    Can someone help me?
    Bye
    Maurizio

    maurizio, Aug 21, 2004

  2. maurizio

    Sharad Kala Guest

    "maurizio" <> wrote in message .
    > I am a java programmer and i want to start to write c++ program: I have

    That's good.

    > found the compiler and the examples but i have't found nothing about the
    > GUI, like frames, textfields, etc.

    Things like frames, textfields are NOT defined by *Standard* C++. You need
    to check your compiler documentation to do such things. You may want to read
    a good C++ textbook like Accelarated C++ (Koening & Moo) or You Can Do It!
    (Francis Glassborrow).

    -Sharad

    Sharad Kala, Aug 21, 2004

  3. maurizio

    maurizio Guest

    "Sharad Kala" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > "maurizio" <> wrote in message .
    > > I am a java programmer and i want to start to write c++ program: I have

    > That's good.
    >
    > > found the compiler and the examples but i have't found nothing about the
    > > GUI, like frames, textfields, etc.

    > Things like frames, textfields are NOT defined by *Standard* C++. You need
    > to check your compiler documentation to do such things. You may want to

    read
    > a good C++ textbook like Accelarated C++ (Koening & Moo) or You Can Do It!
    > (Francis Glassborrow).
    >
    > -Sharad

    If i understand, but i'm not really sure, the GUIs and other user interfaces
    are in personal or enterprise library not standard, that i have to pay and
    to import in my program.
    Regard
    Maurizio

    maurizio, Aug 21, 2004
  4. maurizio

    Sharad Kala Guest

    > If i understand, but i'm not really sure, the GUIs and other user

    interfaces
    > are in personal or enterprise library not standard, that i have to pay and
    > to import in my program.

    Standard C++ is defined by ISO/IEC 14882:2003. It has no notion of GUI
    programming. To do these kind of things you need to resort to 3rd party
    libraries or support/extensions provided by your compiler. E.g. on VC++ you
    can use MFC or WTL to do these kind of things but these are non-standard
    i.e. non-portable.

    -Sharad

    Sharad Kala, Aug 21, 2004
  5. maurizio wrote:

    > If i understand, but i'm not really sure, the GUIs and other user
    > interfaces are in personal or enterprise library not standard, that i have
    > to pay and to import in my program.

    Not always. In windows, for example, you can use the Windows API with any
    reasonable C++ compiler without paying anything. In other platforms they
    can have his own standard libraries for graphics. And if none of this
    exists or is not adequate, there are free libraries available, and some of
    them are multi-platform in some degree.

    --
    Salu2

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Aug 21, 2004
  6. maurizio

    maurizio Guest

    "Julián Albo" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > maurizio wrote:
    >
    > > If i understand, but i'm not really sure, the GUIs and other user
    > > interfaces are in personal or enterprise library not standard, that i

    have
    > > to pay and to import in my program.

    > Not always. In windows, for example, you can use the Windows API with any
    > reasonable C++ compiler without paying anything. In other platforms they
    > can have his own standard libraries for graphics. And if none of this
    > exists or is not adequate, there are free libraries available, and some of
    > them are multi-platform in some degree.
    >
    > --
    > Salu2

    I use a free Bordland line command compiler.
    How I can use these Windows API

    maurizio, Aug 21, 2004
  7. maurizio wrote:

    > I use a free Bordland line command compiler.
    > How I can use these Windows API

    Hard to say in a few lines, and is off topic in this newsgroup. Take some
    book and/or tutorial about windows programming, and visit the appropiate
    newsgroup in the borland. hierarchy for the peculiarities of your compiler.

    --
    Salu2

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Aug 21, 2004
  8. maurizio

    Mabden Guest

    "maurizio" <> wrote in message

    > "Julián Albo" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > maurizio wrote:
    > >
    > > > If i understand, but i'm not really sure, the GUIs and other user
    > > > interfaces are in personal or enterprise library not standard,
    > > > that i have to pay and to import in my program.

