New Web Sites - Not Serving Up ASPX Pages (but .htm is okay)

Frankie

I'm writing a small C# utility application that creates new Web Sites via
ADSI. It seems to work just fine for the most part -- meaning that IIS
Metabase entries look either identical or "different where expected" - when
comparing Web Sites created with my utility against Web Sites created
"manually" with IIS Manager. I'm comparing the sites visually (eye balling
it) with Metabase Explorer.

The problem I have with Web Sites created with my utility is that they can
serve up index.htm just fine, but not even the simplest version of
default.aspx.

The error message I get when attempting to view the page in IE6 is "The Page
cannot be displayed" and "Cannot find server or DNS Error". I have
eliminated DNS as the problem because I can PING the Web site by its domain
name (over the Internet) - and it serves up index.htm just fine.

The Default.aspx page has only <%@ Page %> at the top followed by the
usual/minimal HTML elements to define a page. When viewing the Web site
through IIS Manager - the Documents tab does in fact have a check in the
checkbox for "enable default content page" and default.aspx is listed there
as the only document (unless I swap that out for index.htm for testing
purposes).

Any suggestions for helping me determine what is causing the site to not
serve up aspx pages are greatly appreciated.

FWIW: IIS 6.0, I have stopped and restarted the Web site via IIS Manager,
and I have also recycled the application pool to which it belongs.

Thanks!

Frankie

I came up with a work-around; but I'd still appreciate any suggestions so
that I don't have to do this work-around:

The way I have found to get these sites to serve up aspx pages is to open
IIS Manager, view the properties for the site in question, go to the [Home
Directory] tab, and click [Remove] next to the Application Name textbox in
the Application Settings area. Then I immediately click on [Add] to add the
application back in. That fixed it (the site then served up aspx pages just
fine). I also recycled the Application pool - but that may have been
unnecessary.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Juan T. Llibre

What you're missing is

1. mapping the application to aspnet_isapi.dll.

drive:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\Vx.x.xxxxx\aspnet_isapi.dll

There's several extensions which you should map to aspnet_isapi.dll.

See a list at :
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6667.asp

You probably should look at running aspnet_regiis.exe for the virtual
root you created, with the parameters you desire, typically -i .

and

2. setting the default document to "default.aspx".

You'd have to use ADSI for that :

'Only setting two properties
vDir.DefaultDoc = vDir.DefaultDoc & ",default.aspx"

'Write information back to Metabase
vDir.SetInfo

See http://www.15seconds.com/issue/980304.htm for an example.

Frankie said:
[...]

Thanks Juan,
What my utility was missing was a call to AppCreate2.

Basically the application wasn't being created correctly in IIS even though
I was explicitly setting all of the metabase properties (or at least those
properties that I could see through Metabase Explorer).

And, just in case others are interested in this thread, I tried
aspnet_regiis as suggested, but it didn't solve the problem. I'm not sure
what all AppCreate2 does behind the scenes, but whatever it does is
apparently necessary; and not all of its changes are apparent in Metabase
Explorer.

Thanks again!

-F