New to the group - with question.

Discussion in 'C++' started by vknid, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. vknid

    vknid Guest

    Hello everyone!

    I'm new to this newsgroup and also to C++. I've just started looking into
    learning C++ so I know very little about it. I'm hoping with this group and
    the books I have on order, I'll be able to write useful programs.

    I wanted to say I have read through the FAQ for this group that Shiva has
    kindly posted. Very helpful stuff, it has given me a few more books to add
    to my list.

    I have one question though, I tried doing a search for it here, but didn't
    see anything in regards to it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a beginner's
    video training course for C++? I know of a few programs that offer it, but
    the price ranges from $500 to $1000. I'm looking for something more around
    free =) Might be a stretch, but thought I would ask anyway.

    Thanks.

    ..jH
    vknid, Jul 26, 2004

  2. vknid

    Nolan Martin Guest

    "vknid" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone!
    >

    > I'm new to this newsgroup and also to C++. I've just started looking into
    > learning C++ so I know very little about it. I'm hoping with this group

    and
    > the books I have on order, I'll be able to write useful programs.
    >

    > I wanted to say I have read through the FAQ for this group that Shiva has
    > kindly posted. Very helpful stuff, it has given me a few more books to add
    > to my list.
    >

    > I have one question though, I tried doing a search for it here, but didn't
    > see anything in regards to it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a

    beginner's
    > video training course for C++? I know of a few programs that offer it, but
    > the price ranges from $500 to $1000. I'm looking for something more around
    > free =) Might be a stretch, but thought I would ask anyway.
    >

    > Thanks.
    >

    > .jH

    Hi there and welcome,
    I have a few resources youll need...
    www.cprogramming.com - This site taught me the ABC's of C++, it was all I
    needed to start programming :) Although their explanation of classes and
    pointers suck :p
    Thinking in C++ - http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
    Great resource for all the nitty gritty parts of C++, I use it daily.
    STL - http://www.msoe.edu/eecs/ce/courseinfo/stl/index.htm
    Boost Librarys - http://www.boost.org/ <<--I was just given this one
    and am loving it

    I hope these help. I learned the language quite extensivly without even
    spending a dime.
    Email me if you need anything specific, I have lots more :D
    Nolan Martin, Jul 26, 2004

  3. vknid wrote:

    > I have one question though, I tried doing a search for it here, but didn't
    > see anything in regards to it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a beginner's
    > video training course for C++? I know of a few programs that offer it, but
    > the price ranges from $500 to $1000. I'm looking for something more around
    > free =) Might be a stretch, but thought I would ask anyway.

    Hmm.
    I would forget the idea of a video course. Take that money and spend it
    on some good books. You simply get more value out of it.

    "Hey Bob, today we are talking about the 'for' instruction"
    "Wow, John! That sounds like a lot of fun!"
    "Yes, Bob. And it is easy too"
    "Yes, John. So what about it. What can I do with it"
    "Well, Bob. You can build looping constructs with it"
    "Thats interesting John, lets see it in action!"
    "Here it is Bob, I let variable i count from 0 to 10"
    "Fantastic John, and it is so easy to do!"
    "Yes, Bob. And that's not all. See how I can use it to count
    up to 20, but this time only the odd numbers"
    "John, I am really impressed!"

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger
    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Jul 26, 2004
  4. vknid wrote:

    > I have one question though, I tried doing a search for it here, but didn't
    > see anything in regards to it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a beginner's
    > video training course for C++? I know of a few programs that offer it, but
    > the price ranges from $500 to $1000. I'm looking for something more around
    > free =) Might be a stretch, but thought I would ask anyway.

    Forget about video training courses, any money and time spend on those
    would be wasted. A video training course may help you get familiar with
    an IDE, but programming languages like C++ cannot be learned by just
    watching TV. What you need is one or more good books, a lot of time, and
    a compiler so you can try things yourself.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Jul 26, 2004
  5. vknid

    Phlip Guest

    Peter van Merkerk wrote:

    > vknid wrote:
    >
    > > I have one question though, I tried doing a search for it here, but

    didn't
    > > see anything in regards to it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a

    beginner's
    > > video training course for C++? I know of a few programs that offer it,

    but
    > > the price ranges from $500 to $1000. I'm looking for something more

    around
    > > free =) Might be a stretch, but thought I would ask anyway.

    > Forget about video training courses, any money and time spend on those
    > would be wasted. A video training course may help you get familiar with
    > an IDE, but programming languages like C++ cannot be learned by just
    > watching TV. What you need is one or more good books, a lot of time, and
    > a compiler so you can try things yourself.

    Put CygWin on your notebook, and bring it to your nearest users group.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Jul 26, 2004
  6. vknid

    jeffc Guest

    "vknid" <> wrote in message
    > I wanted to say I have read through the FAQ for this group that Shiva has
    > kindly posted. Very helpful stuff, it has given me a few more books to add
    > to my list.

    By the way, I'd recommend getting the book version of the FAQ - it's better,
    and very handy.
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/faq-book.html
    jeffc, Jul 26, 2004