    [snip]

    > I use a free Bordland line command compiler.
    > How I can use these Windows API

    You could try C#. It has the GUI objects you are talking about, and there
    are free tools out there. Just be aware that it is Microsoft specific, altho
    there are ports to other platforms, and MS may change it freely. Also, the
    computer running the program you write will need the (free) Runtime engine,
    just like Java.

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Aug 21, 2004
  9. maurizio

    joe Guest

    Why not look at C# instead. C++ is dying.

    joe, Aug 22, 2004
  10. maurizio

    red floyd Guest

    joe wrote:
    > Why not look at C# instead. C++ is dying.

    I know it's feeding the troll, but...

    Maybe he wants to write code that will work on systems other then Windows?

    red floyd, Aug 22, 2004
  11. joe wrote:

    > Why not look at C# instead. C++ is dying.

    <Troll Fodder>
    Would you please elaborate how C++ is dying.
    Please state facts and cite references. If
    using statistics, please indicate where and
    how they were obtained as well as the quantity
    and margin of error.

    From the activity on this newsgroup, I would
    say that the C++ language is alive and kicking.
    I see over 100 posts per day. There has been
    enough interest to warrant a separate newsgroup
    dedicated to the learning of this language.

    If you like C# more than C++, that is your
    right. But don't say one is dying without
    proper facts to back up your claim.

    </Troll Fodder>

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Aug 23, 2004
  12. maurizio

    Jamshaid Guest

    Hello everybody !
    I am a VB programmer and new to C++. Recently i bought the book "C++
    How To Program 4e" from Deitel. Can anyone recommend a good C++
    compiler, Is Visual c++.net ok? I want to program in Linux too in the
    future so do I have to use another compiler for that?

    One more thing, I was visiting Bjarne Stroustrup's site and was
    surprised to read the applications page,

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html

    Is it true that even softs such as windows, adobe written in C++?
    Is C++ used in Robotic programming?

    Thanks,

    Jamshaid

    Jamshaid, Aug 26, 2004
  13. maurizio

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Jamshaid" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody !
    > I am a VB programmer and new to C++. Recently i bought the book "C++
    > How To Program 4e" from Deitel.

    IMO that's a pretty good book (not the 'best', but fair).

    > Can anyone recommend a good C++
    > compiler, Is Visual c++.net ok?

    For a Windows platform, sure.

    > I want to program in Linux too in the
    > future so do I have to use another compiler for that?

    Yes, or a 'cross compiler' (i.e. it runs on platform 'A'
    but builds an executable for platform 'B').

    > One more thing, I was visiting Bjarne Stroustrup's site and was
    > surprised to read the applications page,
    >
    > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html
    >
    > Is it true that even softs such as windows, adobe written in C++?

    I don't know, but I would not be at all surprised if some or
    all of those are in C++. (I'm pretty sure Windows was originally
    mostly in C (and assembly), but perhaps they've been migrating
    code to C++.

    > Is C++ used in Robotic programming?

    I don't see why it couldn't be.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 26, 2004
  14. maurizio

    George Huber Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:29:19 -0700, Jamshaid wrote:

    > Hello everybody !
    > I am a VB programmer and new to C++. Recently i bought the book "C++
    > How To Program 4e" from Deitel. Can anyone recommend a good C++
    > compiler, Is Visual c++.net ok? I want to program in Linux too in the
    > future so do I have to use another compiler for that?

    For windows, take a look at MinGW - this is a native port of gcc to
    windows. It is free, good compliance with the standard and if (when) you
    migrate to Linux, most probably you will be using gcc on there as well.

    > One more thing, I was visiting Bjarne Stroustrup's site and was
    > surprised to read the applications page,
    >
    > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html
    >
    > Is it true that even softs such as windows, adobe written in C++?
    > Is C++ used in Robotic programming?

    As I recall, Windows was originally written in C with small parts
    (notably those parts that directly touched hardware) in assembly.
    Microsoft may be moving its code-base to C++. However, I do believe that
    most of Microsoft office software is still predominately C based - not
    that it matters.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jamshaid

    George