new to flash, need help with html - not very good with html

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mark, May 6, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi all,

    This is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to load a flash movie
    transparently over my existing html page (not covering the full
    screen, but 75% of it), so it is kind of similar to a "splash screen"
    in the respect it is to be an introductory screen.

    I already have a flash movie made (although for some reason
    WMODE=TRANSPARENT isn't working), but we'll get to that in a sec. I
    also already have all the html for the playing the movie and
    displaying my page. The html to display the page is made up of a
    bunch of table rows within a <DIV> tag.

    During onLoad of the <body> element, I call a javascript method to
    actually play the flash. The flash does play, but what happens is
    that instead of playing on top of the existing page, it plays at the
    top of the page and if you scroll down, there is the rest of the html
    page (the tables and stuff). I dont want it at the top, but to
    actually overlay the tables until it finishes playing, then to go away
    automatically.

    I'm struggling with the html part of this. I know browsers render
    from top to bottom, but I dont know how to display over the existing
    stuff.

    I toyed with the idea of making the flash into a popup in a new window
    (window.open), but to make it look right, I'd have to make it a
    transparent window, borderless, etc... and I'm not sure thats the
    right way to do it either.

    HELP ! Any ideas would be most appreciated...

    Mark

    Mark, May 6, 2004

  2. Mark

    Ron Guest

    Mark wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >This is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to load a flash movie
    >transparently over my existing html page (not covering the full
    >screen, but 75% of it), so it is kind of similar to a "splash screen"
    >in the respect it is to be an introductory screen.
    >
    >I already have a flash movie made (although for some reason
    >WMODE=TRANSPARENT isn't working), but we'll get to that in a sec. I
    >also already have all the html for the playing the movie and
    >displaying my page. The html to display the page is made up of a
    >bunch of table rows within a <DIV> tag.
    >
    >During onLoad of the <body> element, I call a javascript method to
    >actually play the flash. The flash does play, but what happens is
    >that instead of playing on top of the existing page, it plays at the
    >top of the page and if you scroll down, there is the rest of the html
    >page (the tables and stuff). I dont want it at the top, but to
    >actually overlay the tables until it finishes playing, then to go away
    >automatically.
    >
    >I'm struggling with the html part of this. I know browsers render
    >from top to bottom, but I dont know how to display over the existing
    >stuff.
    >
    >I toyed with the idea of making the flash into a popup in a new window
    >(window.open), but to make it look right, I'd have to make it a
    >transparent window, borderless, etc... and I'm not sure thats the
    >right way to do it either.
    >
    >HELP ! Any ideas would be most appreciated...
    >
    >Mark

    Heya Mark,
    You'll want to use a stylesheet to position your flash over the table
    (in z-axis). In the head of your page, add the following element:

    #my-flash {
    position:absolute;
    z-index:1;
    }

    #my-table {
    z-index:0;
    }

    Then give your flash container an id="my-flash" attribute and your table
    an id="my-table" attribute. Learn more about cascading stylesheets at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21 . You may want to use left, right, top,
    bottom, margin-left, margin-right, margin-top, or margin-bottom to
    further position your two elements.

    Ron, May 6, 2004

  3. [OT] Re: new to flash, need help with html - not very good with html

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:25:09 GMT, Ron <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Learn more about cascading stylesheets at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21 .

    If you have CSS questions, direct them to

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter