    What's the difference? Why would I want to choose one way over the other?

    Thanks,
    Ron
    Ronald S. Cook, Dec 20, 2007

  2. The website will allow compiling each page on the fly, if you opt to put
    source on the server. It also compiles each folder and/or page (per rules)
    as a different DLL.

    The web app project produces a single DLL (ala Visual Studio .NET) and you
    cannot easily compile on the fly unless you stick code in the actual page
    (not completely sure about that either).

    I generally use the web app project type, as I deploy full sites, not
    partial. In fact, I see little purpose in deploying single pages for an
    Enterprise site (I am sure someone, somewhere has a good reason). You can
    set either to go to http://localhost/siteName.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 20, 2007

  3. "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I generally use the web app project type, as I deploy full sites

    Me too. In fact, once you install the Web Deployment Projects, it's all
    fairly irrelevant anyway...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Dec 20, 2007
  4. Ronald S. Cook

    bruce barker Guest

    its just a preference. web applications are most compatiable with VS 2003
    projects (which was the justification for adding the feature) .

    the main difference is with web applications, there is a project file and
    and visual studio compiles the codebehind files into a dll, then compiles the
    aspx pages. with a web site visual studio uses the aspnet_compiler to compile
    the aspx page and the codebehind. both support additional project files for
    library dlls (via a solution file).

    due to the compile methods, web sites need global methods defined in
    app_code, and if a page references another one a reference directive is
    required, or an interface should be defined in app_code, and a cast done.

    the implemention of web applications is a little hacky (vs goes thru hoops
    to keep the aspnet_compiler happy), but you will find lots of developers like
    it.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 20, 2007
  5. Thanks. Once I create my web application (which will be named
    D:\Web\Westinis.RecordPlay.Client), how do I then make it so I can go to
    http://localhost/recordplay to see it from my browser?

    In IIS when I right-click, I see options "Convert to Application", "Add
    Application", and "Add Virtual Directory". Do I want to do any of these?

    Thanks again,
    Ron

    Ronald S. Cook, Dec 20, 2007
  6. Ronald S. Cook

    Eric Guest

    On Dec 20, 1:23 pm, "Ronald S. Cook" <> wrote:
    > Thanks.  Once I create my web application (which will be named
    > D:\Web\Westinis.RecordPlay.Client), how do I then make it so I can go tohttp://localhost/recordplayto see it from my browser?
    >
    > In IIS when I right-click, I see options "Convert to Application", "Add
    > Application", and "Add Virtual Directory".  Do I want to do any of these?

    It has to be an IIS application. If you add an application or virtual
    dir it will make a new one, so don't use an "add" option.

    I don't understand the path you gave: D:\Web
    \Westinis.RecordPlay.Client

    It's not an HTTP path, so IIS is not used. If you make an IIS
    application, you would run it like:
    http://localhost/RecordPlay/PageName.aspx (note that I would not
    use periods, I'm fairly sure that would be illegal)

    You really need to get a beginners book. It will help a lot.

    Eric.
    Eric, Dec 24, 2007
  7. Ronald S. Cook

    clintonG Guest

    Actually, dotted notation is supported in directories and filenames and is
    overlooked as a very valuable naming methodology that lends itself well to
    development objectives. I've actually created a file naming grammar
    delineated with dotted notation and while I haven't deployed the application
    yet doing so is going to help improve search engine optimization as well as
    make it a lot easier to use helper classes with the split method to slice
    and dice directory and filename data processing.

    One of these days I'll blog about it and probably catch hell from all the
    narrow minded status quo thinkers but then again maybe not...

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Dec 27, 2007