New to Python Would like debug advice

PatrickMinnesota

Yep, I'm new to the language, it's been a couple of months.

I opted for gvim and console window for developing on a Windows XP
box. I'm not a huge fan of IDEs except for when I need some
debugging. I've done my googling and see a bunch of options out there
for a debugging solution for Python on Windows.

I've used Eclipse for a few years for Java development and I
understand there is a Python module for it that might make sense.

What I'm looking for is advice on what to use to debug general Python
programs at the source level, some will be graphical. If the eclipse
route is the way to go, that's fine, but I'm wondering what other
options people have good luck with. Keep in mind I will probably
continue to use Vi/Emacs and a console window for my main development.

Thanks.

Bruno Desthuilliers

PatrickMinnesota a écrit :
Yep, I'm new to the language, it's been a couple of months.

I opted for gvim and console window for developing on a Windows XP
box. I'm not a huge fan of IDEs except for when I need some
debugging. I've done my googling and see a bunch of options out there
for a debugging solution for Python on Windows.

I've used Eclipse for a few years for Java development and I
understand there is a Python module for it that might make sense.

What I'm looking for is advice on what to use to debug general Python
programs at the source level, some will be graphical. If the eclipse
route is the way to go, that's fine, but I'm wondering what other
options people have good luck with. Keep in mind I will probably
continue to use Vi/Emacs and a console window for my main development.

If you're ok with a command line interface, Python already provide one:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-pdb.html

Ramsey Nasser

Yep, I'm new to the language, it's been a couple of months.

I opted for gvim and console window for developing on a Windows XP
box. I'm not a huge fan of IDEs except for when I need some
debugging. I've done my googling and see a bunch of options out there
for a debugging solution for Python on Windows.

I've used Eclipse for a few years for Java development and I
understand there is a Python module for it that might make sense.

What I'm looking for is advice on what to use to debug general Python
programs at the source level, some will be graphical. If the eclipse
route is the way to go, that's fine, but I'm wondering what other
options people have good luck with. Keep in mind I will probably
continue to use Vi/Emacs and a console window for my main development.

Thanks.

Debugging Python in eclipse is great. It's the same as debugging in
Java, so you don't have to learn any new interface or concepts to get
started.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Ramsey Nasser a écrit :
Debugging Python in eclipse is great.

Specially thru ssh on an overloaded web server...
It's the same as debugging in
Java, so you don't have to learn any new interface or concepts to get
started.

There's some differences here. I don't even dream of trying to write any
non-trivial Java progarm without a debugger. OTHO, I already wrote a few
non-trivial Python programs (and some others that would have been
non-trivial in Java) without having to use pdb - a couple trace and the
interactive shell where quite enough. So perhaps there's at least one
new concept to learn here : you don't need a mammoth IDE to be
productive with an agile language.

My 2 cents.

Nir

Yep, I'm new to the language, it's been a couple of months.

I opted for gvim and console window for developing on a Windows XP
box. I'm not a huge fan of IDEs except for when I need some
debugging. I've done my googling and see a bunch of options out there
for a debugging solution for Python on Windows.

I've used Eclipse for a few years for Java development and I
understand there is a Python module for it that might make sense.

What I'm looking for is advice on what to use todebuggeneral Python
programs at the source level, some will be graphical. If the eclipse
route is the way to go, that's fine, but I'm wondering what other
options people have good luck with. Keep in mind I will probably
continue to use Vi/Emacs and a console window for my main development.

Thanks.

Try Winpdb (On Linux as well).