New website, need opinions and bugfix

Kim André Akerø

I'm currently revamping my personal website, and I need some opinions:
http://www.neonnero.com/nn2preview/

None of the links on the right-hand navigation menu work yet, so don't
bother. This is just a basic preview with the actual XHTML code in place.

I've managed to conform to known standards (valid XHTML and CSS code), but
it look slightly odd in Internet Explorer 6.0 (latest with all updates). It
looks fine in Opera 7.54 (my main browser, btw), Mozilla Firefox 0.9 and
Netscape 7.1, but Internet Explorer is the only one where there's an open
space between the top part and the lower part of the logo.

I've split this image in two to accommodate the second <div> where all the
main content will be, and used line-height: 0 in CSS to make sure there's no
line spacing between these two.

So what am I doing wrong? And what should I do to fix this problem?

I know, IE is buggy and should be avoided at all costs, but I still want to
make sure visitors will get just about the same experience, no matter what
browser they're using (except for text-based browsers, but it'll look OK
there as well).

Kim André Akerø

Kim André Akerø said:
I'm currently revamping my personal website, and I need some opinions:
http://www.neonnero.com/nn2preview/

None of the links on the right-hand navigation menu work yet, so don't
bother. This is just a basic preview with the actual XHTML code in place.

Never mind. I solved the problem using an alternate method. Layering <div>s
within eachother using different background images worked better. It now
looks good in all browsers at my disposal.

WebcastMaker

So what am I doing wrong? And what should I do to fix this problem?
Time to make a decision about supporting browsers...
I know, IE is buggy and should be avoided at all costs...

And used by 80%+ of the visitors to your site...

Kim André Akerø

WebcastMaker said:
Time to make a decision about supporting browsers...

Yes, but different browsers have different rendering solutions. In my
opinion, it's a webdesigner's task to make sure a website conforms to known
standards as well as making the website look good no matter which browser
the visitor uses.

The original problem has been overcome (see a seperate reply to this thread
made by me), but the original problem was that the website looked good in
all browsers EXCEPT Internet Explorer. Only IE created a blank space between
the upper and lower halves of the logo at the top.
And used by 80%+ of the visitors to your site...

I know, I was just making a point to those who were thinking about replying
in the "don't use it, it sucks" tone.

Sam Hughes

Time to make a decision about supporting browsers...

And used by 80%+ of the visitors to your site...

But 0.000000001%+ of statistics are made up on the spot.

:)