New to Progamming -- What language to learn?

CR

I want to write a language learning game for my children? I have the
knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
programming. Any suggestions?

CR

Victor Bazarov

CR said:
I want to write a language learning game for my children? I have the
knowledge of what to put in the game but I don't know where to begin
programming. Any suggestions?

Stay away from C++.

Mogens Heller Jensen

Victor Bazarov said:
Stay away from C++.

That is a good, genuine (and fun) piece of advice! :eek:)

But seriously, CR, stay away from C++.

I am becoming very fond of C#, which is - in my opinion - an incredible
compromise between the pragmatic world of C++ and the pretty and more ideal
world of Java. However I guess you need to know at least some intermediate
stuff to be able to gain from the productivity enhancing features of C#.

But still, if you have never written a piece of code before, and you want to
make a game as your first project, I don't know which language (if any)
would be better.

Visual Basic perhaps?

Good luck!

-Mogens

Greg Comeau

That is a good, genuine (and fun) piece of advice! :eek:)

But seriously, CR, stay away from C++.

I am becoming very fond of C#, which is - in my opinion - an incredible
compromise between the pragmatic world of C++ and the pretty and more ideal
world of Java. However I guess you need to know at least some intermediate
stuff to be able to gain from the productivity enhancing features of C#.

But still, if you have never written a piece of code before, and you want to
make a game as your first project, I don't know which language (if any)
would be better.

Visual Basic perhaps?

There seems to be (at least) two issues on the table here:
learning programming and games programming, and to boot,
both at the same time. Neither when full blown is easy.
And an "easier language" in and of itself is not a solution IMO.

Lots of games are written in C++, though I wouldn't imagine CR
is trying to write a commercial quality game. So I think CR
like any new programmer, C++ or otherwise, needs to get some
good books, some specific to the language of choice (see
http://www.comeaucomputing.com/booklist ), some general,
some specific to the niche of interest. That would be "one"
thing at least.