    particular fashion.

    Thanks in advance
    Nitin Goyal

    Nitin Goyal, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Nitin Goyal

    Job Numbers Guest

    "Nitin Goyal" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi friends
    >
    > I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
    > a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
    > each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
    > there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
    > in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
    > go through it is not given.
    >
    > I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
    > the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
    > particular fashion.
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    > Nitin Goyal

    err.. don't learn ejb. It's just dumb. Learn good frameworks and tools
    like spring and hibernate. If you really, really need ejb, then learn it.
    Otherwise, don't waste your time.

    Job Numbers, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Nitin Goyal

    Bryce Guest

    On 19 Jun 2004 02:55:48 -0700, (Nitin Goyal)
    wrote:

    >Hi friends
    >
    >I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
    >a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
    >each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
    >there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
    >in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
    >go through it is not given.
    >
    > I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
    >the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
    >particular fashion.

    Keep in mind the Java PetStore is more a demonstration example. It
    tries to use all J2EE technologies, as opposed to what is best.

    Given that, I believe the J2EE Tutorial on the Sun Java site walks you
    through pretty good...

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Nitin Goyal

    Sam Guest

    Bryce <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 19 Jun 2004 02:55:48 -0700, (Nitin Goyal)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi friends
    > >
    > >I know Java and I want to learn J2EE. Someone told me Java PetStore is
    > >a good start but I am unable to understand how things are related to
    > >each other for e.g. why and when we make an ear or war file? I think
    > >there is a lot of stress on deployment rather than developement. Also
    > >in doumentation, using Petstore is explained but how a beginner should
    > >go through it is not given.
    > >
    > > I would like any paper / documentation / tutorial which can tell me
    > >the basics of this J2EE application and WHY things are done in this
    > >particular fashion.

    > Keep in mind the Java PetStore is more a demonstration example. It
    > tries to use all J2EE technologies, as opposed to what is best.
    >
    > Given that, I believe the J2EE Tutorial on the Sun Java site walks you
    > through pretty good...

    Java Petstore is somewhat over-engineered. It's not a good example for
    begginers, maybe not for anyone. I would highly recommend reading Core
    Java J2EE Patterns by Dan Malks, Deepak Alur, and John Crupi. It will
    give you an overview and a much better idea about what's going on than
    just trying to analyze the code without any preparation.

    While not necessarily an EJB book, I would also recommend Mark Geary's
    book on JSP tags. It really elucidates well on the MVC pattern and
    makes very clear what a lot of enterprise apps, including PetStore,
    are trying to do. It also acts as an great overview of Struts.

    Mark Cade's certification guide for Enterprise Architects is a nice,
    short superb summary of what EJB is all about. I'd maybe start with
    that.

    Good luck,
    Sam90

    Sam, Jun 21, 2004