    appreciated.

    jaydonnell, Dec 14, 2004

  2. www.aspFaq.com

    For Each objField In objRecord.Fields
    Response.Write objField.Name & "<br>"
    Next

    Gérard Leclercq, Dec 14, 2004

  3. jaydonnell

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 14 Dec 2004 09:54:51 -0800, "jaydonnell" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm doing some asp, but all of my experience is with linux and linux
    >related tools like python, php, mysql, etc.
    >
    >Basically, I can't find any good resources for asp/vb script. Nothing
    >akin to the docs on python.org or php.net.

    There's always:

    http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/vbscript/quickref/vbscript_intro.html
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/vtoriVBScript.asp
    http://ww.aspfaq.com/

    >Here is my current problem. I have a result set I got from an adodb
    >connection and I want to loop through all the fields, but the number of
    >fields may vary. Here's my code.
    >
    >If not RS.eof then
    >RS.movefirst
    >Do
    >
    >'this doesn't work so how would I do this.
    >for each field in rs.fields
    >Response.write "Here is some Data " & field & "<br>"
    >next
    >
    >Rs.movenext
    >Loop until RS.eof
    >End if
    >

    >Basically, I don't know how to get the fields into a form that I can
    >loop through. Any help or links to good resources will be greatly
    >appreciated.

    Check this list of tutorials and samples for using record sets:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=asp recordset tutorial

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 15, 2004