new to python - looking for a good book

Discussion in 'Python' started by jodocus, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. jodocus

    jodocus Guest

    hi,

    I am new to python (but not to programming - have programmed in many
    other languages like C++/lisp/perl etc.) and I would like to buy a good
    book. The local bookstore has no books about Python, so I cannot look
    into a book and see whether I like it. That is why I turned to this
    newsgroup for advise.

    I would like a book with a very complete and correct description of the
    language and the built-in features, and things like how to integrate
    programs with C or C++. I am not looking for a beginner's handbook with
    all kinds of simple examples (since I already know how to program), but
    rather a good formal description of all the features of the language
    (with a good structure and index, so I can use it as a reference).

    I already saw one book at an on-line bookstore that is probably good:
    "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz from O'reilly

    Would you advise me to order this one or are there other books I should
    know about?

    TIA,

    R.

    jodocus, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Python in a nutshell is awesome. Has everything you said you
    are looking for. Maybe you can't learn python from it though, so
    add the tutorial too ;)

    CHeers

    "

    Ronald Legere, Jun 30, 2003

  3. "jodocus" <> wrote in message news:bdpm5v$g3d$...

    > I would like a book with a very complete and correct description of the
    > language and the built-in features, and things like how to integrate
    > programs with C or C++.

    If you are looking for a reference work, and only are going to buy one
    book, I think most would recommend either 'Python in a Nutshell'
    or the Python Essential Reference.

    > I already saw one book at an on-line bookstore that is probably good:
    > "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz from O'reilly

    I don't think that meets your description as well as the ones I've suggested.
    See the Python web site for further information:
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonBooks

    Richard Brodie, Jun 30, 2003
  4. In article <bdpn36$h1u$01$-online.com>,
    Achim Domma <> wrote:
    >"jodocus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I am new to python (but not to programming - have programmed in many
    >> other languages like C++/lisp/perl etc.) and I would like to buy a good
    >> book.

    >If you are a programmer you should get started very quickly with the
    >tutorials from the web. The I would suggest, that you look a 'Python in a
    >Nutshell' and 'Python Cookbook', both by Alex Martelli. The first one is a
    >complete reference, the second shows how to think in Python.

    .
    .
    .
    gives the same message, at more length.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Jun 30, 2003
  5. > [Ronald Legere <>]
    > Python in a nutshell is awesome. Has everything you said you
    > are looking for. Maybe you can't learn python from it though, so
    > add the tutorial too ;)

    It has not everything. And it is a little *boring*, to my opinion.
    Not enough fun examples. The Python Standard Library by Fredrik Lundh
    is much better in many ways. And with regard to the Original Poster,
    especially it has not:

    >> [jodocus]
    >> ...a good formal description...

    But, now that is smelly, asking for a *formal* description. Do you
    really mean a theoretical computer science description? Then the only
    thing is the source code of Python itself for you. Because,
    unfortunately, the Python language still has no formal semantics. And
    even more unfortunately I think it will never have, because we are
    seeing more and more "new" syntax for things that could be done
    already in earlier Python versions.

    --
    By now we all know that programming is as hard or as easy as proving,
    and that if programming a procedure corresponds to proving a theorem,

    Will Stuyvesant, Jun 30, 2003
  6. jodocus

    Van Gale Guest

    Peter Ballard wrote:
    > Why should I buy any of these books when I've got the (free) official
    > Python documentation downloaded, and always just a click or two away?

    Well speaking for myself, I like to read different viewpoints and learn
    insights that different authors are able to express. The official docs
    are great, but are purely reference. The Nutshell book goes beyond
    simple reference and provides some great insights and covers some areas
    outside of stock python (like DBAPI 2.0). Lundh's "Python Standard
    Library" goes beyond the official library docs by providing useful
    example code for most library modules.

    Van

    Van Gale, Jul 1, 2003
  7. (Peter Ballard) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Every time a thread like this comes up I wonder the same thing, so
    > this time I'll ask...
    >
    > Why should I buy any of these books when I've got the (free) official
    > Python documentation downloaded, and always just a click or two away?

    The good thing about Python is that you DON'T need a book to learn it.
    The standard documentation (together with the more friendly newsgroup
    of Usenet) is more than enough. I printed the standard documentation,
    posted few questions here and learned Python; nevertheless, now I am
    moving
    and a reference book is much more portable that a thousand sheets of
    documentation (and nicer to read too), therefore I bought "Python in a
    Nutshell". I like very much the O'Reilly graphics, too. The price is
    reasonable, therefore why not to buy it? And it also provides the
    better
    documentation for Numerics and other modules which are not in core
    Python ...

    P.S. if the original poster is looking for a formal definition of the
    language, he should look at the language reference
    http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/ref.html

    Michele

    Michele Simionato, Jul 1, 2003
  8. jodocus

    Martin Maney Guest

    Peter Ballard <> wrote:
    > Why should I buy any of these books when I've got the (free) official
    > Python documentation downloaded, and always just a click or two away?

    Because some of them - the Cookbook comes forcefully to mind for me -
    cover material that the regular docs don't touch on; the difference
    between what the language allows and how best to use those facilities.
    Others, even the so-called "Bible" which I found wanting in its
    thoroughness of coverage, can illuminate the features and libraries
    with well-crafted small examples that are rarely present in the more
    reference-like documentation. And even books that are not at first
    glance much more than a printed version of the online docs (although
    _Essential Reference_ always seemed more useful to me, especially back
    when I was working with its first edition and Python 1.5) have some
    portability and usability advantages if one is not attached to his
    computer at the waist. :)

    At least those are the sorts of reasons that come to my mind.

    --
    We reject kings, presidents, and voting.
    We believe in rough consensus

    Martin Maney, Jul 2, 2003