New to programming AND new to Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Cassandra K., Jan 31, 2011.

  1. Cassandra K.

    Cassandra K. Guest

    Hello. I am trying to teach myself Ruby. I have no background in
    programming, or experience... only interest.

    I have armed myself with Pragmatic Programmers Learn to Program, as well
    as Koans. I am running into walls trying to learn these things myself,
    because I get discouraged when there is no one to turn to when I have
    any questions. I get stuck; I wander off. This is no good. Obviously
    there is slow progression, when any.

    The issue, then, is where do I turn when I have these (obviously simple)
    questions? It seems both embarrassing and unnecessary to post on such a
    place as this, for simple issues in learning (for example, getting stuck
    on ruby koans).

    Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I try to dig up a "Ruby mentor",
    so to speak? And how would one go about doing something like that?

    -Cassandra

    Cassandra K., Jan 31, 2011

    Would a study group of others working through the same book help.

    After many years absence from the IT world I am currently trying to
    kickstart my brain again by studying various subjects and am currently
    working through the Prag Prog Learn to Program book myself.

    Any others out there doing the same thing??/

    kev

    Kevin Ridgeon, Jan 31, 2011

  3. Cassandra K.

    Cassandra K. Guest

    A study group sounds kind of cool. I'd be interested in that. I think
    I'll be pretty far behind, though, as I have no prior knowledge of any
    sort of programming. I'm willing to give it my best, though.

    Cassandra K., Jan 31, 2011
  4. Cassandra K.

    Josh Cheek Guest

    On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Cassandra K. <> wrote:

    > Hello. I am trying to teach myself Ruby. I have no background in
    > programming, or experience... only interest.
    >
    > I have armed myself with Pragmatic Programmers Learn to Program, as well
    > as Koans. I am running into walls trying to learn these things myself,
    > because I get discouraged when there is no one to turn to when I have
    > any questions. I get stuck; I wander off. This is no good. Obviously
    > there is slow progression, when any.
    >
    > The issue, then, is where do I turn when I have these (obviously simple)
    > questions? It seems both embarrassing and unnecessary to post on such a
    > place as this, for simple issues in learning (for example, getting stuck
    > on ruby koans).
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion? Should I try to dig up a "Ruby mentor",
    > so to speak? And how would one go about doing something like that?
    >
    > -Cassandra

    For questions about how Ruby methods work, keep the docs handy
    http://ruby-doc.org/core/ and an IRB session open that you can try out what
    you read see what you think.

    If that doesn't solve your question, or if your question isn't about how
    some method / class works, then I recommend the IRC channel irc://
    irc.freenode.net/ruby-lang
    If you're on a Mac, you can use Colloquy to get on IRC
    http://colloquy.info/I don't know what's best for other OS's, sorry
    (though I just tried
    http://webchat.freenode.net/ and it worked for me, in my Firefox browser).

    Josh Cheek, Jan 31, 2011
  5. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Lets have a think about the best way to do this and what we want from it
    while waiting to see if there is any interest from others.

    Kevin Ridgeon, Jan 31, 2011
  6. On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Cassandra K. wrote:

    > Hello. I am trying to teach myself Ruby. I have no background in
    > programming, or experience... only interest.

    Good on you for learning new things. We all need to do more of that. =
    Welcome.

    > I have armed myself with Pragmatic Programmers Learn to Program, as =

    well
    > as Koans. I am running into walls trying to learn these things =

    myself,
    > because I get discouraged when there is no one to turn to when I have
    > any questions. I get stuck; I wander off. This is no good. =

    Obviously
    > there is slow progression, when any.

    My first suggestion is not to feel bad. It's a lot to learn and it can =
    be pretty counter intuitive at times.

    We all had those moments when we were learning to program. I definitely =
    doubted if I could ever do it at times.

    It other words, everything you are experiencing is totally normal.

    > The issue, then, is where do I turn when I have these (obviously =

    simple)
    > questions? It seems both embarrassing and unnecessary to post on such =

    > place as this, for simple issues in learning (for example, getting =

    stuck
    > on ruby koans).

    Don't be afraid to ask things here. Very few of us bite. Most of us =
    try to be patient and polite. If you aim for the same, I bet you'll be =
    surprised at how we can get you over the humps. We enjoy helping.

    > Should I try to dig up a "Ruby mentor", so to speak? And how would =

    one go about doing something like that?

    A mentor and/or study group sound like great ideas to me. Why suffer =
    alone when you can suffer with others? :) Mentors can be a great =
    resource for helping you learn to think like a computer.

    You might have a look at Ruby Mendicant University:

    http://university.rubymendicant.com/

    I believe it aims to help people in your position.

    Don't give up! Knowing you need help is a great sign!

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jan 31, 2011
  7. Cassandra K.

    Chris Hulan Guest

    You should check out the Railsbridge community (http://
    railsbridge.org/)
    As the name indicates it is Rails focused, however they have a lot of
    resources and support
    for those new to Ruby, and even new to programming, including
    mentoring

    Cheers

    Chris Hulan, Jan 31, 2011
  8. On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Cassandra K. <> wrote=
    :
    > Hello. =A0I am trying to teach myself Ruby. =A0I have no background in
    > programming, or experience... only interest.

    Check out http://rubylearning.org/class/

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Jan 31, 2011
  9. Cassandra K.

    Abhijit Guest

    Hey James,
    I can help you with installation of Ruby. So just let me know
    what problems you are having in downloading/installation of Ruby.

    Thanks,
    Abhijit

    --
    A transistor protected by a fast acting fuse, will protect the fuse by
    blowing first.

    On 3 February 2011 11:33, James Nathan <> wrote:
    > Kevin,
    > I have no Programming or Ruby Skills and I think if a study group is form=

    ed I would to sign up for the help. I am having a hard time getting=A0 ruby=
    to download and working.

    ,

    ,

    Abhijit, Feb 3, 2011
  10. Cassandra K.

    Dan Lewis Guest

    posting simple questions on here shouldn't embarrass you, i do it all
    the time. im 14, i did some c++ then tryed out java and then my friend
    told me about ruby and here i am. the best thing about this forum is
    that no one says oh you noob or your sooooo stupid. they give you a
    honest answer and quite fast!

    regards

    -Dan-

    Dan Lewis, Feb 4, 2011
  11. be quiet noob (lol)

    im in the same boat... except im 25 and making the transition to programmin=
    g from web design.

    this is just more fun (and profitable). learn aggressively and it will pay =
    off.

    Clent Crumley
    Webmaster
    Capitol Area Networks