New to J2EE - Unable to understand PetStore ?

Nitin Goyal

Hi friends

I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
go through it is not given.

I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
particular fashion.

Thanks in advance
Nitin Goyal

Job Numbers

Nitin Goyal said:
Hi friends

I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
go through it is not given.

I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
particular fashion.

Thanks in advance
Nitin Goyal

err.. don't learn ejb. It's just dumb. Learn good frameworks and tools
like spring and hibernate. If you really, really need ejb, then learn it.
Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Bryce

Hi friends

I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
go through it is not given.

I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
particular fashion.

Keep in mind the Java PetStore is more a demonstration example. It
tries to use all J2EE technologies, as opposed to what is best.

Given that, I believe the J2EE Tutorial on the Sun Java site walks you
through pretty good...

Sam

Bryce said:
Keep in mind the Java PetStore is more a demonstration example. It
tries to use all J2EE technologies, as opposed to what is best.

Given that, I believe the J2EE Tutorial on the Sun Java site walks you
through pretty good...

Java Petstore is somewhat over-engineered. It's not a good example for
begginers, maybe not for anyone. I would highly recommend reading Core
Java J2EE Patterns by Dan Malks, Deepak Alur, and John Crupi. It will
give you an overview and a much better idea about what's going on than
just trying to analyze the code without any preparation.

While not necessarily an EJB book, I would also recommend Mark Geary's
book on JSP tags. It really elucidates well on the MVC pattern and
makes very clear what a lot of enterprise apps, including PetStore,
are trying to do. It also acts as an great overview of Struts.

Mark Cade's certification guide for Enterprise Architects is a nice,
short superb summary of what EJB is all about. I'd maybe start with
that.

Good luck,
Sam90