New to Python - Accessing Lotus Notes

Discussion in 'Python' started by KDawg44, Jul 16, 2008.

  1. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    Hi,

    We have a Lotus Notes Database that tracks time spent on projects.
    What I would like to do is develop a Time Tracker in Python that
    communicates with the server. This would pull projects in and allow a
    use to start a timer as he/she works on a given project. The user
    would then be able to commit this back to the database (thus,
    preventing them from having to go to the calendar view and pick the
    project and enter the hours).

    As another potential feature, I would like the user to be able to
    create projects in the app and track time and then when a project
    exists in the database, it would retroactively add those hours (users
    cannot create their own projects and sometimes managers take some time
    to actually get a project in the system). Lasty, the user could run a
    report by date to get their hours on each project.

    Anyway, long story short, how can I communicate with Lotus Notes to
    accomplish these tasks? Lotus Notes 7.

    Thank you for your help. I am very new to Python and am hoping to
    learn a lot from this project so I can incorporate Python into my
    daily tasks. Also, forgive my rant as I figured out some of my specs
    as I typed this.

    Thanks again.

    Kevin
    KDawg44, Jul 16, 2008

  2. On Jul 16, 2:11 pm, KDawg44 <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a Lotus Notes Database that tracks time spent on projects.
    > What I would like to do is develop a Time Tracker in Python that
    > communicates with the server.  This would pull projects in and allow a
    > use to start a timer as he/she works on a given project.  The user
    > would then be able to commit this back to the database (thus,
    > preventing them from having to go to the calendar view and pick the
    > project and enter the hours).
    >
    > As another potential feature, I would like the user to be able to
    > create projects in the app and track time and then when a project
    > exists in the database, it would retroactively add those hours (users
    > cannot create their own projects and sometimes managers take some time
    > to actually get a project in the system).  Lasty, the user could run a
    > report by date to get their hours on each project.
    >
    > Anyway, long story short, how can I communicate with Lotus Notes to
    > accomplish these tasks?  Lotus Notes 7.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.  I am very new to Python and am hoping to
    > learn a lot from this project so I can incorporate Python into my
    > daily tasks.  Also, forgive my rant as I figured out some of my specs
    > as I typed this.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Kevin

    Use Google...it is very cool. Here are some links I found:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-May/323756.html
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t350942-python-and-lotus-notes.html

    HTH

    Mike