    programming except for the occasional script or router config. this is
    something that has always interested me, but don't have the time to take
    any formal classes. Thanks for the help.
    Mark, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Mark

    Larry Bates Guest

    Lots of online documentation and tutorials here:

    http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.4/

    If you are working on Windows, "Python Programming
    on Win32" is a great book that has "Windows specific"
    information.

    Monitoring this list and watching for "newbie"
    questions is also beneficial as many will help
    with examples.

    I found Python Bible by Brueck and Tanner to be
    another excellent book (I purchased both books
    at Books a Million).

    HTH,
    Larry Bates
    Syscon, Inc.

    Larry Bates, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Mark

    Neuruss Guest

    I was in the same situation a few months ago. I wanted to learn
    programming with a solid foundation of programming principles (OOP,
    etc) but with a language that could allow me to do it without
    unnecessary complications. Obviously, the choice was Python, so I can
    tell you what worked for me:

    1) Starting from zero:
    I recommend Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python".
    It's a very easy to follow online tutorial that will teach you the
    basics, with exercises and all you need to get started.
    Although it is aimed to begginners, with the lessons learned you will
    have a very good knowledge of python basics and programming in
    general.
    Find it here: honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/
    I recommend taking the time to do the exercises and play a little bit
    after each lesson. They are very easy and simple, but take them
    seriously.

    2) After getting comfortable, you will want to get into the object
    oriented side of programming. It's not hard, but it takes a mental
    shift to begin thinking in objects. I learn best by example, and the
    best one I found is Alan Gauld's online tutorial (there's a book also,
    but the online version was just what I needed to "see the light"). You
    can find it here: http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
    If you swallowed Josh Cogliati's tutorial, you wont find nothing new
    here for the basics, but there's a very good example of a banking
    application that will help you understand the object oriented
    paradigm.
    I think this is a very good example for teaching OOP and it shows you
    in a few lines all you need to know: classes, innheritance, etc..

    After that, any other tutorial or book would be easy to follow.
    I recomend these books:

    - Lerning Python by Alan Lutz .This is the favorite of many people.
    It's very good but not nessesary the best, at least not for me.
    - Core Python programming by Wesley Chun. Another very good one.
    - Python Bible (don't remember the author..)
    - Python Visual Quickstart guide.

    Take this advice:
    Work with the online tutorials listed above. Take your time and follow
    them at your own pace, and use also the official python tutorial which
    comes with the IDLE (see the HELP menu).
    There's no need to buy books, because I sincerelly think that all you
    need is available online, but getting a book or two wont harm you...

    Once you reach the comfortability level, you can go to a bookstore and
    see briefly which style suits you best. All the books listed above are
    very good
    (and sorry for my english).

    Good luck and enjoy...
    Python is fun!

    Luis
    Neuruss, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Mark

    John Guest

    Mark <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello. I am new to programming and Python and was wondering if someone
    > could help get me started. I picked Python to start learning to prgram
    > because of some things I have read about it (easy to learn, object
    > oriented, clear syntax, etc...). Can anyone assist in getting me
    > started with learning to program and Python? Recommended reading
    > material? Online tutorials? Recommended development tools (wxpython,
    > pythonwin, etc...)? I am a network admin by trade and have done little
    > programming except for the occasional script or router config. this is
    > something that has always interested me, but don't have the time to take
    > any formal classes. Thanks for the help.

    I really haven't read any books. All I used was online tutorials.
    Python probably the best teach your self documentation online compared
    to any languages I know.

    A LOT of good online docs included in ActivePython. PythonWin is a
    very good IDE.

    Lots of links here
    http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html
    I listed some below that I am familiar with. I see that the number has
    grown since I last checked. So decide by yourself.

    Begin with
    Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python (ActivePython)
    How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
    (http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/)
    "Instant Python" (http://www.hetland.org/python/instant-python.php)
    looks like a good start

    Intermediate
    Python Tutorial (included in all Python distributions)

    Dive Into Python (ActivePython)
    John, Aug 3, 2004
  5. I'm new to all this too. I recommend Michael Dawson's "Python
    Programming For The Absolute Beginner" (Premier Press, 452 pages).

    It's really fun as it walks you through Python basics by having you
    make little games. By the time you are done with the book you will
    have made an Asteroids like game with sounds, music, and animation. I
    think it was written with kids in mind, not that it's simple, just
    somehow really clear.

    THE BAD: The book's CD has only MS Windows versions of the software
    used. Most of the book's examples are cross platform (if you do your
    own downloads and installs), except for things that use Livewires. The
    author says that he made changes to the standard Livewires library, so
    you might get frustrated towards the end if you use Linux or Mac. I
    hope that gets fixed because other than that, I think this is just
    about the perfect intro book for younger programmers.

    Not to knock Alan Gauld's "Learn to Program Using Python"
    (Addison-Wesley, 270 pages). It's also a great beginner's book. I
    enjoyed reading that too.

    Alan's book gets straight to the point, and feels more "Intro to
    Computer Science" minded. It explains some theory and terminology,
    then shows how that works in Python, and a bit about other languages.
    Dawson's book is more like we're gonna make a game, here's what we do
    to build it.
    Brian Zimmerman, Aug 3, 2004