new to python, looking for streams clues

Thierry

Hello peoples,

As I said, I'm new to python, and particularly to XML generation in
python.
Using the 4suite XML package, I have been able to produce XML, but
only directly to STDOUT.

Refering to the 4suite markupWriter refrence, the class needs a stream
to output the generated XML, and if none is specified, it's the STDOUT
stream that is used.

What I would like, would be to store the generated XML into a python
object which implement the stream interface to be able to transform it
via XSLT if needed (it's in a web based project).

But, I've read the python doc for the last 12 hours without finding
anything about an existing object that implements that interface.
Am I missing something, or should I really create that object myself ?

I mean, I just need something that I can write into and read
thereafter.
It should already exists, no ?

Diez B. Roggisch

Thierry said:
[...]

See the modules StringIO and cStringIO - which are mentioned on

http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html

with the words:

4.5 StringIO -- Read and write strings as files

HTH,

Diez

Bruno Desthuilliers

Thierry a écrit :
[...]

It does, it's named StringIO (or cStringIO for the faster C
implementation), and it's part of the standard lib. AFAICT, it should
fit your needs.

Thierry

Thierry a écrit :

It does, it's named StringIO (or cStringIO for the faster C
implementation), and it's part of the standard lib. AFAICT, it should
fit your needs.

Thanks everyone.

I had seen it, but understood that you had to give it an already
existing string to operate on that one.
I feel a bit stupid. Time to get back to those lost sleep hours, I
presume.

But again, thanks everyone.