New to Python, Discussion Groups.

Discussion in 'Python' started by cmoller, May 19, 2008.

  1. cmoller

    cmoller Guest

    Hi,

    I am new to Python and the use of discussion groups. Is there a FAQ
    for basic information so certain questions are not repeated?

    I am NOT an experienced programmer, but have decided to write a data
    logger for sensors sending data via an internal ethernet work to
    machines running OS X (Intel). The program should store data and allow
    real time plotting. It does not need a beautiful GUI, but I may want
    to share the program with others, so it should be somewhat intuitive.
    It looks like I could use Python to access MS Excel, which would
    significantly reduce the effort, but I am not sure if this is
    practical. I am not in a hurry and would approach the problem as a way
    to learn.

    The data I am processing is readily seen via telnet so I know it's
    there.

    Is Python a good choice or should I invest in learning a language well
    known to be best for applications like this? Are there other key
    topics in addition to network programing that I should be focusing on?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    cmoller, May 19, 2008

  2. cmoller

    Mensanator Guest

    On May 18, 7:34�pm, cmoller <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to Python and the use of discussion groups. Is there a FAQ
    > for basic information so certain questions are not repeated?
    >
    > I am NOT an experienced programmer, but have decided to write a data
    > logger for sensors sending data via an internal ethernet work to
    > machines running OS X (Intel). The program should store data and allow
    > real time plotting. It does not need a beautiful GUI, but I may want
    > to share the program with others, so it should be somewhat intuitive.
    > It looks like I could use Python to access MS Excel, which would
    > significantly reduce the effort, but I am not sure if this is
    > practical.

    It ought to be as long as you have the modules to
    interface with Excel and know how to use them.

    Although MS-Access might be a better choice than Excel
    as both products have the same graphing capabilities
    but Access might be a better choice for capturing data.

    And Python can easily insert data into Access.

    Mensanator, May 19, 2008

  3. cmoller

    John Nagle Guest

    cmoller wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to Python and the use of discussion groups. Is there a FAQ
    > for basic information so certain questions are not repeated?
    >
    > I am NOT an experienced programmer, but have decided to write a data
    > logger for sensors sending data via an internal ethernet work to
    > machines running OS X (Intel). The program should store data and allow
    > real time plotting. It does not need a beautiful GUI, but I may want
    > to share the program with others, so it should be somewhat intuitive.
    > It looks like I could use Python to access MS Excel, which would
    > significantly reduce the effort, but I am not sure if this is
    > practical. I am not in a hurry and would approach the problem as a way
    > to learn.
    >
    > The data I am processing is readily seen via telnet so I know it's
    > there.
    >
    > Is Python a good choice or should I invest in learning a language well
    > known to be best for applications like this? Are there other key
    > topics in addition to network programing that I should be focusing on?

    This is certainly feasible, but you might find it faster to just buy
    and use National Instruments LabView.

    I've done data logging from sensors over Ethernet, but used
    QNX/Photon, which is useful if you want to do hard real-time
    control, but overkill otherwise.

    You can certainly interface to sensors with Ethernet interfaces
    from Python. The difficulty of doing this depends on how well designed
    the sensor output format is. Some are awful. Be aware of the need
    for timeouts and the problems of dealing with devices which may be
    turned off and on or which may not send when wanted.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, May 19, 2008
  4. cmoller

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On May 19, 1:34 am, cmoller <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to Python and the use of discussion groups. Is there a FAQ
    > for basic information so certain questions are not repeated?
    >
    > I am NOT an experienced programmer, but have decided to write a data
    > logger for sensors sending data via an internal ethernet work to
    > machines running OS X (Intel). The program should store data and allow
    > real time plotting. It does not need a beautiful GUI, but I may want
    > to share the program with others, so it should be somewhat intuitive.
    > It looks like I could use Python to access MS Excel, which would
    > significantly reduce the effort, but I am not sure if this is
    > practical. I am not in a hurry and would approach the problem as a way
    > to learn.

    You could also use Resolver One, a spreadsheet program that lets you
    put Python code inside your spreadsheets (effectively providing a
    'spreadsheet-like' front end to the code you write).

    http://www.resolversystems.com/
    http://www.resolverhacks.net/

    All the best,

    Michael Foord