New to Java (a C++ migrant) want to quickly get on to language

Amol

Hi, I'm new to Java programming and I've 2-3 years of C++ programming
exp. I want list of good books that will help me to quickly get on to
the language. I don't want to waste my time in learning for loop or
even inheritance or polymorphism.

Andrew Thompson

Amol said:
Hi, I'm new to Java programming and I've 2-3 years of C++ programming
exp. I want list of good books that will help me to quickly get on to
the language. I don't want to waste my time in learning for loop or
even inheritance or polymorphism.

For books, you might check some of the ones listed here..
<http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>

Note that if you can lay your hands on a book that
highlights the *differences* between Java & C++,
the 'gotchas' for those changing between them,
it will save you a lot of trouble.

There are occasional questions that come up
around here where the question is 'so stupid'
that it could only come from someone under
the misapprehension that Java is another language.

Note also that Sun themselves provide good
documentation on Java in the form of the
Java Tutorial (which allows you to skip any
basics you want, and get into particular areas
of interest) and the JavaDocs (the description
of the classes and methods of each Java version).

Both are browsable on-line, or can be downloaded.

HTH

Andrew T.

Thomas Fritsch

Amol said:
Hi, I'm new to Java programming and I've 2-3 years of C++ programming
exp. I want list of good books that will help me to quickly get on to
the language.
I don't want to waste my time in learning for loop or
even inheritance or polymorphism.
But be alarmed, that there are some subtle differences even in that area
(inheritance and polymorphism). They may confuse especially the experienced
C++ migrant:
(1) All non-static Java-methods (except the private ones) are virtual.
(2) Java classes can't extend multiple super-classes. But that is no
harm, because they can implement multiple interfaces (see 3).
(3) Java has 'interfaces' (roughly like C++ classes with nothing
but pure virtual methods)

Patricia Shanahan

Andrew said:
For books, you might check some of the ones listed here..
<http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>

Note that if you can lay your hands on a book that
highlights the *differences* between Java & C++,
the 'gotchas' for those changing between them,
it will save you a lot of trouble.

Your mileage may vary. I came to Java having programmed in many
languages, including a few years of C++.

At various points I've tried "conversion" books, and they don't really
work for me. They tend to leave me thinking in language A and
translating to language B, when I really want to think fluently in B.

I do better buying a book intended for beginners that is completely
focused on the language I'm trying to learn. I tend to get through those
books rather quickly, because I can read many sections quite fast and do
the exercises far quicker than a real beginner would.

Patricia

Andrew Thompson

Patricia said:
Andrew Thompson wrote: .... ...
Your mileage may vary. .. ....
At various points I've tried "conversion" books, and they don't really
work for me. They tend to leave me thinking in language A and
translating to language B, when I really want to think fluently in B.

Interesting point. I have never tried 'A for B' books,
as my major conversion was from COBOL to Java,
and there were no books for such an (unlikely)
conversion. I suppose the thing there would have
been more 'OO thinking for procedural programmers',
in any case.

Andrew T.