New to python, open source Mac OS X IDE?

joseph.a.marlin

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Thanks!

Philip Semanchuk

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Some people do; I don't.

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

I don't like single-use environments; I work frequently in Python, C,
SQL, HTML, etc. and I prefer a general programmer's editor rather than
switching applications based on which language I'm using. For that
reason I can't give you any advice on Python-specific environments. My
favorite open source editor on OS X that groks Python is jEdit. I,
however, use the non-open source TextMate. It's very programmable and
has a lot of user-contributed goodies. The community around it has
somewhat of an open source ethic even if the main application is not.

You could also use XCode which isn't open source, but it is free.

HTH and welcome to Python

Ned Deily

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Well, there's IDLE that comes packaged with most Python distributions
(today must be IDLE day). It may not be on your default path, though.
If you are using the python Apple includes with OS X 10.5, you should be
able to launch it from a terminal shell with:

/usr/bin/python/../idle

There is also a separate discussion group for Python on Macs:

<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.apple>

Joe Strout

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

I don't -- I just use TextWrangler and a Terminal window. I tried
several IDEs and didn't really find any of them stable and feature-rich
enough to be worth the bother (though Editra came close).

Lack of a really top-notch IDE is one of the primary drags harshing on
my Python buzz (as the young people say).

Best,
- Joe

André

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

If you already use netbeans, what about http://www.netbeans.org/features/python/
?
Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

I like Komodo Edit (which has many IDE like features). In fact, I
like it so much that I decided to buy the Komodo IDE - the only non-
free software I use.

André

James Stroud

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Thanks!

Try open komodo. I haven't used it because vim is my IDE, but it looks
pretty good.

James

Philip Semanchuk

Try open komodo. I haven't used it because vim is my IDE, but it
looks pretty good.

I second that; I had used it for a while but had forgotten about it.

Burukena

Try open komodo. I haven't used it because vim is my IDE, but it looks
pretty good.

James
Vim and a terminal works for me, specifically with screen. Second
choice would be TextMate but I have not used it in quite a while.

Kevin Walzer

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Thanks!

I use IDLE + Terminal myself. IDLE has improved a lot on the Mac in
recent years.

Another good tool is Aquamacs, a Mac-optimized version of Emacs:
http://aquamacs.org

Pierre-Alain Dorange

Greetings! I've heard enough raving about Python, I'm going to see for
myself what all the praise is for!

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

I'm new to python, i began with IDLE, but then switch to
TextWrangler+Terminal i prefer.

Now i also try XCode (not opensource, but free from Apple) just as a
text editor and still terminal, fine. Xcode editor is good for me.

I try to use Python directly from Xcode but i do not understand the
right way to do this. There is project for PyObjC but a can't make
working directly simple script project, so i continue to use terminal...

Aleksandar Radulovic

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

I'm on a Mac, too. I don't use a full-fledged IDE for Python
development, nor I think it's
necessary.
Any recommendations on open source Python environments?

Komodo Edit looks very professional and very usable. Other
alternatives are PyDev w/ Eclipse,
but I opted for TextMate - it has excellent features. I highly
recommend spending ~$50 on it,
it's money well spent.

Wolfgang Keller

I'm on a Mac. I use Netbeans for Java, PHP, and C if needed. Do you
even use an IDE for Python?

WingIDE

Not open source, but by far the best that I've tried.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

David Lyon

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that we have started a new python
project on sourceforge.

Python Package Manager
pythonpkgmgr.sourceforge.net

The goal is to provide a cross platform GUI tool that will
vastly simplify loading and installing packages under python.

- written in python
- use WXWidgets for cross compatability
- utilises distutils
- provide a GUI wrapper for EasyInstall and pip
- fetches packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi
using their XML-RPC interface.

Feel free to apply to join the project and help us build the solution that
we all need and deserve.

Regards David Lyon

James Mills

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that we have started a new python
project on sourceforge.

Python Package Manager
pythonpkgmgr.sourceforge.net

The goal is to provide a cross platform GUI tool that will
vastly simplify loading and installing packages under python.

- written in python
- use WXWidgets for cross compatability
- utilises distutils
- provide a GUI wrapper for EasyInstall and pip
- fetches packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi
using their XML-RPC interface.

Feel free to apply to join the project and help us build the solution that
we all need and deserve.

Regards David Lyon

What's wrong with Enstaller from Enthought ?

Can I make a few suggestions ?

To be truly cross platform, consider
using the Tcl/Tk toolkit rather tahn
wxWindows. Why ? Because Tcl/TK
is packaged and provided along with
most Python distributions.

Also, to reduce the amount of work
you as developers need to do and to
aid in the "code reuse" philosophy,
I would not simply have wrappers around
easy_install and pip, I would integrate
as best as you can into these libraries
without trying to add or rewrite too much.

Also, consider integrating with yolk
as well, as it provides some food features
and functionality that easy_install and pip
don't provide.

cheers
James

David Lyon

What's wrong with Enstaller from Enthought ?

for a start....

on https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/Enstaller

it claims to be depracated...
Can I make a few suggestions ?
Sure..

To be truly cross platform, consider
using the Tcl/Tk toolkit rather tahn
wxWindows. Why ? Because Tcl/TK
is packaged and provided along with
most Python distributions.

I agree with your point..

The problem is that Tcl/TK is a functionaly
handicapped and results in a less powerful GUI.

In an installer, it is not so hard to install
the wxWidgets dll (under windows)

But later, I won't mind redoing it in tk if
it becomes too much of a hassle.
I would not simply have wrappers around
easy_install and pip, I would integrate
as best as you can into these libraries
without trying to add or rewrite too much.

Sure... I agree
Also, consider integrating with yolk
as well, as it provides some food features
and functionality that easy_install and pip
don't provide.

Thanks - I will check out your suggestions in
detail.

Take care

David