new to python and programming at large.

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Gordon, Jan 9, 2013.

  1. John Gordon

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> writes:

    > thanks for ur help I wz able to do it.but I wish to expand it by asking
    > a user to input a number for the sqrt to be calculated it I dd it this
    > way but its not working.

    > from math import sqrt
    > number = raw_input('enter a number:')
    > def number(y):
    > return number(Y)

    You're storing the user input in a variable called 'number', but then
    you define a method also called 'number'. Call them something different.

    Within your method, you probably want to return sqrt(y) instead of calling
    the method from itself.

    The argument to your method is called 'y' in the definition, but you refer
    to it as 'Y' in the return statement. Variable names are case-sensitive.

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears