    knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
    programming. Any suggestions?

    CR
    CR, Nov 11, 2005

  2. CR wrote:
    > I want to write a language learning game for my children? I have the
    > knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
    > programming. Any suggestions?

    Stay away from C++.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 11, 2005

  3. CR

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    I suggest Python:

    www.python.org

    --
    Cy
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    Cy Edmunds, Nov 11, 2005
  4. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > CR wrote:
    >> I want to write a language learning game for my children? I have the
    >> knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
    >> programming. Any suggestions?

    > Stay away from C++.

    That is a good, genuine (and fun) piece of advice! :eek:)

    But seriously, CR, stay away from C++.

    I am becoming very fond of C#, which is - in my opinion - an incredible
    compromise between the pragmatic world of C++ and the pretty and more ideal
    world of Java. However I guess you need to know at least some intermediate
    stuff to be able to gain from the productivity enhancing features of C#.

    But still, if you have never written a piece of code before, and you want to
    make a game as your first project, I don't know which language (if any)
    would be better.

    Visual Basic perhaps?

    Good luck!

    -Mogens
    Mogens Heller Jensen, Nov 11, 2005
  5. CR

    Guest

    I go with that recommendation. If you consider Python you should also
    take a look at http://www.pygame.org
    , Nov 11, 2005
  6. CR

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <4374e973$0$11696$>,
    Mogens Heller Jensen <> wrote:
    >"Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    >> CR wrote:
    >>> I want to write a language learning game for my children? I have the
    >>> knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
    >>> programming. Any suggestions?

    >> Stay away from C++.

    >That is a good, genuine (and fun) piece of advice! :eek:)
    >
    >But seriously, CR, stay away from C++.
    >
    >I am becoming very fond of C#, which is - in my opinion - an incredible
    >compromise between the pragmatic world of C++ and the pretty and more ideal
    >world of Java. However I guess you need to know at least some intermediate
    >stuff to be able to gain from the productivity enhancing features of C#.
    >
    >But still, if you have never written a piece of code before, and you want to
    >make a game as your first project, I don't know which language (if any)
    >would be better.
    >
    >Visual Basic perhaps?

    There seems to be (at least) two issues on the table here:
    learning programming and games programming, and to boot,
    both at the same time. Neither when full blown is easy.
    And an "easier language" in and of itself is not a solution IMO.

    Lots of games are written in C++, though I wouldn't imagine CR
    is trying to write a commercial quality game. So I think CR
    like any new programmer, C++ or otherwise, needs to get some
    good books, some specific to the language of choice (see
    http://www.comeaucomputing.com/booklist ), some general,
    some specific to the niche of interest. That would be "one"
    thing at least.
    --
    Greg Comeau / Celebrating 20 years of Comeauity!
    Greg Comeau, Nov 11, 2005