New to Java couple ?'s

Martman

Don't know if this is the correct newsgroup to post this, if not
please let me know. I am currently a microsoft
web developer but wanting to change my focus and go the Java route.
However, with no Java experience or knowledge
I have a bit of confusion. Especially since the choice for editors I
have had to use were slim (Microsoft).

I have researched google about Netbeans vs Eclipse vs .....but I
simply don't know what some of the terminology is
such as SWT, SWING, etc..

Can someone provide me with a link or a little overview of what these
technologies are. I want to really focus on
Java but I don't want to go a route that no one uses. Keep in mind
that I will be focusing on Java to make a career
out of programming in it so the most popular market path is what I
desire.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if this is not the correct
group and a suggestion as to where I should post this.

Marty U

Adam

I have researched google about Netbeans vs Eclipse vs .....but I
simply don't know what some of the terminology is
such as SWT, SWING, etc..

Thanks in advance and please let me know if this is not the correct
group and a suggestion as to where I should post this.

My suggestions:
go to comp.lang.java.help (and its FAQs, archieves) for basic info (like
'what's Swing');
go to java.sun.com and look through tutorials (you probably won't spend too
much time on those basic ones, as you are a programmer);
buy some decent book (sth like 'Java for C++ programmers');
and then, after you know how it all works, and you can compile and
run java apps from the command line - learn the IDE (NB ro Eclipse or ..)

That's my opinion.

ADam

Chris Smith

Martman said:
I have researched google about Netbeans vs Eclipse vs .....but I
simply don't know what some of the terminology is
such as SWT, SWING, etc..

SWT and Swing are two of the technologies that you can use to develop
GUI applications in Java. The primary difference is that while Swing is
a standard part of the Java library, SWT is an add-on package developed
by the Eclipse project,and requires additional native libraries for the
target platform. Some people like SWT better because it uses native
operating system controls and (so I gather from others' comments) looks
a little better from a performance standpoint than the Swing library.
Can someone provide me with a link or a little overview of what these
technologies are. I want to really focus on
Java but I don't want to go a route that no one uses.

There's not a lot of Java GUI development out there in the first place.
Out of what does exist, I'm guessing that the majority of it uses the
AWT controls because it's targeted toward old browsers that can't do the
more full-fledged GUI toolkits; Swing probably comes in second, and SWT
in third.

That's if you want to do GUI development. You said you're a web
developer, though... there's a lot more Java development in web
applications than in client-side GUI apps, and you'll use neither Swing
nor SWT to accomplish this.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation