New Version of Custom Control Not Seen by Designer (but page sees it)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by John Saunders, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. I could swear I've seen this work for other controls:

    I've got two instances of devenv running. One has the solution containing my
    custom controls. The other has the solution containing the page which uses
    the custom controls (call that instance P.sln).

    Now, when the custom control is modified (for instance, if I add a
    property), and then built, it's natural that P.sln doesn't see the change.
    But I could swear I've seen it where building the P.sln solution _does_ see
    the change in the designer. Certainly if I execute the page, the new
    property takes effect.

    Exiting the P.sln instance and restarting devenv on that solution shows the
    changes.

    For other reasons, I was curious about the html being generated at
    design-time, so I added "Debug.WriteLine(designTimeHtml)" to the designer
    then debugged the P.sln instance from a third instance of devenv. In
    addition to showing me the design-time HTML, it showed me "AppDomain:
    notice that the assembly containing my custom control is _not_ reloaded at
    that time, and in fact, _none_ of the out-of-solution assemblies are
    reloaded.

    Could I be doing something wrong in my control or its designer? There's only
    one other thing happening at design-time which looks like it could be my
    bug, and I don't see how that's related (I'll post that on another thread).
    Should I be releasing something to permit devenv to release the designer
    instance? I don't see that my designer is holding on to anything - it does
    little more than catch exceptions in GetDesignTimeHtml and do
    "CreatePlaceHolderDesignTimeHtml(ex.ToString());".

    Thanks,
    John Saunders
    John Saunders, Jul 13, 2003